New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john mcgill

Peter Luger's just the other side of the Brooklyn bridge is superb.  Worth the extra jaunt. Gallaghers in midtown is good and close to a few Irish pubs

J70

Quote from: john mcgill on July 22, 2013, 05:29:29 PM
Peter Luger's just the other side of the Brooklyn bridge is superb.  Worth the extra jaunt. Gallaghers in midtown is good and close to a few Irish pubs

That would be the Williamsburg Bridge!

Its close to all the bars along Bedford Avenue too. Well worth a night out!

J70

Quote from: JimStynes on July 22, 2013, 02:26:32 PM
Lads I'm over in New York for 3 nights at the start of August (thur to sun) then onto Vegas. It will be our wedding anniversary while we are in New York. Any good restaurants u recommend going to? A steakhouse would be good but we love Italian, Chinese, Mexican and Indian as well. Budget of around 250 dollars. We are staying close to Times Square by the way.

For Mexican you can't beat Rosa Mexicano just off Union Square. Nice and close to the village too.

For Indian, I would check out Brick Lane Curry House in the east village. Superb food! Try the Phaal curry sauce (or even a proper dish) if you dare!

Yelp is a great website for reviews on all this stuff.

JimStynes

Great stuff lads. Thanks

J70

For Italian, we like Becco on west 46th street. Only a couple of minutes walk from Times Square too!

john mcgill

Have to endorse J70 on Rosa Mexicano.  Had a great meal there and they make the guacamole in front of you and it doesn't break the bank

Canalman

Would give Indian food a miss in NY or indeed America as a whole. Nowhere near as good as that in Ireland or England.

J70

Quote from: john mcgill on July 23, 2013, 02:32:17 PM
Have to endorse J70 on Rosa Mexicano.  Had a great meal there and they make the guacamole in front of you and it doesn't break the bank

My mouth is watering thinking about that guac!

I'd recommend the pomegranate frozen margaritas too!

J70

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on July 22, 2013, 08:17:58 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 22, 2013, 07:02:21 PM
For Italian, we like Becco on west 46th street. Only a couple of minutes walk from Times Square too!

Was in it years ago, on New Year's Day, before flying home. Great place, but it was fairly empty at lunchtime that day [for obvious reasons!]. Remember it being very pricey at the time & that was over 10 years ago.

Very busy at night (I'd recommend getting a reservation), and yes, a wee bit pricey. But amazing food (and wine!).

An Gaeilgoir

Just giving this a bump as i know someone heading there next month and they are looking for some pointers..

glens abu

Quote from: hardstation on October 03, 2013, 09:19:29 PM
Good man. I'm heading at the end of November and am looking some pointers too.

Just back two weeks ago HS,had a few great meals in restaurant row Broadway,but plenty of good food to be had in bars around Manhattan.If its your 1st time there must take the bus tours and boat trip for 49 dollars over 48 hours,great value.Enjoy

Rois

I told a friend about a rooftop bar - 230 Fifth- surprisingly on Fifth avenue - and her shaftie boyfriend ended up proposing in that very place about 3 wks ago. Great night time view of Empire State, outdoor heated terrace with blankets, hot cider etc.
I loved Ellis Island.

If you are purchasing jewellery, avoid Tiffany and give the diamond district a go...

J70

Statue of Liberty etc. are all closed at the moment due to those tea party morons in DC.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on October 03, 2013, 09:19:29 PM
Good man. I'm heading at the end of November and am looking some pointers too.
13 pages of them here.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on October 03, 2013, 09:34:26 PM
I told a friend about a rooftop bar - 230 Fifth- surprisingly on Fifth avenue - and her shaftie boyfriend ended up proposing in that very place about 3 wks ago. Great night time view of Empire State, outdoor heated terrace with blankets, hot cider etc.
I loved Ellis Island.

If you are purchasing jewellery, avoid Tiffany and give the diamond district a go...

Hardstation getting jewellery??  ;D ;D

You'd need 3 weeks in the place to really see it, was there for a week in 93 before heading on down to Wildwood, dare say it has changed big time since
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea