Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 09, 2017, 03:47:58 PM
Thinking of a break in Italy, probably May time. Has anyone been to Lake Como or the Amalfi Coast? Any do's/don'ts?

Amalfi coast is beautiful. Most people base themselves sorento i think. Positano and amalfi also options.  Be wary of driving as it is nuts over there and the amalfi roads are a bit hazardous!

Fantastic round there though.

JimStynes

We had planned on going to Amalfi Coast region in May but the wife was at a wedding in Sorrento the other week and has been put off by it. Said Sorrento was ok and a bit grubby. She much preferred the Annecy/Chamonix area in France. It is stunning. I still want to give Italy a go, maybe Tuscany or base ourselves somewhere other than Sorrento if we head Amalfi direction.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on October 31, 2017, 11:24:39 PM
We had planned on going to Amalfi Coast region in May but the wife was at a wedding in Sorrento the other week and has been put off by it. Said Sorrento was ok and a bit grubby. She much preferred the Annecy/Chamonix area in France. It is stunning. I still want to give Italy a go, maybe Tuscany or base ourselves somewhere other than Sorrento if we head Amalfi direction.
Practically all the package deals to Amalfi Coast are based in Sorrento which probably explains it and it's a big town so won't have the same feel. We stayed in Positano about 15 years ago. There is little to do but nice for relaxing and more expensive than the other towns. Sorrento is a good bit bigger and more geared towards tourists and as a base for Pompeii etc.

playwiththewind1st

Flew into Naples with Aer Lingus in September. Stayed there couple of nights & then moved on to Sorrento, for rest of the week. Didn't spend a lot of time in Sorrento, to be honest. Took an ordinary bus service along coast road to Positano & Amalfi one day. Next day, train to Pompeii. Following day, boat out to Capri, so really ended up spending only 1 daytime in Sorrento & it was all serious thunderstorms & torrential rain. Sorrento's ok as a base, I got a hotel in the town centre, which claimed it was four star, but that was mainly based on its central location. There was an Irish bar on one of the main streets, showing the AI hurling final on the day I arrived from Naples.....Sorrento has reasonably good bus links & train / ferry services. Went back to Naples for 1 more night at the end, to get flight home the next day, hadn't realised that there was a direct bus from Sorrento - Naples airport. Naples is a bit run down & somewhat dodgy, had a pick pocketing attempt outside the main train station. Next stops - Vienna just before Xmas & then Chicago next Easter.

Milltown Row2

I think most Italian towns citys look run down, they dont do much work on the fronts of building, I'd imagine the interiors are modern enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

Ah.....reminds me a bit of your changing rooms!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 01, 2017, 04:59:00 PM

Our interiors are not modern !!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Targetman on October 31, 2017, 07:34:06 PM
Thinking of Budapest in march, anyone on here been, any pros or cons , all info greatly received
we have been three times ,it's a fantastic city for a break, plenty to do and see

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2017, 08:09:56 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 01, 2017, 04:59:00 PM

Our interiors are not modern !!!!

You have been training as an estate agent!

Gold

Any recommendations for things to do in Madrid ? Weekend break with the lads
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mouview

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 01, 2017, 01:28:47 PM
Flew into Naples with Aer Lingus in September. Stayed there couple of nights & then moved on to Sorrento, for rest of the week. Didn't spend a lot of time in Sorrento, to be honest. Took an ordinary bus service along coast road to Positano & Amalfi one day. Next day, train to Pompeii. Following day, boat out to Capri, so really ended up spending only 1 daytime in Sorrento & it was all serious thunderstorms & torrential rain. Sorrento's ok as a base, I got a hotel in the town centre, which claimed it was four star, but that was mainly based on its central location. There was an Irish bar on one of the main streets, showing the AI hurling final on the day I arrived from Naples.....Sorrento has reasonably good bus links & train / ferry services. Went back to Naples for 1 more night at the end, to get flight home the next day, hadn't realised that there was a direct bus from Sorrento - Naples airport. Naples is a bit run down & somewhat dodgy, had a pick pocketing attempt outside the main train station. Next stops - Vienna just before Xmas & then Chicago next Easter.

Recommend Sorrento for a few days early Summer break, plus another few in Capri? Positano a better base?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mouview on November 02, 2017, 04:34:08 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 01, 2017, 01:28:47 PM

Recommend Sorrento for a few days early Summer break, plus another few in Capri? Positano a better base?
http://www.itv.com/ginositalianescape/episode-1-the-amalfi-coast

If you have catch-up this was on last night and you get to see some really nice spots along the Amalfi coast. Wish I was going back.

Milltown Row2

Looks like Croatia this year, just for a week though, looking at flying into Split with EasyJet from Belfast...

Much prefer the apartments or small villa's but if there are any decent priced hotels that would be recommended.. seems very pricey through a package, though in fairness I've only given it a couple of hours surfing on net

Any recommendations would be great

omaghjoe

Been a right while since I been but my impressions were...

Amazingly beautiful country but the people came off a bit snobby of themselves. Beer wine food all great.

Didnt spend that long in Split but remember the beaches were very crowded there. Beaches generally are scant enough in the entire country despite the length of the coastline its mostly rocky.
You have Doleticain's Place (Roman ruins) there in the middle of the city which is kinda cool still inhabited from the descendants from Roman times.
Split is  a pretty easy jumping off point for the islands as well, I visited Korcula and Mijet. Korcula is pretty nice its got a wee old town nice for walking around and all. Mijet has very little going on but its very beautiful, nice for biking around and its got this old monastery in the middle of a lake, no one there hardly at all. Hvar is another island, more developed and supposed to be nice too.

Went inland to these water falls inland (cant mind what they were called), they were nice but hot and very crowded with alot of Italian and Germans in speedos

Dubrovnik tho is like nothing else, beautiful place, wonderfully preserved(luckily) the walls and old buildings cobble streets, you cant not go, just for a walk and look around very bright tho wear sunglasses.
Also visited Sibinek (nice big cathedral) and Pula in the north with a Roman amphitheater and a random statue of James Joyce.