‘Guns and Roses’ a new Left alternative in Irish politics?

Started by Donagh, February 23, 2009, 12:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Considering the amount of people that were on the demo on Saturday, I doubt many people got to see Gerry A attempting to cosy up to his former comrades in Official Sinn Fein, the Workers Party, Democratic Left, Labour at the SF Ard Fheis. Certainly if you read any of Sir Tony O'Reilly's rags you'll not know anything about it, but that's another story.

Anyhow, regardless of your political sympathies, it looks as though the "economic illiterates" may be finally attempting to mark out some territory for themselves as a left alternative in Irish politics. In summary, after attacking "Tweedledum" and "Tweedledee" (FF and FG), the bearded one called for a new alliance of the left, including Labour, SF and the Greens (after they come to their senses).

A few years ago this would have been fanciful stuff but given the circumstances of the day, such a coalition it's not beyond the realms of possibility. My personal view is that Irish society is not yet ready for such an alternative. We've always been a country of conservative peasants and the Celtic Tiger has only caused more people to abandon the idea of society for notions of what the economy can do for them in particular. So my question is would you support an alliance of leftist parties over the cronyism and nepotism of the conservative establishment?

Billys Boots

I heard on Saturday, though I'm not sure if it was borne from a marching fervour, that the Greens are formulating an exit-strategy to be enacted within the next ten days.

On your point Donagh, when have we ever seen Lefties being able to agree on anything?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

magpie seanie

The words frying pan and fire are running around my head....

lynchbhoy

there needs to be a 'new workers party' set up

but it would seem that adams is looking to create an alliance alright from what I have read.

While this would be strong right now, I would expect ff to recover votes and voters in the not too distant future (just before an election) - maybe this is adams firing a shot across the bow and if the greens jump ship, sf might be asked if they are open to an alliance with ff.
That will certainly put cats among feathered friends and see who has what principles etc !

ziggysego

That's certainly the impression I got from it. Didn't hear the whole speech, but I believe it's on BBC iPlayer, so I'll watch it tonight in full.
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

This cosying up has been going on for a few years now. Labour and SF have dealt together in senate election which as part of the deal seen SFs first senator and Labour increase their quota. It has also allowed SF to use some of Labour's speaking time in the Dail which they lost when Crowe lost his seat and the Greens entered Government. I can see more cosying up to come as SF move to gather the support of the Unions which had lost much faith in Lab during Pat Rabbites FG era and the internal fall out in Lab over Lisbon. As every party in the country has slowly moved to the right over the last few years Labour have lost a lot of traditionls which SF are moving into. In order for Lab to remain the strongest of the left they must let the people know they are serious about left politics and not just be a left party propping up a right Government. Looking at the latest polls and the current economic situation there has never been a better opertunity for left politics to take control in Ireland. Lab need to realise this and if they are serious about left politics they need to lead the way to unite the left and put an end to 'tweedledee and tweedledum'.

Hardy

It would be like escaping from the Sopranos only to be captured by the Three Stooges.

Billys Boots

QuoteI would be like escaping from the Sopranos only to be captured by the Three Stooges.

Nah, it would be like escaping from the Marx Brothers (see Duck Soup), only to be captured by the Three Stooges.  Don't be dissing the Sopranos - they'd never have got us in this mess.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

thejuice

I watched the whole thing on the BBC website on saturday, while we didnt learn a whole lot about what they are for or what they plan to do, we were reminded time after time what they were against. But then, isn't that the norm. You'd also have to wonder how much of a future will Gerry have in SF. Some are saying its time he shuffled off the stage and that for them to have a chance in the Rep. they need a new face and a new leader.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Leo

If the Shinners don't have you shot the others will bore you to death.
Interesting times....
Fierce tame altogether

Drumanee 1

a sf labour coalition may be a short term option for some but you only have to see whats happening up here to know thats exactly what it will be short term.sf objectives are are not far away  but how realistic are they?is Gerry and co just feeding patronising crap and know damm rightly nothing will come of it?when sf got involved in the day to day running of  a country they are well and truly out of there depth as ruane and gildernew are proving,it's very hard to know where to turn to up here,the sdlp are not a option as they spend most of there time sniping at sf,at least down there you have options whereas alot of republicans dont here.

The GAA

Donagh

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 03:57:48 PM

What exactly arethose who marched wanting too achieve?

Don't feel bad about not addressing the topic - almost no one else has.

Zapatista

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 23, 2009, 03:46:26 PM
a sf labour coalition may be a short term option for some but you only have to see whats happening up here to know thats exactly what it will be short term.sf objectives are are not far away  but how realistic are they?is Gerry and co just feeding patronising crap and know damm rightly nothing will come of it?when sf got involved in the day to day running of  a country they are well and truly out of there depth as ruane and gildernew are proving,it's very hard to know where to turn to up here,the sdlp are not a option as they spend most of there time sniping at sf,at least down there you have options whereas alot of republicans dont here.

Some people have short memories or else unreal expectations.

10 years is a short time for the day to day running of the north to be changed to suit nationalists and unionists alike. It will take atleast twice that to fix the problems the south are now facing no matter who is in Government.

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 04:07:50 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 23, 2009, 03:46:26 PM

Some people have short memories or else unreal expectations.

10 years is a short time for the day to day running of the north to be changed to suit nationalists and unionists alike. It will take atleast twice that to fix the problems the south are now facing no matter who is in Government.

but if you take away the politics so to speak and look at the performance of sf in the day to day running of the north it leaves alot to be desired,ruane has left our education in a complete mess and gildermew anit far behind