Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 10, 2017, 04:51:38 AM
Been a right while since I been but my impressions were...

Amazingly beautiful country but the people came off a bit snobby of themselves. Beer wine food all great.

Didnt spend that long in Split but remember the beaches were very crowded there. Beaches generally are scant enough in the entire country despite the length of the coastline its mostly rocky.
You have Doleticain's Place (Roman ruins) there in the middle of the city which is kinda cool still inhabited from the descendants from Roman times.
Split is  a pretty easy jumping off point for the islands as well, I visited Korcula and Mijet. Korcula is pretty nice its got a wee old town nice for walking around and all. Mijet has very little going on but its very beautiful, nice for biking around and its got this old monastery in the middle of a lake, no one there hardly at all. Hvar is another island, more developed and supposed to be nice too.

Went inland to these water falls inland (cant mind what they were called), they were nice but hot and very crowded with alot of Italian and Germans in speedos

Dubrovnik tho is like nothing else, beautiful place, wonderfully preserved(luckily) the walls and old buildings cobble streets, you cant not go, just for a walk and look around very bright tho wear sunglasses.
Also visited Sibinek (nice big cathedral) and Pula in the north with a Roman amphitheater and a random statue of James Joyce.

Thanks for that will certainly pick up on visit to Dubrovnik though i hear it is rammed!!

I've booked an apartment on the island of Ciovo near the town of Trogir, just a week so will be a busy week if I go sightseeing..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trentoneill15

It's hard to hide the money. I haven't been outside province of Ulster since 2007.

armaghniac

Quote from: trentoneill15 on November 21, 2017, 03:29:33 PM
It's hard to hide the money. I haven't been outside province of Ulster since 2007.

Obviously a Derry supporter, then.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Stall the Bailer

Looking to book a villa/house for next summer for the whole extended family, IE grandparents, children and grandchildren. 14 adults and 9 children all under 10. Anyone got any recommendations on websites or places. Difficult to get the right mix of flying to Europe with need to hiring a few cars or going somewhere in Ireland or Britain with lots for everyone to do.

Rois

I am like a broken record, but the Alps are made for summer family holidays.
Fly to Geneva.  Drive 1hr to Morzine/Chamonix/Annecy/Evian.  Hundreds of chalets to choose from.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll pm you details of how to find exactly what you're looking for over there.

JimStynes

Quote from: Rois on December 05, 2017, 10:19:43 PM
Fly to Geneva.  Drive 1hr to Morzine/Chamonix/Annecy/Evian.  Hundreds of chalets to choose from.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll pm you details of how to find exactly what you're looking for over there.

Best holiday I've had i reckon. And it's only 1.5 hours away. Amazing country.

ONeill

Quote from: Rois on December 05, 2017, 10:19:43 PM

If yer not into the oul skiing, is there plenty else to do?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: ONeill on December 05, 2017, 10:59:20 PM

If yer not into the oul skiing, is there plenty else to do?

In summertime? Absolutely - the ski lifts just turn into hiking lifts and you can throw a mountain bike on the back. Outdoor pools, town festivals, water sports on crystal clear lakes, loads of cheap wine, great food...
Look at this travel company for some pics www.alpineelements.co.uk

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 05, 2017, 11:21:19 PM
This is my dream trip

https://www.themountaincompany.co.uk/nepal/walking-and-trekking/annapurna-base-camp/

Looks amazing.

There's some good books on Annapurna expeditions. Herzog's one is the classic. Ed Viesturs one is an excellent, easy read.

omaghjoe

This is my dream trip

https://www.themountaincompany.co.uk/nepal/walking-and-trekking/annapurna-base-camp/

Did that a wean o years back when I was only half a cub... mind blowing trip.
Do it after Croatia MR2! Its not an easy jaunt so you want the years on your side.   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 06, 2017, 07:18:00 AM
This is my dream trip

Do it after Croatia MR2! Its not an easy jaunt so you want the years on your side.

I've got to justify it though, 19 days seems a lot... is there a shorter version?

omaghjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2017, 07:37:17 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 06, 2017, 07:18:00 AM
This is my dream trip

I've got to justify it though, 19 days seems a lot... is there a shorter version?

I think I was trekking in and around for 3 weeks or something but I wasnt direct in and out to Annapurna sanctuary, cant mind. Probably might be able to cut it to 14 days with the trek at 10 days you'd be struggling to do it in a week I would say.
My memory is hazy of the trip (for various reasons :)!) and the trek has changed since then, with more ingression of paved roads. Also I had a fair amount of time on my hands so was looking to kill time as much as anything.
Fuk it cut loose for 3 weeks forgiveness comes easier than permission!

galwayman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2017, 09:35:03 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 10, 2017, 04:51:38 AM
Been a right while since I been but my impressions were...

Amazingly beautiful country but the people came off a bit snobby of themselves. Beer wine food all great.

Didnt spend that long in Split but remember the beaches were very crowded there. Beaches generally are scant enough in the entire country despite the length of the coastline its mostly rocky.
You have Doleticain's Place (Roman ruins) there in the middle of the city which is kinda cool still inhabited from the descendants from Roman times.
Split is  a pretty easy jumping off point for the islands as well, I visited Korcula and Mijet. Korcula is pretty nice its got a wee old town nice for walking around and all. Mijet has very little going on but its very beautiful, nice for biking around and its got this old monastery in the middle of a lake, no one there hardly at all. Hvar is another island, more developed and supposed to be nice too.

Went inland to these water falls inland (cant mind what they were called), they were nice but hot and very crowded with alot of Italian and Germans in speedos

Dubrovnik tho is like nothing else, beautiful place, wonderfully preserved(luckily) the walls and old buildings cobble streets, you cant not go, just for a walk and look around very bright tho wear sunglasses.
Also visited Sibinek (nice big cathedral) and Pula in the north with a Roman amphitheater and a random statue of James Joyce.

Thanks for that will certainly pick up on visit to Dubrovnik though i hear it is rammed!!

I've booked an apartment on the island of Ciovo near the town of Trogir, just a week so will be a busy week if I go sightseeing..
Also considering Croatia also for either May or September next year. Was looking at 5 nights in Cavtat (near Dubrovnik), 5 on Hvar and 3 in Trogir.
Apartments in the first 2 and Brown Beach hotel in Trogir (it's on Ciovo island also just over the bridge).
Haven't pulled the trigger yet as am not 100% sure that trip would be suitable for a busy 16/20 month old! :-)
Port de Pollenca in Mallorca might be more suitable for the little one.

Also just for anyone who may be considering ile de Re in France - myself, oh and our then 8 month old daughter stayed here http://www.mv-lodge.com/ last September.
The apartments are absolutely fabulous. Brilliant if you have one or two small kids.

Harold Disgracey

Thinking about booking a week in Madeira in late July, has anyone been? Any recommendations?