Champions League Final 2009: Manchester United vs Barcelona.Wed 27th May. Rome.

Started by EC Unique, May 05, 2009, 09:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenmachine

I hope the prawn sandwich brigade get their pans knocked in!  :D  
On another note, Utd must have had the easiest run in to the CL final in a long long time, Porto weren't top class opposition and arsenal wouldnt of scored in a month of sunday's only for a dodgy enough penalty!
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

118cmal

Have had my flights and accomodation booked over there since last September/October, in the off-chance united would get there.  Now they are there, I have an exam on the 29th :-\   Just my luck.  I would consider bunking the exam and doing it in August but it is my final year and really weant to graduate in July!  The other three lads are finished up then so they will be away on without me.  We have two tickets sorted, and another one is looking quite likely at the minute. 

Absolutley gutted, but glad the other three are pretty much sorted

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: screenmachine on May 06, 2009, 10:38:24 AM
On another note, Utd must have had the easiest run in to the CL final in a long long time, Porto weren't top class opposition and arsenal wouldnt of scored in a month of sunday's only for a dodgy enough penalty!

Inter Milan?

screenmachine

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on May 06, 2009, 10:44:57 AM

Inter Milan?
Rolled over quite easily in my opinion, never threatened utd really!  A match that was overhyped due to the mourinho/ferguson battle.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

118cmal

Quote from: screenmachine on May 06, 2009, 10:55:28 AM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on May 06, 2009, 10:44:57 AM

Inter Milan?
Rolled over quite easily in my opinion, never threatened utd really!  A match that was overhyped due to the mourinho/ferguson battle.

Inter rolled over quite easily, or United rolled them over quite easily?

The same arsenal that have scored more away goals than anyone in the PL this season?

screenmachine

Its alright when arsenal are scoring against riff raff opposition, 2-0 down after 10 mins, needed 4 goals to win the match.  By the end of the first half, they had one shot on target, a fabregas header from the edge of the box.  United were in cruise control last night. 
United have not been threatened once really since the knockout stage began, hence imo they have had one of the easiest run ins to the final in a long time. 

118cmal

Do you honestly not hink that this might have had something to do with the way United have played???

screenmachine

They played well due to the fact that the opposition was poor.  Its a two way system.

118cmal

Far enough, but United stifled Arsenal and Inter, especially away from home.  To say United have had an easy run-in is ridiculous thiough.  Playing a team that are running away with the Italian league with one of the best managers in the world and one of the most in form players in the world is never easy.  But Inter never looked like winning.

I would have far rather get Madrid or Juventus in the first round but there you go.  Just admit it, United have played the knockout system perfectly, with the exception of the first Porto game  :P

Bogball XV

Quote from: slow corner back on May 05, 2009, 10:05:36 PM
If Barca make it through they will definitly have Puyol back, not sure about the extent of Marquez injury. Dont care who goes through, it a final you have to expect top notch opposition. Still think if Utd play to the top of their game they will win it, beat Barca over two legs last year and beat Chelsea ( sort of) over two games this year, although they are vastly improved under Hiddink it must be said. Heres hoping for a mass brawl and five or six red cards tomorrow night.
Do you honestly believe that Utd at the top of their game would beat Barce at the top of their game??

You can point to last year and Barce v Utd, but imo there is no comparison - the players and Rijkaard had fallen out of love, Barce also lost to Real 4-1 last May to lose the title, this year beat the same side 2-6, does that mean they'll beat Utd by 4/5 in the final??

Bogball XV

Quote from: 118cmal on May 06, 2009, 11:29:55 AM
Far enough, but United stifled Arsenal and Inter, especially away from home.  To say United have had an easy run-in is ridiculous thiough.  Playing a team that are running away with the Italian league with one of the best managers in the world and one of the most in form players in the world is never easy.  But Inter never looked like winning.

I would have far rather get Madrid or Juventus in the first round but there you go.  Just admit it, United have played the knockout system perfectly, with the exception of the first Porto game  :P
Inter were outplayed in the first leg, and should have scored in the second leg - Inter are not a good team, no Italian side is good at present, they have zero pace and have an aging squad.
That's not to say that Utd don't deserve to be in the final, they could only beat what was in front of them.  It's obvious that themselves, Barcelona, Liverpool and Chelsea are above the rest of Europe by a distance, with Barcelona imo being the best of the lot.

corn02

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on May 06, 2009, 10:02:22 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 05, 2009, 09:59:24 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on May 05, 2009, 09:57:28 PM
it is in Rome

And please God Barca make it through as they would win it, Chelsea stand no chance in the final.

Sure Chelsea had no chance against Liverpool either

Please point out where anyone said that.

The GAA

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 06, 2009, 11:32:15 AM
Do you honestly believe that Utd at the top of their game would beat Barce at the top of their game??

You can point to last year and Barce v Utd, but imo there is no comparison - the players and Rijkaard had fallen out of love, Barce also lost to Real 4-1 last May to lose the title, this year beat the same side 2-6, does that mean they'll beat Utd by 4/5 in the final??

undoubtedly. United played nervously against barce last year and didn't realise the game was there to be won.

at their best, united would crucify barce on the break.

corn02

Quote from: The GAA on May 06, 2009, 12:06:32 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on May 06, 2009, 11:32:15 AM

undoubtedly. United played nervously against barce last year and didn't realise the game was there to be won.

at their best, united would crucify barce on the break.

That's nonsense.

Undoubtedly? Crucify? Come off it.

To be honest it would probably come down to one goal in it. On paper Barca are perhaps a marginally better outfit, but little between the sides.

gorm agus bui