Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Had expected a bit of pile up at start, worked out well as I tend to start like the hammers and suffer for it, more controlled today!!

I felt sorry for stewards and their was plenty of them! At least we were moving.

It would be a great event on a dry night. Course is super alright and my running buddy reckons it lot better than the great Ireland run he done few back, said he'd do that one again over the other.

thebigfella

Done it myself and was aimining for around 45 for my first 10km or any sort of race. Hadn't been able to train for the last 4 weeks (in fact I reckon I only got 3 weeks training in) and hadn't run the full distance before. Ended up getting caught up in the last group (rookie mistake and won't happen again) to start and it was torture, was near 8 minutes from the gun going off until I went over the line. Started passing lots of people from the start and found it mentally tough as I thought I'd went off too quick; suppose if I'd been able to train more I'd have been confident of my pace. Ended up 55:06 and was slightly disapointed as I though I was around 50min pace. Looking back now I'm delighted as I was considering pulling out a week ago and the conditions were tough. At least now I have a good target to beat next time.
Have to say it was a great event and will deffinately do it again, even if the weather is that bad  :)

Bingo

Fair play bigfella, was a tough night for any run, never mind your first 10km. You'll soon get to grips with pacing yourself at start, very easy to read it round and tear off, as I often do.

Did either of you have a Garmin or the like? Mine give it a distance of 10.30km, mate was similar and I see some on boards.ie saying similar. Others say it was just short if you stuck to road. I did do a fair bit of weaving and moving to make up places, bit 300m is alot to be out.

the greatest jockey

got under 20 minutes for a 5k last week, wondering if yous have any general training advice?

thebigfella

Normally I'd have the iPhone but it was just too wet. Heard a couple of people say it was over 10km though.
Done a fair bit of weaving myself, I'd say there was only 150 behind me at the start. O'connell street was torture and only really managed to find some proper space after the theatre. Some buzz when your running past everyone though in the last 4 km.

ballinaman

Fair play bigfella, won't run many races in conditions as bad as that anyways!! Interesting Bingo, don't have a garmin myself though. The 90 degree turns round corners were dodgy enough with it being so wet, had to check the stride a fair few times to make sure i didn't take a tumble. Only spotted the 6km and 8km markers, were there any more?

Was gas in a race of 3,722 people from 7km-9km, I was totally by myself until I caught a few lads at the end. Felt like being out for a run by myself.

Bingo

Some people are suggesting that the conditions may not have helped and put the Garmins off, for instance one person mapped their run and it took him across the liffey rather than on the bridge, over buildings rather than round them, so was some errors alright.

I seen a few markers - 2km, 5km, 7km. They were poorly positioned in fairness - standing low on ground rather than hanging in air. I thought the last KM could have been marked more. Again conditions made it hard to spot them as head was down or focused on avoiding other runners or pavements or floods! Turns were tight alright at times and was hard to avoid people slowing and others going harder from behind plus your footing.

That was strange alright, no fear of that where I started from. We seemed to be constantly passing people.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on April 30, 2012, 12:13:25 PM
Some people are suggesting that the conditions may not have helped and put the Garmins off, for instance one person mapped their run and it took him across the liffey rather than on the bridge, over buildings rather than round them, so was some errors alright.

I seen a few markers - 2km, 5km, 7km. They were poorly positioned in fairness - standing low on ground rather than hanging in air. I thought the last KM could have been marked more. Again conditions made it hard to spot them as head was down or focused on avoiding other runners or pavements or floods! Turns were tight alright at times and was hard to avoid people slowing and others going harder from behind plus your footing.

That was strange alright, no fear of that where I started from. We seemed to be constantly passing people.

Doggy style running...I like it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on April 30, 2012, 03:55:53 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 30, 2012, 12:13:25 PM

Doggy style running...I like it.

Well, when one of the women runners stopped to bend over to tie her lace in the middle of O'Connell St I wouldn;t be surprised if it didn't cross a few minds  ;D

How is your 5km training going?

laoislad

Was just saying a few posts back that I missed a week and a bit so only at week 3 now instead of week 5.
Felt I went backwards a bit after missing a week but I'll see it out till the end even if it kills me!

laoislad

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 29, 2012, 12:32:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2012, 12:09:52 PM
How are the Couch to 5K brigade doing?

Finished week 4 this morning. Tough going but down about 5kgs.
Erm I have yet to complete Week 1. The missus has a school inspection in 2 weeks so there is no time. Will reconvene after 19th May as I have a few heavy nights on the lash this month.
lazy heure, get off yer hole!  ;)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: leaveherinsir on April 30, 2012, 11:26:28 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 29, 2012, 12:32:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 29, 2012, 12:09:52 PM
How are the Couch to 5K brigade doing?

Finished week 4 this morning. Tough going but down about 5kgs.
Erm I have yet to complete Week 1. The missus has a school inspection in 2 weeks so there is no time. Will reconvene after 19th May as I have a few heavy nights on the lash this month.
lazy heure, get off yer hole!  ;)
I will. Eventually!

Slipped back into eating shite in the evenings too - albeit less! I'll make a big effort from w/c 21st May right through the summer!

Mayo4Sam

Any doing the duathlon series in the Pheonix park tomorrow nite?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

5K in Kells next Monday at 11am. Can enter on the day in the Headfort Arms hotel from 9.30am to 10.30am. 20 yoyos. Going to spin across to it.