Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Did it as well orior. Great wee event.

Results are up now as I did them!

Nothing embarassing about it... It's a good event to do regularly and get your time down.

Milltown Row2

is this a yearly thing? Would be interested in those
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Weekly MR.

9:30 ever saturday morning. Just register and bring your barcode.

There are a couple of boys associated with your club who do it from time to time.

the Deel Rover

I keep getting calf strains any advice lads as it doing my head in . i'm strectching well before running,have good running shoes. I was  running this morning and just had to pull up with the shot of pain  >:( . I have been playing on astroturf the past 3 years and never had any bother with strains.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ballinaman

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 13, 2011, 12:07:26 PM
I keep getting calf strains any advice lads as it doing my head in . i'm strectching well before running,have good running shoes. I was  running this morning and just had to pull up with the shot of pain  >:( . I have been playing on astroturf the past 3 years and never had any bother with strains.
How long into the run? Both legs? Where, towards back of knee or lower down towards the achilles? Whats your hamstring length like, can have a big affect on the calf muscles if short.
You need to hold stretch for at least 40 seconds in order to get a good stretch on the muscle fibres and for at least 3 or 4 reps. The soleus muscle which is underneath the main calf muscle is often over looked and needs to be stretched too.
I'd look into getting yourself a foam roller, they are brilliant for stretching out muscles. Only about 10 blips on amazon and well worth it.

imtommygunn

- Define good running shoes - do they suit your gait?
- Running puts a bit more impact on the muscles / joints so any shortness in muscles / lack of stretching will be exposed. As BM says there are two main muscles so make sure to do them both mainly after a run.
- Try heel drops as well as they're eccentric exercises which should help lengthen the muscle. (stand on the edge of a step face forward and drop your heels of the step - very good stretch)

Orior

I used to get sore calves after doing beach/sand dune training. I assume it was caused by the heel sinking and putting more stress on the calf.

On that theory, try dropping your arms and being more upright when jogging, in the style of Michael Jordan (I think).

Disclaimer: This might cause other issues, like getting yoiu arrested for looking stupid.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on November 04, 2011, 06:35:38 PM
First off i wouldn't be bothered about other peoples time if you have started back, just enjoy it and don't put too much emphasis on times. My PB's were back when I was 17 and training like a mad yoke. PB for 5K was 15.42 and 10K is 35.17. Would be happy with sub 18 in the Castleblaney 5k, haven't done a tap of short speed work for months.

Jaysus, 15.42 is a savage time, even sub 18 is right going. Done a timed 5km yesterday on parkland route yesterday with a few moderate slopes in it with a tight enough one at the finish. Did 23.05 for it and was happy with that - haven't been out running in a few weeks. Hopefully shave a minute plus off that for the 5km on a the flat route and with a bit more running under the belt.

Plans for the 5km going well - Gerry and ken running together for first time, Gerry will also be giving a talk on the day to all interested runners. 3 international triathletes - Dessie Duffy, Liam Dolan and Karl Kildea will also go head-to-head. Plenty of interest and Hector was talking about it on 2fm this morning - Aoife Garragher of AA roadwatch would be a local girl and is doing it and give it a will plug on the air this morning.

ballinaman

On a race day you'll always clip a nice bit off, no bother to you bingo. Sounds class, my knee has been at me since the marathon. The ITB insertion is inflammed and as soon as i run over 10 minutes it progressively gets worse. Need to take a few weeks off and commit myself to the proper rehab in order to stop it becoming worse and keeping me out for any longer. Have been blessed with injuries down through, stress fracture in the fibula when i was 17 and thats been it.

Bingo

Yeah, Ballinaman, anything i've ever done in a race (not too many mind) I've surprised myself with my times. Have been throwing a few side bets on with a few younger fellas in the football club and they've been very generous in the handicaps they've given me, so aim to collect a few quid on the day  ;)

Sounds like you've been lucky, a few fellas reckon running will have its wear and tear injuries but the longer term injuries like ACL are few and far between with less twisting and turning.

Rois

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 12, 2011, 02:08:05 PM
Weekly MR.

There are a couple of boys associated with your club who do it from time to time.

I saw that on their website, would def be very interested, just up the road from me.

Are there slow groups as well as fast? I'm thinking 5k in 27.5 mins or more to start with. Course I'd have to remain alcohol free on a Fri night for a while - which is no mean feat.

Orior

Quote from: Rois on November 14, 2011, 08:46:41 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 12, 2011, 02:08:05 PM
Weekly MR.

I saw that on their website, would def be very interested, just up the road from me.

Are there slow groups as well as fast? I'm thinking 5k in 27.5 mins or more to start with. Course I'd have to remain alcohol free on a Fri night for a while - which is no mean feat.

You would fit in very well Rois. Just register on the website, then print off your barcode and turn up at 9:15am beside the playground.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/waterworks/results/latestresults

There's a link to last week's results.

Everyone fits in at it - that's the good thing about it.  27.5 and you'd have plenty of runners around you - and behind you.

trasna man

folks looking for your knowledge i have a fitness test in February for the refereeing happy to run around a field during play but my mind dies when doing laps which is 8 (3200m) in 15 minutes can't get nearer than 18.30 have been doing 5k the last 2 weeks from the front door round the local estate 1 every 2 day started at 35 minutes now down to 31 minutes very hilly run should i stick to the 5k run or should i be in the gym doing shorter runs on the treed mill to improve my speed before going for distance getting 2 different opinions

imtommygunn

I would say do about thirty -forty minutes once a week(at a slow pace) to improve the fitness, some interval work and then do either a run or two more to get the fitness up or something else like biking / gym work. Intervals should be several reps of say 400 metres. Do say 4 by 400 and make sure that the pace of the first is the same as the pace of the last (otherwise they're too hard and you're not getting maximum benefit).

It may even make sense to do your intervals at the target pace. Increase the number of reps every week. Your 30/40 minute run should get easier.