Martinoneillsandroykeanesrepublicofireland.

Started by The Real Laoislad, April 22, 2009, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on April 23, 2009, 12:05:22 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 22, 2009, 10:45:48 PM
Poor old Jim magilton looks like he's been set up badly. They'll not like this over on OWC. Thought it was strange when I seen on ceefax that they'd sacked him for not making the play offs. They haven't made the play offs for a while have they? Must be about 12 years since they were in the EPL. Was their last season the time United beat them 9-0?

Not as long as that, Burley took them up since and they had a brilliant first season and qualified for Europe. Then got relegated the next year.

They played Inter Milan that year in the UEFA Cup didn't they?
I think they beat them 1-0 at Portman Rd
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rav67

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 22, 2009, 10:45:48 PM
Poor old Jim magilton looks like he's been set up badly. They'll not like this over on OWC. Thought it was strange when I seen on ceefax that they'd sacked him for not making the play offs. They haven't made the play offs for a while have they? Must be about 12 years since they were in the EPL. Was their last season the time United beat them 9-0?

They were back up for a couple of seasons about 6 years ago and even qualified for Europe, back when Matty Holland had his big run of about 3 seasons without missing a game.

The jury's out on Keane, he done brilliantly in his first season at Sunderland but IMO a lot of that had to do with the whole aura/mythology surrounding Keane as the ultimate driven winner as a footballer, which may have been enough to spur the players on to playing above themselves.  Bryan Robson had this effect in his first season as manager but was found out subsequently.

full back

Keane has proved himself in this division, he hasnt in the PL, so maybe this is his level for the time being

baoithe

Well it is estimated that there's a fair bit of cash behind Ipswich as a result of this guy Marcus Evans taking them over in 2007. I say estimated because nobody seems to know how wealthy he is as he is a tax exile.

Ipswich are a decent championship side but I couldn't see them getting promoted with the current squad. Therefore, I think we can all assume that Keane has been offered a pile of spending money for the summer because there is only one place he wants to be and that is the Premier League.

From an Irish perspective (the only perspective I'm really concerned with) Owen Garvan should step up to the plate now and show us all what he's made of. He's a fine footballer and with a bit of quality around him he should hopefully flourish.

Declan

Confirmed

Keane takes up new challenge at Ipswich

Roy Keane was confirmed as the new manager of Ipswich this morning. The former Republic of Ireland midfielder has signed a two-year contract with the Championship side, who sacked former boss Jim Magilton yesterday.

The 37-year-old has been out of work since departing as Sunderland manager last December.

Keane told the Ipswich website: "I truly believe that I am joining a club that has the potential, ambition and infrastructure to once again be a Premier League side.

"The club's owner (Marcus Evans) and chief executive (Simon Clegg) impressed upon me their total focus on achieving this quest at the earliest opportunity and I can't wait to get started."

Magilton fell victim to the Portman Road regime's top-flight aspirations yesterday when he was sacked as Ipswich manager after failing to lead them into the Championship play-offs.

That followed a €14million, Evans-funded spending spree on new players following the hospitality entrepreneur's takeover late in 2007.

However, the new investment failed to produce a concerted push for promotion, as the Tractor Boys were consigned to mid-table and an eighth straight season in the second tier.

Evans said: "I am delighted that Roy has agreed to join us and we are completely aligned in our ambitions for Ipswich Town.

"He has extensive contacts in the game and is a proven winner who encourages his team to play the attractive football that Ipswich Town fans have come to expect.

"I believe he is the right man to take this club where we want to be — the Premier League."

Billys Boots

QuoteI expect Ryanair now to start flying into Ipswitch airport from Cork and Dublin to transport langers off to see 'Roykeanesipswich' in action.

It's only down the road from Stansted.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: full back on April 23, 2009, 08:15:46 AM
Keane has proved himself in this division, he hasnt in the PL, so maybe this is his level for the time being

Took the words right off my keyboard full back!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

EC Unique

Main Street

Dunphy is on RTE talking about Ipswich's proud tradition and that Roy needs to be more humble. ;D

I remember they beat Arsenal in a cup final way back,  4 nil or something or it felt like a 4 nil win.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Main Street on April 23, 2009, 10:13:18 AM
Dunphy is on RTE talking about Ipswich's proud tradition and that Roy needs to be more humble. ;D

I remember they beat Arsenal in a cup final way back,  4 nil or something or it felt like a 4 nil win.

1-0  1978 Remember it well... Roger Osborne scored and they were all over Arsenel and hit post twice before the goal. Paul Mariner was there big star then and the tough boy with the moustache played for England. 

Shamrock Shore

That would be John Wark who also played for Liverpool and the Allied Forces in 'Escape to Victory'

longrunsthefox

Had to look it up on a website - Mick Mills I was thinking of captained them to that  cup final-I think he captained England as well.

Shamrock Shore

Sorry Fox - Wark was Scottish I think.

Declan

QuoteSorry Fox - Wark was Scottish I think.
correct- Was it Kevin Beattie you were thinking of?

full back

Yep, Wark was Scottish
Looks very like Bruce