General Computer Question - Processors, RAM, etc.

Started by AFS, June 05, 2009, 12:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Looking to get a new laptop but I pretty much haven't a clue about all the stuff that makes the computer work.

From having a look through a few websites it seems that the 3 things that dictate price most of all are the processor speed, amount of RAM and hard disk size.

The advantages of a bigger hard disk are obvious, but I've no clue about the processor or RAM. I assume that these determine how fast your computer works, but which it most important? Is is worth paying extra for 2.5GHz processor over a 2.0 one or even lower? What advantage do you get from having 3 or 4GB of RAM over having 2GB? If someone could explain these two things to me it'd be great. Also, does the type of processor matter - Pentium Dual Core, Turion, Athlon?

I know theres already a million computer threads on the board, and I've had a look at a few of them but none really seem to explain this for me.

Cheers  :)

Gnevin

Quote from: AFS on June 05, 2009, 12:05:49 AM
Looking to get a new laptop but I pretty much haven't a clue about all the stuff that makes the computer work.

From having a look through a few websites it seems that the 3 things that dictate price most of all are the processor speed, amount of RAM and hard disk size.

The advantages of a bigger hard disk are obvious, but I've no clue about the processor or RAM. I assume that these determine how fast your computer works, but which it most important? Is is worth paying extra for 2.5GHz processor over a 2.0 one or even lower? What advantage do you get from having 3 or 4GB of RAM over having 2GB? If someone could explain these two things to me it'd be great. Also, does the type of processor matter - Pentium Dual Core, Turion, Athlon?

I know theres already a million computer threads on the board, and I've had a look at a few of them but none really seem to explain this for me.

What do you need the laptop to do ? This is the most important question .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AFS

Quote from: Gnevin on June 05, 2009, 12:14:27 AM
Quote from: AFS on June 05, 2009, 12:05:49 AM

What do you need the laptop to do ? This is the most important question .

I suppose nothing too demanding. Football Manager computer game is probably the hardest it'll get worked.

Would I be wasting my money going for the higher spec stuff then?

Treasurer

What operating system?  If you're going for Vista, a MINIMUNM of 2gb ram or it will break your heart.

AFS

Quote from: Treasurer on June 05, 2009, 12:28:27 AM
What operating system?  If you're going for Vista, a MINIMUNM of 2gb ram or it will break your heart.

Probably Vista, although I remember a lot of people complaining about it. Have they sorted it out or would it be better to go with XP?

Gnevin

Quote from: AFS on June 05, 2009, 12:36:02 AM

Probably Vista, although I remember a lot of people complaining about it. Have they sorted it out or would it be better to go with XP?
Vista is terrible and windows 7 is out soon . XP is the best OS Mircosoft currently offer.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Trevor Hill

Vista is fine, I have never had any problems with it. Windows 7 will not be released until October.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: AFS on June 05, 2009, 12:36:02 AM

Much better to go with XP.  Think of RAM giving you extra space on your table top and making you work faster, processor will make minimum difference.

If anything, go for more RAM and don't, I repeat, don't go for Vista.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

gerrykeegan

i was just browsing the PC shops about 6 months ago, none of the laptops had XP. I asked and they said its Vista only from now on
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 05, 2009, 08:24:45 AM
i was just browsing the PC shops about 6 months ago, none of the laptops had XP. I asked and they said its Vista only from now on
Online retailers are still offering XP
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Gnevin

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 05, 2009, 08:24:45 AM
MS are forcing retailers too sell Vista as no one wanted Vista.

David McKeown

The 32bit version of windows only supports 3Gb of RAM as does XP so no point going for 4 rather than three in relation to the original question.  64bit Windows I have found very hard to find drivers for.

To answer the original question, when I have been advising people recently in relation to the laptops, the biggest difference between all the laptops has been the RAM.  If I were you I would be looking for 3Gb (probably is 4 in actual fact but windows will on see it as three) of as fast a ram as you can get.  My laptop uses DDR3 ram and I find it flies but is more expensive.  Not sure what the fastest ddr2 ram you can get at the minute is.

All that said Id get a Macbook if you could afford it
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

armaghniac

More RAM is the easiest way to give better usable performance. Laptops never have kick ass processors as they run on a battery and would otherwise get too hot. However we are now at the point where you need a 64 bit system to make use of the RAM. This will work fine with the laptop components, it all depends on what exotic stuff you are also going to plug into it. In a year or so 64 bit stuff will be usual so drivers will be available for most new kit.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B