AFL 2009

Started by Aerlik, February 20, 2009, 08:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick999

Looks Like a few of our AFL lads might be coming home:

http://blog.irishecho.com.au/2009/08/26/carlow-star-murphy-quits-sydney-swans/

Carlow star Brendan Murphy has today announced his decision to quit on his fledgling AFL career with the Sydney Swans and return to Ireland permanently.

From the Irish News yesterday:
Clarke could be poised for return home
Gaelic Games
By Niall McCoy
25/08/09

DOWN football could be set for a major boost with the news that Martin Clarke may be considering a permanent return to the Mourne county.

Clarke, currently playing with AFL club Collingwood, has had a mixed season for the Magpies and The Irish News understands that his drop in form and playing time, coupled with homesickness, has left him seriously considering his options.

It would also soften the blow of the imminent departure of rising Down star Jamie O'Reilly, who is poised to join the Richmond Tigers as their first ever Irish recruit. Conor Meredith had been on trial with the club before, but opted to join the Kangaroos instead.

"I've signed a document that says if I'm going to play AFL for anybody, it will be for Richmond. I haven't signed a contract with them yet, but there is one on the table," O'Reilly told The Irish News last week.

"The AFL's pre-season starts in the last week of October, so I've basically 10 weeks to sort things out. If I haven't made my mind up in that time, they will know that I have no intention of going over."

Twenty-one-year-old Clarke joined Collingwood in 2006 and enjoyed a fantastic first season after making his debut against the Sydney Swans in round 12, 2007. Last season he made 22 appearances as his star rose further.

But this year he has only made 12 appearances for the senior side and has been featuring for the second string in the Victorian Football League.

The An Riocht man is unlikely to make any decision on his future until the AFL season finishes on September 26, but if he did decide to return, it would be a major fillip to the county, and for whoever takes over the vacant managerial post.

Clarke's last visit home was at the end of July for his sister's wedding while he also returned home in October 2007 to help An Riocht to Down league success, notching 2-1 in their final victory over Kilcoo.

If he did decide to return to Down on a full-time basis, it could prove significant with regard to players making the switch to Australia.

Clarke was viewed as one of the greatest success stories in terms of players making the switch, but his return would be welcomed by those opposed to the recruitment of young Irish players.

Clarke did not feature in Collingwood's 97-56 victory over the Swans on Sunday, a result which lifted them to third in the table.

However, he was one of the stand-out players as the VFL side earned a finals' berth after a 76-point thumping over Frankston at Visy Park on Saturday afternoon.

Collingwood team-mate Kevin Dyas also performed well in the game as he continues to improve since returning from a hamstring injury picked up in pre-season.

The Dromintee man had played 13 VFL games last year and was touted for a senior call up before injury ruined his season.

Meanwhile, Donegal youngster Sean O'Kennedy will fly out to Australia on Friday for a trial with Collingwood. The Four Masters' clubman has been involved with the county minor squad for the last two years and will be hoping to secure a rookie contract.

Should he agree terms on a two-year international rookie contract following the one-week trial, he will be the first Donegal player to feature in the AFL.

He is unlikely to be the last Ulster man heading for trials though as controversial Australian Rules players' agent Ricky Nixon has arranged more sessions for GAA players.

The attendees, yet to be named, will attend a camp in the winter.

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 03, 2009, 02:16:00 PM
Very sad to hear that about Stynes, hope he makes a full recovery.

Just watched Collingwood v Essendon live, Collingwood won well and after a slow start opened a 5 goal lead in 2nd quarter. Collingwoods tenacious tackling was definitly the stand out. Didak a awesome footballer and super creative.  I presume marty clarke is injured as I didnt see him. Top 4 finish likely for magpies now and wont be far away.

I get some hassle when i say im a collingwood fan, supported them since I took an interest in AFL a few yrs ago and wont change, main reason I picked them was there black and white same as Sligo obviously. Anyways watching the game live today several camera shots of the crowd disturbed me, the passion is one thing but the ferocity of some fans with what was clearly abuse of opposing team players looked bad, and it was both sets. Some lads on here go to games, whats it like? Is it just a minority in 77,699 crowd. I see Tom Cruise  was there aswell.

Christ there is no more spitefull and awfull fans in sport outside of soccer than a Collingwood fan, not a sportsman or sportswoman bone in their body, their fans are plain nasty. Good choice SLIGONIAN

Son_of_Sam

Have a soft spot for Hawthorn, North Melbourne & Adelaide Crows myself. Hate bloody Collingwood.

Declan

QuoteChrist there is no more spitefull and awfull fans in sport outside of soccer than a Collingwood fan, not a sportsman or sportswoman bone in their body, their fans are plain nasty.

Nice generalisation there. In my time down under I went to a couple of Pies games with a mate of mine who was a lifelong collingwood fan and a nicer guy you couldn't meet. Himself and his buddies were decent sorts and whilst passionate during a game never had any issues with other teams fans etc. Hence I still look for their results from a distance

stephenite

Always found the Collingwood boys dead sound - they're hated by everyone though

the real slim shady

St Kilda beat Western Bulldogs today in the 1st Preliminary final by 7 points, 60-54 at the MCG in a very low scoring game, Nicky Riewoldt kicked 2 goals in the last 5/6 minutes to win to for the saints!!!

Looks like it could be the final everyone wants with the Saints and the Cats if they can beat Marty Clarke's Collingwood tomorrow.

Mickey Linden

Will the Collingwood match be on tv tomorrow?

stiffler

Quote from: Mickey Linden on September 18, 2009, 03:50:09 PM
Will the Collingwood match be on tv tomorrow?

anyone know were u can listen to this online?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

stephenite

THe cats hammered them 120-47

Aerlik

Right, now that THE most important football competiton has been decided, it's time to look towards next Satuday and the second most important game.

I'm just glad Collywobbles are out...again.  It would have been agony to have to listen to them.

Based on the performances at the weekend, it is hard to look beyond Geelong.  They were awesome.  However, like most people (note I said most as Collingwood hate everyone) I wouldn't begrudge St.Kilda a win.  I wonder how Robert Harvey is feeling having played so many seasons and just retiring before a potential premiership year.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Aerlik

5 mins to go and the teams are level.  Deadly stuff.  Not pretty, shit weather.

Aerlik

chapman has snapped a goal and 2 mins left. Cats by 6.

Aerlik

point for geelong. saints need 2 goals...game over?