Lance Armstrong

Started by anportmorforjfc, March 23, 2009, 03:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Lance Armstrong crashed out of the Tour of Castilla y Leon on the opening day.

The Texan, 37, appeared to be in pain as he was helped away in an ambulance after suffering what looked to be a collarbone injury.

Armstrong was caught up in an incident involving a number of riders during the 168.3 kilometre stage between Paredes de Nava and Baltanas.

A spokesman for his Astana team said he had likely hurt his collarbone or shoulder and was being taken to hospital for checks.

Armstrong, the cancer survivor who went on to win the Tour de France seven times in a row from 1999-2005, returned to the saddle at the start of the season after more than three years in retirement.

Tyrones own

That's too bad...hope he's able to continue with training for the big one :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Galwaybhoy

AH  >:(

Sky Sports had it as breaking news and they said the following "Lance Armstrong taken to hospital after crash during race in Spain".  Thats all they said, no indication given of the injury, I though it was very serious, even life threatening with the way they presented it as breaking news on Sky Sports.

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Doogie Browser

They are bound to be able to give him tablets for the pain sure...

orangeman

Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 23, 2009, 11:17:53 PM

No tablets are allowed to be taken by these lads !!  ;)

Doogie Browser

Quote from: orangeman on March 23, 2009, 11:29:15 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 23, 2009, 11:17:53 PM

No tablets are allowed to be taken by these lads !!  ;)
Thats right, through the pain barrier then Lance I am afraid, don't want any suspicions.  David Walsh is studying his medical charts as we speak  :P 

AbbeySider

A leading sports psychologist "was careful about using Lance Armstrong" as an example of someone to follow/look up to.
I have my suspicions about him as well.
In 1996 he admitted taking performance enhancing drugs after his treatment for cancer. Because of his treatments he was not allowed to be drug tested and took advantage.
In 2005 was accused of testing positive for EPO (hormone for producing red blood cells) by a French newspaper. He is constantly under investigation and its said that his performance cycles (peaks and valleys) are said to be consistent with injections.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 24, 2009, 08:56:11 AM
A leading sports psychologist "was careful about using Lance Armstrong" as an example of someone to follow/look up to.
In 1996 he admitted taking performance enhancing drugs after his treatment for cancer. Because of his treatments he was not allowed to be drug tested and took advantage.
In 2005 was accused of testing positive for EPO (hormone for producing red blood cells) by a French newspaper. He is constantly under investigation and its said that his performance cycles (peaks and valleys) are said to be consistent with injections.

Such a load of codswallop, especially the bit in bold! The man was practically at deaths door and you think he was secretly plotting to take stuff to help him win 7 Tours! Give me strength.

Hopefully this injury won't stop him tackling Le Tour. It will be interesting to see how he does.

man in black

Why would someone take performance enhancing drugs just after having cancer. Its not like he would have been competing.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Doogie Browser

There is no disputing the achievements of Armstrong, he deserves to be in the pantheon of sporting greats for all he has done particularly for overcoming a life threatening disease.  To win le-tour so many times was a great feat.
The world of professional cycling is however going to be viewed with great suspicion until we can be assured that its anti-doping procedures are water tight.

David McKeown

I remember reading an op ed piece in USA today a few years that I thought summed things up well.  It finished with the line Lance Armastrong is an amazing story but endurance cycling is still a boring, tarnished sport.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Hound

Very disappointed about his comments on Landis and Millar. Clearly indicated that he thinks their biggest mistake was getting caught.

Amazing the way so many people deceive themselves into believing he's always been clean.

man in black

Quote from: Hound on March 24, 2009, 11:01:40 AM
Very disappointed about his comments on Landis and Millar. Clearly indicated that he thinks their biggest mistake was getting caught.

Amazing the way so many people deceive themselves into believing he's always been clean.

Evidence..................
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

thebigfella

In 1996 he admitted taking performance enhancing drugs after his treatment for cancer. Because of his treatments he was not allowed to be drug tested and took advantage.In 2005 was accused of testing positive for EPO (hormone for producing red blood cells) by a French newspaper. He is constantly under investigation and its said that his performance cycles (peaks and valleys) are said to be consistent with injections.

I thought he admitted he was perscribed steriods as part of his cancer treatment (during/after whatever), something that is quite common in the treatment of some types of cancer. I'm assuming the various governing bodies would have looked at this carefully.