Started by 5 Sams, March 11, 2009, 11:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: noeldebrun on March 11, 2009, 11:41:33 PM
watched a bit of it, turned it off due to the complete smugness on display, that whole middle class rubbish that rugby and its fans seem to strive towards

Please elaborate, I find this comment fascinating.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Rod Hull fixed his aerial and Emu was no more.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T O Hare

Mayobridge minors comprehensively beat Down kingpins Burren to win their first senoir championship in 80 years ;D ;D ;D ;D :D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

mikerob

Quote from: bennydorano on March 12, 2009, 10:00:46 AM
1999 - The re-ermergence of Armagh.

I recall a debate with Sammy G(may have been on OWC & must have been a few years later) where he claimed he only saw a few NI 'flegs' and most were red & white checked ones.  Shuuuuuure !!!!!

Don't forget that prior to the 1999 European games, Ulster played to crowds of a few thousand at most, and all the gear available to supporters now just didn't exist.  The team plays in red and white so a large number of people did have the red and white NI flag.  I'm sure some had a political motive for using this flag but it shouldn't be interpretated that everyone was making some sort of political statement.

These days at Ravenhill and at away games, you still get some red and white NI flags, but you also get red and yellow Ulster provincial flags, red and white checked flags and I've also seen the flags of Greenland, Yemen and the Japanese naval ensign (all of which are red and white...)

If Ulster make the knock-out stages of the HEC again, you can expect to see some NI flags, an assortment of others including the Ulster provincial flag and sponsors getting on the bandwagon with Ulster Rugby flags just as Leinster and Munster do.

Edit: the Maltese flag as well...

Minder

A song by Prince got a lot of airplay, the name of the song escapes me just now........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on March 12, 2009, 12:03:35 PM
Quote from: noeldebrun on March 11, 2009, 11:41:33 PM
watched a bit of it, turned it off due to the complete smugness on display, that whole middle class rubbish that rugby and its fans seem to strive towards

Please elaborate, I find this comment fascinating.
Sports is for the working classes don't you know.

Van de Velde making a hash of the British Open.

Minder

Watching the '99 All Ireland Hurling Final between Kilkenny & Cork, seated in the Nally Stand directly behind a steel beam.........  :'(

new devil

Quote from: EC Unique on March 12, 2009, 09:40:59 AM
Quote from: new devil on March 12, 2009, 06:23:21 AM
United won the champions league  ;D

And the premiership.. And the FA Cup.... ;D ;D

Yea but that happens most years  ;)

longrunsthefox

Cork won the hurling and Fox was there in Hogan Stand. Wet windy day and not a goal in minor or senior game which may be some kind of record. Looked it up there ...62,988 at game plus me made it 62,989. Not very memorable.

Minder

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 12, 2009, 01:55:18 PM
Cork won the hurling and Fox was there in Hogan Stand. Wet windy day and not a goal in minor or senior game which may be some kind of record. Looked it up there ...62,988 at game plus me made it 62,989. Not very memorable.

Was that one of the years they got presented with the Liam Mc Carthy in the middle of the pitch, i remember peeking round the side of the steel beam to see that.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Minder on March 12, 2009, 01:58:07 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 12, 2009, 01:55:18 PM

Was that one of the years they got presented with the Liam Mc Carthy in the middle of the pitch, i remember peeking round the side of the steel beam to see that.

I think your right

longrunsthefox

An abiding memory of 1999 was going to the Leinster football final and watching the Ulster final in a pub close to  Croke Park before the game. Armagh hammered Down (I think). Anyway the big lounge was jammed with Dubs watching the charity shield and Man U with me and two mates and two others in other part watching the Gaelic football!

Galwaybhoy

The Senior Hurling final was also the first ever final where no goal was scored.  Terrible game, Cork winning 0-13 to 0-12, which also saw the reemergence of the big 3, and no other county have won an All-Ireland since.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 12, 2009, 02:20:50 PM
The Senior Hurling final was also the first ever final where no goal was scored.  Terrible game, Cork winning 0-13 to 0-12, which also saw the reemergence of the big 3, and no other county have won an All-Ireland since.

Aye I said that earlier and no goal in minor game either. Hope youse boys can break the big 3 this year.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 12, 2009, 02:24:45 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 12, 2009, 02:20:50 PM

Aye I said that earlier and no goal in minor game either. Hope youse boys can break the big 3 this year.

Sorry I some how missed that post you made stating that.  I hope we can too Fox, but I wouldn't hold me breath!  I don't think I have ever seen the confidence so low among Galway fans as it is at this moment!  Waterford have been in the best position over the last few years to win that All-Ireland, but I fear their time may have now passed!