Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 09, 2018, 11:02:40 PM
Thinking about booking a week in Madeira in late July, has anyone been? Any recommendations?

You could visit the Niall Quinn statue?

Tyrdub

Booked a villa in Gozo for 10 days in July, anyone ever been there? Friend of herself owns the villa, must admit it looks amazing

maddog

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 09, 2018, 11:02:40 PM
Thinking about booking a week in Madeira in late July, has anyone been? Any recommendations?

Went there about 10 years ago.We weren't in Funchal but down the coast to the east in a place called Canico de baixo. We hired a motor and did a lot of touring around. The interior of the island is spectacular. The roads can be narrow winding and with sheer drops so if nervous of that type of driving then maybe do a coach tour. The highest point in the island was above the cloud line. The type of tourist there seemed to be mainly a lot older Brits and Germans so its definitely not a clubbers paradise. Food and drink was top class and reasonable. Saw people doing that sled craic in Funchal which looked a bit mental to say the least. The cable car across the city didn't help my issue with heights. It is seriously hilly, there were no kids on bikes for a very good reason.
Overall loved the place and would go back no problem but if you go for it make sure and get out and about around the island.

bogball88

Anyone ever been to Antalya in southern Turkey before?

armaghniac

Quote from: bogball88 on January 17, 2018, 08:38:49 PM
Anyone ever been to Antalya in southern Turkey before?

St Paul was there in 45 AD, lots of sinners in those parts.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Targetman

Was in Alanya about 20 years ago, not far from Antalya, Just a plane load of Irish all staying at the same hotel, was only really developing as a resort back then, the Turkish baths were good!!

bogball88

Quote from: Targetman on January 17, 2018, 11:17:28 PM
Was in Alanya about 20 years ago, not far from Antalya, Just a plane load of Irish all staying at the same hotel, was only really developing as a resort back then, the Turkish baths were good!!
Was there much about it?

GetOverTheBar

Anyone been to Sunny Beach recently?

Was there a few times around 2010-2013 ish. Any major changes?

JimStynes

Been to Turkey on holidays once and it was enough for me. Lovely hotel but shit hole of a place.

Targetman

Quote from: bogball88 on January 18, 2018, 02:29:24 PM
Quote from: Targetman on January 17, 2018, 11:17:28 PM
Was there much about it?
Now we're talking 20 odd years ago but the beach was dead on, great waves the few days we were on it, went white water rafting, good craic also, went into Antalya city one day but feck it was too hot, very uncomfortable, I wasn't dying about the Grub back then but I'm a fussy enough eater, was all right!!

Tony Baloney

Are there any websites where you plug in travel dates but leave the Destination blank? I fancy a citybreak later in the year but would like to just plug in some dates and see what flights comes back reasonably priced for somewhere I've never been before.

galwayman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 21, 2018, 02:44:08 PM
Are there any websites where you plug in travel dates but leave the Destination blank? I fancy a citybreak later in the year but would like to just plug in some dates and see what flights comes back reasonably priced for somewhere I've never been before.
Skyscanner.
Type "Everywhere" as the destination.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 21, 2018, 02:44:08 PM

Berlin/Hamburg/Copenhagen

Harold Disgracey

Stockholm is also very good.

NAG1

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 23, 2018, 02:19:30 PM
Stockholm is also very good.

Expensive though as with other scandanavian cities.