Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on April 01, 2012, 07:13:05 PM
I'm reckon i am about two stone overweight (about 14st4 atm)so need to start getting fit and losing a few pounds.
I bought an app on iTunes called Couch to 5k which is a training program that gives you running/walking routines to do every week for about 8 weeks.
Basically week 1 you do a 45 min program 3 nighs a week where you run for 30secs then walk for 4 mins then continue on that pattern running then walking, each week the running part gets longer and the walking getting shorter right till you can run 5k none stop.
Anyone tried anything like this and is it a good way to get into running?

Whatever gets you off your ass is a start. Follow that plan with an 8 week balanced diet also Laoislad. Weight will eventually drop off, I hate running, but manage to do 5k 4 days a week. For me it's the best way to lose the belly.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

I'm reckon i am about two stone overweight (about 14st4 atm)so need to start getting fit and losing a few pounds.
I bought an app on iTunes called Couch to 5k which is a training program that gives you running/walking routines to do every week for about 8 weeks.
Basically week 1 you do a 45 min program 3 nighs a week where you run for 30secs then walk for 4 mins then continue on that pattern running then walking, each week the running part gets longer and the walking getting shorter right till you can run 5k none stop.
I had lost a reasonable amount of weight up to Christmas but work has been nuts since then so getting home late and eating a lot of shite from vending machines in work. The weather of the past week seems to have got a lot of people out again.

Had a look at that app. You doing the timed or distance plan?

imtommygunn

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/get-started-schedules/30.html

Runners world plan for run-walk. I've heard good reports about it too.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 01, 2012, 07:37:15 PM
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/get-started-schedules/30.html

Runners world plan for run-walk. I've heard good reports about it too.
Cheers tommy. Seems like a good starting point (as well as not eating crisps and Yorkies out of the machine at work every day!).

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2012, 07:36:01 PM
I had lost a reasonable amount of weight up to Christmas but work has been nuts since then so getting home late and eating a lot of shite from vending machines in work. The weather of the past week seems to have got a lot of people out again.

Timed.
You run the app when you set off and it tells you when to run and when to walk, I also run Runkeeper when I set off and most evenings I'm doing about 4.5k between the running and walking which is for 45mins for week 1.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on April 01, 2012, 07:52:46 PM

Timed.
You run the app when you set off and it tells you when to run and when to walk, I also run Runkeeper when I set off and most evenings I'm doing about 4.5k between the running and walking which is for 45mins for week 1.

Right!

I am well overweight and haven't trained in years. But I like the look of that App. 8 weeks, will bring us to the end of May.

Day 1 Week will happen in the next few days. I will be back to update regarding the App if I actually make it to day 2 week 1.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on April 01, 2012, 09:53:32 PM

Timed.

Right!

I am well overweight and haven't trained in years. But I like the look of that App. 8 weeks, will bring us to the end of May.

Day 1 Week will happen in the next few days. I will be back to update regarding the App if I actually make it to day 2 week 1.

I have Day 2 Week 1 done,was suppose to do Day 3 tonight but didn't get round to it but will go tomorrow night.
btw there are a few different apps that do the same,the one I'm using is this one http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/run-5k/id313494823?mt=8

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on April 01, 2012, 09:56:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 01, 2012, 09:53:32 PM

Timed.

Right!

I have Day 2 Week 1 done,was suppose to do Day 3 tonight but didn't get round to it but will go tomorrow night.
[/quote
Ach that's you on the slide already. You're only fooling yourself.

laoislad

Thanks for the encouragement Tony,my wife said I'd never do it,now I have two people too prove wrong  :)

muppet

Is it a bad omen to make a resolution on April Fool's Day?
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on April 01, 2012, 10:06:09 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Tony,my wife said I'd never do it,now I have two people too prove wrong  :)
I'm gonna give it a lash too. Having a last couple of glasses of wine and some crisps. A new me starts tomorrow. Or Tuesday.

Bingo

The couch to 5k plans are great and the way to go for sure. Far better than just heading out and trying to run. The missus started one last Oct and done a 5km race in December, she wouldn't have run up the stairs before that. Now she is doing a 10km plan.

Their is also online plans for all types of goals - fat burning, fast 5km, first 5km, etc etc.

I started running again last summer and its amazing all the different aspects to it now. If i do 3/4 runs a week - all are to cover different aspects from slow, long runs, to short fast runs to Interval running to hill running etc etc. Far more to it that just running if thats what you want from it. Of course other people I know will just run for the enjoyment and thats fine as well.

EC Unique

What height are you LL?

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on April 01, 2012, 10:29:40 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 01, 2012, 10:05:24 AM
Well done bingo, last weekends race would have taken zip out of the legs for the last few km's alright. I remember reading somewhere that it roughly takes a day per mile raced to recover fully.

Is the Dundalk half on a Wednesday?? What time does it start?

I'll well believe it. I had planned to do a few km on rhursday or Friday to stretch the legs and open the lungs but couldn't get out.

The half is on 9th of may, it's an evening run alright. By all accounts it's a flat course on a circuit that is run twice. 10km on same night.
Sound Bingo, think i might have to give it a miss seeing as the Ballina half marathon is on the saturday, have to give it a right go this year. Was my first ever half last year and did it in 1.33....should clip a nice bit off it this year anyways. Looking at the Boyne 10km in Drogheda on May 6th, anyone ever do it? Heard it supposed to be hilly enough.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on April 02, 2012, 02:10:57 PM
Sound Bingo, think i might have to give it a miss seeing as the Ballina half marathon is on the saturday, have to give it a right go this year. Was my first ever half last year and did it in 1.33....should clip a nice bit off it this year anyways. Looking at the Boyne 10km in Drogheda on May 6th, anyone ever do it? Heard it supposed to be hilly enough.

I'm suppose to be doing the Boyne 10km on the 6th. Its a bit close to the Dundalk half, so have to decide yet. More obliged to the Boyne 10km as a friend is doing a run from Claremorris to Drogheda in 5 days - a marathon a day in July. Its for The Tania McCabe foundation and the charity also host the Boyne 10km, so he is been introduced at the 10km and asked if we'd be on hand to support him as his fundraising kicks off. He was in alot of the national papers on it last week.

I would imagine that their is a few hills in it as Drogheda is more of less on a hill. But i think alot of it is run by the Boyne itself, so that should mean its largely flat. 33mins won it last year.

Having another craic at a 5km this Monday, back in Dundalk as well.