Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 13, 2017, 12:24:35 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on December 13, 2017, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on December 13, 2017, 11:41:52 AM
Is anyone doing Tollymore 10K at the start of Jan? Or has anyone done it in the past? What type of trainers would be best?

Who is organising that? Wouldn't mind doing it, also looked at the night races, one there too...need something to get back at it. Have never done the race but would have done plenty of running round Tollymore (and Castlewellan) park, its trail running really, although I have never worn anything other than my standard trainers a pair of trail trainers (soloman or the likes) would probably help. Depending on conditions it can get quite slippy, took a tumble myself there a few months ago.

cheers, I will probably just use my ordinary runners - reebok nanos - given the proximity to Christmas

http://www.born2runevents.com/races.php?s=tollymore

Assuming it will mostly be around the black path of tollymore? If so i ran it a few years ago. Just ordinary runners will do fine.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

I ran a down hill marathon on Saturday in Tucson Arizona. Im a very average runner and finished 3 42. If some of the good runners on here wanted a personal best I would highly recommend this run. Beautiful weather and lovely scenery.

tonto1888

Quote from: lurganblue on December 13, 2017, 02:21:35 PM
Is anyone doing Tollymore 10K at the start of Jan? Or has anyone done it in the past? What type of trainers would be best?

Who is organising that? Wouldn't mind doing it, also looked at the night races, one there too...need something to get back at it. Have never done the race but would have done plenty of running round Tollymore (and Castlewellan) park, its trail running really, although I have never worn anything other than my standard trainers a pair of trail trainers (soloman or the likes) would probably help. Depending on conditions it can get quite slippy, took a tumble myself there a few months ago.

cheers, I will probably just use my ordinary runners - reebok nanos - given the proximity to Christmas

Assuming it will mostly be around the black path of tollymore? If so i ran it a few years ago. Just ordinary runners will do fine.

it follows the forest path so Im assuming so

lfdown2

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 13, 2017, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on December 13, 2017, 02:21:35 PM

it follows the forest path so Im assuming so

Not quite the black path - mostly stays the car-park side of the river looking at the route, which is good in that it leaves out the climb half way round the black path, there is a stretch up to the exit gate that will be guttery but at least wont be slippy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on December 13, 2017, 02:53:04 PM
I ran a down hill marathon on Saturday in Tucson Arizona. Im a very average runner and finished 3 42. If some of the good runners on here wanted a personal best I would highly recommend this run. Beautiful weather and lovely scenery.

Downhill! What time did the winner post?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on December 13, 2017, 02:53:04 PM
Could you actually count it as a PB though?
If you were trying to qualify for Boston say for example (won't ever matter to me!) I doubt you could you use a downhill Marathon to get a qualifying time. I dunno I'm just asking btw.
Have you done a normal Marathon?  Just curious as to your PB compared to the downhill.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The winner came in at 2 30 and yes it is a Boston qualifier. Though it is a small marathon with only roughly 600 participants running the full. I ran 12 marathons but my last one was four years ago. My times usually were 350 to 410 range depending on the course.

mrdeeds

Downhill? How much downhill does it involve? Are you putting pressure on knees etc.... slowing yourself down?

No real stress on knees at all surprisingly. Id much pre fare it to be honest.

tonto1888

Tollymore 10k was fun yesterday. Gosford in a fortnight so I may do that also

No1

Out of interest Tonto, what was the entry fee for Tollymore?

I did the Castlewellan Christmas Cracker organised by Newcastle AC last Saturday. Holy f**k, toughest race I've ever done. Done a marathon and a sprint triathlon last year and I'd rather do either again instead of that. Brutal!!!

SHEEDY

Quote from: No1 on January 07, 2018, 08:38:47 PM

I did the Castlewellan Christmas Cracker organised by Newcastle AC last Saturday. Holy f**k, toughest race I've ever done. Done a marathon and a sprint triathlon last year and I'd rather do either again instead of that. Brutal!!!
agree 100%, didnt run the christmas cracker this year but have run it in previous years and its tough going. According to a few mates that done it this year was toughest yet. Running up those fields and through muck and gutters doesnt really interest me. It was more for the fell runners this year, i'd rather do a road run any day.
nil satis nisi optimum

imtommygunn

Have heard similar stories about the cracker this year. Looked rough!

Tollymore was born2run? I know people who rave about them but think they tend to be a bit dear...

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 07, 2018, 10:20:53 PM
Have heard similar stories about the cracker this year. Looked rough!

Tollymore was born2run? I know people who rave about them but think they tend to be a bit dear...

yeah rip off, 20 quid to run on a beach for eg, and any courses i did with them were either short or long so times were always off

avoid

tonto1888

Quote from: No1 on January 07, 2018, 08:38:47 PM

I paid £16 and that was the early bird offer. I think they are £20 otherwise