Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Ha, ai thought you might do a bit at that time.

With that time sub 3 should be doable in a marathon.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2011, 10:35:25 PM
Ha, ai thought you might do a bit at that time.

With that time sub 3 should be doable in a marathon.
Did an hour 23 for a half a few weeks ago but i was spent in last 3 miles. First marathon so 3 hours is probably just out of reach, have to experience that pain beyond 20 miles!! :D

imtommygunn

I don't do the marathons but do the long runs up to 2 hours with a lot of guys some of whom would be sub 2:40.

I've seen quite a lot of boys try so hard to get the 3 and never get it and boys you never thought would get it get it.

The marathon is a funny old game - all in the head. Also difficult to get the peak right but I think a lot of it is in the preparation and the management of the body so if you prepare right very possible. (2 x half + 10 is a good approximation apparently)

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2011, 10:47:35 PM
I don't do the marathons but do the long runs up to 2 hours with a lot of guys some of whom would be sub 2:40.

I've seen quite a lot of boys try so hard to get the 3 and never get it and boys you never thought would get it get it.

The marathon is a funny old game - all in the head. Also difficult to get the peak right but I think a lot of it is in the preparation and the management of the body so if you prepare right very possible. (2 x half + 10 is a good approximation apparently)
Spot on alright. Tough to get the balance right, have to be careful not to over train. Want to have four 20 miler runs in around 2 and a half hours before October 31st. Looking forward to it though. The start of the ten mile was a joke though, very narrow and had people who shouldn't have been anywhere near the front holding up the show, had to run up in the grass embankments!

imtommygunn

Some of the people at the front of them runs annoy my head - they're wasting everyones time including their own.  Trick is you warm up on the course then run back to the start and push in! (Haven't done a race that big mind as max up here is ~1k excluding belfast marathon)

Never beat the deeler

Did a 10km run there yesterday. Its part of the City to Surf that Chevron organise across Australia, and as we're on a Chevron site they organised one here....

Hadn't trained at all for it, (and to be honest i was no great shakes anyway) but managed to complete the 10k in just under an hour, which was my aim

The first 5k was extremely hilly, and on dirt roads with lots of potholes, loose stones etc. Also didnt help that it was 26deg in the shade...
Hasta la victoria siempre

leaveherinsir

im thinkin of running this
http://www.causewaycoastmarathon.com/ (HALF MARATHON)
Anybody ran it before?
Am i Mad?

imtommygunn

Haven't ran it but have heard reports of more trail and hills than your average half marathon. I don't think it's that bad though. You'll not run a PB at it but sure you could say that about a lot of races.

Rois

Did 10.2 (the 0.2 is important!) in 97 mins last night as part of half marathon training.  The last half mile felt like a climb so I walked a bit of it.  I have never run that far in my life. 

ballinaman

Quote from: Rois on August 24, 2011, 10:27:24 AM
Did 10.2 (the 0.2 is important!) in 97 mins last night as part of half marathon training.  The last half mile felt like a climb so I walked a bit of it.  I have never run that far in my life.
Tell me about it. Just after doing 20 miles in about 2 hours 30 mins....legs creaking the last 2 miles...work is gonna be great craic today! :P

ballinaman

Anyone doing the half marathon in phoenix park this saturday? Clashing with the Ireland Australia game!  >:(

Rois

Right, my first ever timed run with other people coming up tomorrow with the half marathon.

Race pack hasn't arrived, my tickets for the AIF haven't arrived, I got a spasm in my neck this week from the driving range...but I have decided not to worry about all those things and look forward to running 13.1 miles round Phoenix Park. 

ballinaman

Quote from: Rois on September 16, 2011, 04:00:39 PM
Right, my first ever timed run with other people coming up tomorrow with the half marathon.

Race pack hasn't arrived, my tickets for the AIF haven't arrived, I got a spasm in my neck this week from the driving range...but I have decided not to worry about all those things and look forward to running 13.1 miles round Phoenix Park.
Best of luck Rois. Prep hasn't been ideal for myself either, couldn't shake a cold for last 2 weeks, training hard hasn't help and woke up with swollen tonsil yesterday morning! On anti b's since this morn. Still hoping for breakin pb of 1.23mins though!

Weather going to be shite! ah well!

ildanach

if i do it in 2 hours i will be delighted
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ballinaman

1.24.16.....happy enough considering tonsils nearly coming out of my neck for last 2 days! Tired from 6-10 but picked it up again thankfully in last 3.1!!Think sub 3 for the marathon might be a bit too much of an ask... :-\