Trevor Brennan does a Cantona!

Started by GalwayBayBoy, January 21, 2007, 08:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlimShady

the fan will no doubt be banned but its unfortunate that it took a player to beat lumps out of him to get him banned, had Brennan not punched him then there would have been no banning for the supporter!

this goes on everywhere-GAA included.

Hardy

I decided to take a look at L'Equipe, expecting this to be on the front page. Nothing. So I did a search for 'Brennan' and this is all that's in today's paper:

QuoteBrennan cité par l'Ulster
Trevor Brennan va être cité par la province irlandaise de l'Ulster suite à l'incident ayant opposé le Toulousain à un adversaire lors du match de Coupe d'Europe dimanche. «Nous allons déposer une plainte contre Trevor Brennan pour ce qu'il a fait à notre joueur, le deuxième ligne Justin Harrison, a expliqué l'entraîneur Mark McCall. Nous avons beaucoup de chance que Justin n'ait rien de grave».     

Les deux joueurs se sont battus à la 55e minute et ont reçu un carton jaune. Mais l'Ulster rejette la faute sur le Toulousain, et compte également relever des coups que Brennan aurait portés à des supporters du club irlandais. Accusé de piétinement, Brennan avait déjà comparu devant la commission de discipline de l'ERC en novembre, mais il avait été blanchi.

Well, i could grasp the gist of that, but my French isn't that hot, so I ran it through Babelfish and it came out like this:

QuoteBrennan quoted by Ulster
Trevor Brennan will be quoted by the Irish province of Ulster following the incident having opposed the Toulouse one to an adversary at the time of the match of Cut of Europe Sunday. "We will deposit a complaint against Trevor Brennan for what it did to our player, the second line Justin Harrison, explained the trainer Mark McCall. We have much chance that Justin does not have anything low register ".

The two players fought with the 55e minute and received a yellow paperboard. But Ulster rejects the fault on the Toulouse one, and also hopes to raise of the blows that Brennan would have carried to supporters of the Irish club. Shown trampling, Brennan had already appeared before the commission of discipline of the ERC before November, but it had been bleached.

Is it any wonder I struggle to make sense of rugby?

Mayo4Sam

I always hate getting a yellow paperboard
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

QuoteTrevor Brennan will be quoted by the Irish province of Ulster following the incident having opposed the Toulouse one to an adversary at the time of the match of Cut of Europe Sunday. "We will deposit a complaint against Trevor Brennan for what it did to our player, the second line Justin Harrison, explained the trainer Mark McCall. We have much chance that Justin does not have anything low register ".

The two players fought with the 55e minute and received a yellow paperboard. But Ulster rejects the fault on the Toulouse one, and also hopes to raise of the blows that Brennan would have carried to supporters of the Irish club. Shown trampling, Brennan had already appeared before the commission of discipline of the ERC before November, but it had been bleached.
[/size]

Good moaning, thank you for the much great postings.

QuoteWe have much chance that Justin does not have anything low register
[/size]

I big suggest he go to the Dictor to have check out his register.
MWWSI 2017

Captain Scarlet

jaysus wouldnt mind only since he went to france brennan had clamed down.

i tells ya id much rather a lame kick eric than a box or two off trev.

thats him finished id say though.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Donagh

On Livewhinge now. Apparently the abuse went on for 15 minutes and included:

"You fenian bastard"

"Your mother's a whore"

James, an Ulster supporters is denying this and said the abuse was:

"Your pub is a load of bollix"

Sounds like the guy who made the "fenian" allegation is talking shite. Also told James the Ulster supporter, "you're a different breed up there".

AZOffaly

Who does Brennan write his Diary for? Could be an interesting column this week :D

Dinny Breen

He writes for the Irish Times and the ERC Rugby Website  :o

Should be interesting.....
#newbridgeornowhere

Josey Whales

He's right though a minority of the Ulster rugby supporters are a different breed. It's well known that that they have a few clowns following them at Ravenhill  that would abuse opposing players at lineout time for example. It really wouldn't surprise me if the allegations are true.

cavan4ever

Evil Genius

There are a lot of people jumping to conclusions here, but the "facts", so far, appear to be these.

1. Something is likely to have been said to wind up TB, but we can't be certain it was the victim said it (not always easy to identify one individual in a crowd);
2. Even assuming the victim did say something, it might have been innocuous, or misheard, by TB;
3. Even if what was said by the victim was offensive (personal, sectarian etc), the correct response is for TB would be to have him thrown out/arrested (shouldn't be too hard for s.o. as popular/well connected in Toulouse as TB);
4. In any circumstances (sports pitch or street), if "A" insults "B" verbally, no matter how grievously, and "B" responds with a serious physical assault, "B" will face prosecution and can only plead provocation as mitigation, not a defence;
5. We all know people who are quiet and inoffensive normally, but when they pull on a rugby/soccer/GAA shirt, their character changes. Doubtless TB is a true gent in "civilian" life, but when he crosses the line onto a rugby pitch, he has a track record of thuggery;
6. Never mind his altercation with the fan, he also got involved in a punch-up with another player during the match, for which he was sinbinned (some would say lucky not to have been red-carded)

Imo, TB will be lucky if he's not arrested and charged with ABH (even GBH?), or French equivalent. And unless French law is markedly different from here, it's hard to see how he'll get off.

As for the "victim", I have not yet seen any compelling evidence that he said something outrageous, but there is persuasive evidence emrging to the contrary (if the websites can be believed)

Of course, if he did insult TB's mother/religion etc, he should be banned from rugby for life. But under the "innocent until proven guilty" principle, it's too early to condemn him just yet.

P.S. Alfie Thomas appears to be no angel, either, having already gained a criminal record in France for assaulting a Frenchman and his girlfriend in a bar in Pau. Though seemingly not the worst culprit, Thomas was one of three rugby players found guilty of the attack on the couple:
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200511/s1503286.htm

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

realredhandfan

Last week Leinster were mad keen to get up to Ulster and play their matches at Ravenhill,  with supporters like that would this still be the case. Any Lenister Rugby men want to comment? :-*

Evil Genius

Brennan cité par l'Ulster
Trevor Brennan va être cité par la province irlandaise de l'Ulster suite à l'incident ayant opposé le Toulousain à un adversaire lors du match de Coupe d'Europe dimanche. «Nous allons déposer une plainte contre Trevor Brennan pour ce qu'il a fait à notre joueur, le deuxième ligne Justin Harrison, a expliqué l'entraîneur Mark McCall. Nous avons beaucoup de chance que Justin n'ait rien de grave».     

Les deux joueurs se sont battus à la 55e minute et ont reçu un carton jaune. Mais l'Ulster rejette la faute sur le Toulousain, et compte également relever des coups que Brennan aurait portés à des supporters du club irlandais. Accusé de piétinement, Brennan avait déjà comparu devant la commission de discipline de l'ERC en novembre, mais il avait été blanchi.

Here goes:
Brennan cited by Ulster
TB is going to be cited by Irish Province Ulster, following an incident with an opponent in the European Cup game with Toulouse game on Sunday.
"We are going to to make a complaint against TB for what he did to our player, second rower Justin Harrison" explained Ulster trainer Mark McCall. "It was very lucky Justin wasn't seriously hurt"
The two players came to blows in the 55th minute and were yellow-carded. Ulster lay the blame on TB and want to raise at the same time (equally?) the punches TB threw against Ulster's supporters (plural). Accused of stamping, TB has already appeared before the ERC Disciplinary Commission in November, but was cleared.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Quote from: realredhandfan on January 22, 2007, 02:32:49 PM
Last week Leinster were mad keen to get up to Ulster and play their matches at Ravenhill,  with supporters like that would this still be the case. Any Lenister Rugby men want to comment? :-*

I been to Ravenhill many times and have never witnessed anything other than good natured banter. I do also seem to remember a game in Croke Park were a former Tyrone player in the stands gave serious abuse to an Armagh player and threw a cup at him.

realredhandfan

Donagh and your point is?
The only time I was ever at ravenhill, I can honestly suffered terribly, The chanting was frightening, the crowd a cesspit of humanity; and the police just sat back and done nothing ....... that was my last time ever watching meatloaf and the quo.