Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 23, 2018, 12:03:08 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 22, 2018, 06:04:50 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 22, 2018, 05:35:56 PM
Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on March 22, 2018, 03:03:09 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 17, 2018, 09:53:57 PM
Would the most relegated also be the most promoted!

Just as a matter of interest are there many teams who have never left Junior football in the history of the club??
None that are currently in existence.
Of the 2018 teams in Junior level, excluding Errigal thirds I think there's 12 clubs in the division whom have played at Senior championship level at some point in their history.

Dregish have won a fair few junior Championships in their day so would've made it up. Glenelly went up in 1983 and down in 1986. I think that's the only 3 years they were out of junior.
Miscalculated earlier, of the 16 teams in Junior/Div 3 this year (bar Errigal Thirds), 11 have definitely played at Senior level at some point since 1975...

Beragh
Brackaville
Clan na nGael
Dregish
Drumquin
Eskra
Fintona
Killeeshil
Killyman
Newtownstewart
Rock

...the remaining five haven't but have played at Intermediate level at some point...

Brockagh
Castlederg
Clogher
Drumragh
Glenelly

...of those latter five I know Castlederg and Glenelly definitely haven't played at Senior level. I don't think Clogher have done either. I'm also certain Drumragh and Brockagh haven't either but I'm not 100% sure if their earlier incarnations as Tattysallagh and Mountjoy might have competed at Senior championship level in the past.

Only two clubs currently in Tyrone have never won a Senior, Intermediate or Junior All-County championship, Castlederg and Glenelly. That list used to include T****reagh but last year, hey, enough said.

I'm sure Glenelly are the club currently with the longest running spell at Junior level since their relegation from Intermediate in 1986. Castlederg would also have been a long-timer after relegation in 1993 until they won the Div 3 league in 2016. Not sure who the current second-longest is.

There was a spell in the 1980's when Dregish won promotion to Div 2 and then Div 1 in consecutive years and then straight away relegated to Div 2 and Div 3 in consecutive years. I think the years were 1984, 85, 86 & 87 going back to playing in Div 3 in 1988.

Of the three teams promoted from Div 3/Junior in 2017, the team who shall not be named has not played at Senior level as far as I know. However both Owen Roes and Derrytresk have been previous beated SFC finalists, 1970 for Owen Roes and 1949(?) for Derrytresk.

Looking at Beragh and Drumquin, back in 1996 they were both beaten Div 1 League semi-finalists. Fast forward to 2017 and Drumquin finished bottom of Div 3 and Beragh 4th from bottom. Shows how some clubs can go from highs to lows in the space of a generation. Sadly that has not been reciprocated the other way (a lowly Div 3 team in 1996 now serious challengers for Div 1 & SFC honours).

Its serious how the clubs can fall so quickly!! Two great teams full of abundances of talent, Beragh containing players like Paul Donnelly and the Grimes's and Drumqinn with Noel Donnelly, Sean McLaughlin, Patterson, McCallion to name a few!!

longballin

Augher had great teams back in the 70s/80s... the McKenna brothers, Paul Donnelly, Shay Daly...

Degrassi Hi

Very interesting topic and some great knowledge and nostalgia being shared by genuine posters which is a breath of fresh air in comparison to some of the dung posted on the Tyrone page at times.  Going back into the 80's did either the Windmill or Mountfield ever make it to intermediate/senior?

The Bearded One

Quote from: longballin on March 23, 2018, 11:58:11 AM
Augher had great teams back in the 70s/80s... the McKenna brothers, Paul Donnelly, Shay Daly...

It is often said that towards the late 70s and early 80s Clogher were also showing signs of a good side, then the team was decimated by internment, losing half a team. Did other clubs at the time suffer the same way?
It is what it is. Presumably.

longballin

Quote from: The Bearded One on March 23, 2018, 12:16:54 PM

It is often said that towards the late 70s and early 80s Clogher were also showing signs of a good side, then the team was decimated by internment, losing half a team. Did other clubs at the time suffer the same way?

I think in Augher's case a lot of brilliant players came along at the same time a lot from the same family the McKennas. Bit like Tyrone 2003 - 2008.

WT4E

Quote from: Degrassi Hi on March 23, 2018, 12:07:11 PM
Very interesting topic and some great knowledge and nostalgia being shared by genuine posters which is a breath of fresh air in comparison to some of the dung posted on the Tyrone page at times.  Going back into the 80's did either the Windmill or Mountfield ever make it to intermediate/senior?

+1

laceer

Fair play for the research lads-interesting discussion alright. The quality of the last page or so reminded me why I check the board about 200 times a day.

southtyronegael

a warning from history for all clubs.. that great augher team won a div 1 league in 1986. 9 years later in 1995 they finished second from bottom of div 3. when things are going well you must always keep putting the work in at youth level.

clarshack

Quote from: Degrassi Hi on March 23, 2018, 12:07:11 PM

The Windmill had a bit of a resurgence in 1990 and I think they could have even been in the running for promotion to Intermediate. The Glencull team which became Errigal II won Division 3 that season and would have had the likes of Mickey Harte, Peter and Pascal Canavan, Eoin Gormley and Denver Farrell on their team. They had a great team but I think Derrytresk took them out in the early rounds of the championship. They struggled in intermediate the following season as all the good players moved on to the Errigal first team.

Under Lights

Some great posts there lads, keep up the good work. Would be great to see some match updates from the ACL posted here this year too. I will try and contribute.

bigtogs

Quote from: The Bearded One on March 23, 2018, 12:16:54 PM

In the 1970's we struggled to field regularly due to the political climate we went from top of Div 1 to needing Brockagh to beat Killyman to keep us out of Junior football which they done, we won intermediate titles 77,79,83..... we lost dozens of players in the 70's and 80's....we had a player shot dead escaping form long kesh in 1974, had a player escaped from long kesh 1983 on the big escape his brother and player at the time was shot dead 3 months later,we had another player shot dead in 1992 at clonoe chapel.... we were talking about this last sunday and a story was told after internment we played Ayharan in the championship we had 17 players left,all left Clonoe pitch to head for Omagh to the game lost another 5 on the way to the game!!! We had to get 3 older men out of the crowd to make up 15 and we still won!!! 70 and 80's was definitely very sore on our club and has took us years to recover from.... 

Under Lights

Don't be on the forum that often, what club at you big togs

bigtogs

driveherin

Donaghmore V Pomeroy - Pom by 2/3
Derrylauagh V Omagh - Omagh by 3/4
Errigal V Galbally - Errigal by 6/7
Trillick V Carrickmore - trillick by 6/7
Clonoe V Moy - Clonoe by 9/10
Aghyaran V Coalisland - Coal by 3/4
Dromore V Edendork - Dromore by 8/9
Killyclogher V Ardboe - Killy by 4/5

WT4E

Whats going onwith Tyrone GAA website - the 2018 fixtures aren't up. Pretty poor with 5 days to start of the league!