No
38 (58.5%)
Yes
25 (38.5%)
Undecided
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Zapatista

Looks like Treaties are to be ammended without referendum. I think this used to be a big issue.

http://register.consilium.europa.eu/pdf/en/10/st00/st00011.en10.pdf

Zapatista

lynchbhoy

more worried that if we have to be bailed out by IMF or Eurozone - that we will lose the only thing thats keeping this country afloat - the low corporation tax rate !

in recent weeks it has been said again by the vultures circling the Irish financial patient that there shoul dbe a standard corporate rate of tax in the eurozone.
if we default and have to be bailed out - this is what they will be after - we will have to concede in order to be bailed out.

Originally I thought that they might try to squeeze us via threats over fishing/agri quotas etc - which we may have been able to get past. If its a default then its game over for our pole position in attracting and retaiining foreign multinationals!

Zapatista

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 29, 2010, 09:37:38 AM
more worried that if we have to be bailed out by IMF or Eurozone - that we will lose the only thing thats keeping this country afloat - the low corporation tax rate !

in recent weeks it has been said again by the vultures circling the Irish financial patient that there shoul dbe a standard corporate rate of tax in the eurozone.
if we default and have to be bailed out - this is what they will be after - we will have to concede in order to be bailed out.

Originally I thought that they might try to squeeze us via threats over fishing/agri quotas etc - which we may have been able to get past. If its a default then its game over for our pole position in attracting and retaiining foreign multinationals!

If we are to be bailed out the bailout will be more important to us than our corp tax rate. If we are to be bailed out it's becauce even the tax rate can't save us. It's much more than the tax rate at stake it's what's left of our sovereignty.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Zapatista on October 29, 2010, 09:44:22 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 29, 2010, 09:37:38 AM

If we are to be bailed out the bailout will be more important to us than our corp tax rate. If we are to be bailed out it's becauce even the tax rate can't save us. It's much more than the tax rate at stake it's what's left of our sovereignty.
being bailed out will help prop us up temporarily. After this if we have no industry left due to losing jobs through multinatinal spulling the plug then the bailout will be all for nothing.
its a catch 22 but I disagree with you over which of these is more important.

Short term yes bailout is more important, but long term expense of our financial viability.

Suppose its just critical to avoid having to be bailed out really !

Lone Shark

Quote from: Lone Shark on September 03, 2009, 12:36:17 PM
I have one reason for voting no, and one reason only, which I am willing to change my mind over if anyone can convince me otherwise. This was why I voted no the last time, and why I will do again unless anyone can explain to me why I'm mistaken.

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-european-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/135-article-48.html

The above is the text for Article 48 of the Treaty. As with all parts of the treaty, it's difficult for a layman to understand, but I've been told by others who would be quite competent in this area, that this basically means that the Lisbon Treaty has the power to expand itself, so to speak.

Essentially, my concern is not what is in the Lisbon Treaty currently, but what they can choose to add in down the line, with only the say so of our national government. By installing the Lisbon Treaty into our constitution, are we essentially installing the Lisbon Treaty as it stands, or installing it in whatever shape or form it may take in time?

Put simply, I don't trust our government to uphold the will of the people on European matters - our politicians simply want a quiet life. I'm not sure why that is, whether they like the idea of the European parliament doing the dog's work behind legislating or they simply like being the nice guys at parties, but in every European referendum, we tend to vote something between 60% yes and 45% yes. In every European referendum so far, our elected TD's have been 90% yes more or less. They simply don't represent our wishes in this area - so I'm not willing to sign over competency from our constitution over to our government. I've been told that this is what I'm doing, can anyone tell me otherwise - or indeed confirm for everyone else out there?

Looks like I've finally managed to get my answer on this anyway.