Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Started by thejuice, February 13, 2009, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Yes have you heard of this new stadium being built in Dublin called the Aviva stadium, 50,000 seater apparently, on the south of the liffey just of Shelbourne Road.................................oh wait a minute

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2009/0212/1224241050544.html?via=mr

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Is that some where near The Point?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

I hate when they rename stadia with corporate names, even though it's obviously a financial bonus. It'll always be Lansdowne Road to me. I hope Croker doesn't follow suit.

bingobus

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2009, 10:32:14 AM
I hate when they rename stadia with corporate names, even though it's obviously a financial bonus. It'll always be Lansdowne Road to me. I hope Croker doesn't follow suit.

The Supermacs Bowl has a good Ring to it. We've all been there  :D

Maguire01

I've heard some discussion on this on the radio recently and a lot of commentators reckon that it will probably be referred to as "the Aviva Stadium at Lansdowne Road". Not quite as bad.

To the man on the street though, it won't make a difference. The Point is still The Point to most people i'd imagine.

Minder

I suppose as it is replacing Lansdowne it will be known as "Landsdowne Rd", different for "new" stadiums as Arsenals ground is always referred to as the "Emirates"..........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

It's Lans-downe, not Lands Downe

Roger

Traditionalists in Ireland will be calling it the Norwich Union Stadium.

Main Street

Quote from: bingobus on February 13, 2009, 10:39:48 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2009, 10:32:14 AM

The Supermacs Bowl has a good Ring to it. We've all been there  :D
For Croker, how about the Ham Sandwich?

Mario

We will all be calling it the Aviva Stadium in a couple of years, whether you think so or not, it will be in all the media coverage and will just catch on.

Look at the stadiums in England, the emirates, the reebok, walkers stadium, etc.

Maguire01

Quote from: Mario on February 13, 2009, 01:49:43 PM
We will all be calling it the Aviva Stadium in a couple of years, whether you think so or not, it will be in all the media coverage and will just catch on.

Look at the stadiums in England, the emirates, the reebok, walkers stadium, etc.
Those stadia are different. They don't have the same history in most cases.
Kingspan Breffni Park will still always include Breffni Park in the name.

Main Street

Lansdowne is not the home of Irish soccer.

It's the Rugby crowd who have the Lansdowne name thing and are they not the type who appreciate the nature of the corporate funding?

Canalman

I feel that the FAI will relish the name change.............muddies the issue of the ownership of the ground which I understand is to remain owned by the IRFU.

Main Street

AFAIA the land is owned by the IRFU but the stadium is jointly owned.
Probably that was a precondition for the State's bounty.

ziggysego

The Davin Stand will always be the Canal End to me.
Testing Accessibility