The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Obviously you disagree. Have you a reason?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 10:46:13 AM
Obviously you disagree. Have you a reason?
I believe the conditions to exercise a peaceful road could have been found a long time ago. The PIRA were fighting for a United Ireland. They didn't get it; they settled for an agreement that allows for the majority in NI to decide its future. Peacefully.

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 12:58:06 AMEnniskillen should not have happened

The ultimate mealy-mouthed weasel phrase. Almost makes me puke, to be frank, every time I hear it. Defend the indefensible, if you must, but don't try to have it both ways.

Unfortunately, I missed the Adams interview. I fell asleep listening to Jackson. I'd never seen or heard him out of character before. I was disappointed to find that, as with so many actors, there doesn't seem to be anyone in there. Perhaps a harsh judgement based on ten minutes of a trivia show, but anyway.

The <shudder> Wolfe Tones woke me with a horrible fright from a nightmare of being in an amplified hen house with a fleet of foxes running amok. But I was soon sleeping like a baby again when the cacophony stopped.

Nally Stand

While their stated aim was Irish Unity, they were never foolish enough to think they could do so by force. They fought to bring the brits to the table. The fact that the brits initially didn't take peace seriously led to canary wharf. Republicans are still in the process of working for Irish Unity peacefully.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on February 13, 2010, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 12:58:06 AMEnniskillen should not have happened

The ultimate mealy-mouthed weasel phrase. Almost makes me puke, to be frank, every time I hear it. Defend the indefensible, if you must, but don't try to have it both ways.

Unfortunately, I missed the Adams interview. I fell asleep listening to Jackson. I'd never seen or heard him out of character before. I was disappointed to find that, as with so many actors, there doesn't seem to be anyone in there. Perhaps a harsh judgement based on ten minutes of a trivia show, but anyway.

The <shudder> Wolfe Tones woke me with a horrible fright from a nightmare of being in an amplified hen house with a fleet of foxes running amok. But I was soon sleeping like a baby again when the cacophony stopped.

You should be posting that on the "You know you're getting old thread..." ;D

Nally Stand

Hardy, if you try re-reading my post I would challenge you to pick out where I defended the Enniskillen bomb. I clearly stated it should not have happened. I won't tolerate being accused of defending it. I simply said that the IRA also stated it should not have happened. They also rightly apologised. Notably, they are the only party to the war who have apologised for their wrong doings. I also notice in your posts on this board that when it comes to the brits your attitude is to ignore the indefensible.

Zapatista

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 13, 2010, 11:01:07 AM
I believe the conditions to exercise a peaceful road could have been found a long time ago. The PIRA were fighting for a United Ireland. They didn't get it; they settled for an agreement that allows for the majority in NI to decide its future. Peacefully.

The peacefull road led to Bloody Sunday. If that isn't an indication of what we were dealing with then we probably won't agree from thereafter.

Hardy

If "it shouldn't have happened" salves your conscience for you and allows you to continue to pretend to yourself that the provo murder campaign (that incident and, no doubt, a list of others apart) was just and noble, then perhaps you should consider a career in the clergy. Mental reservation is big there.

As I said - the ultimate mealy-mouthed weasel phrase.

BC - I was thinking that myself.

Nally Stand

Again, where did I say it was just and noble? And if the IRA's campaign was a "murder campaign", what was the brits campaign?? Or for some reason was there a large proportion of people (calling themselves IRA) who just happened to like killing people knocking about in those times and it was just a coincidence that they were about at the same time as britain was carrying out atrocities? I prefer to believe the IRA were a reactionary force to the brit actions that you tend to accept/ignore.

A Quinn Martin Production

Maybe I'm getting old but I thought the job of an interviewer was to ask a question and then let the other person answer it.  Not constantly interrupt the respondent.  Adams might have questions to answer over his brother...let's hope Tubridy isn't asking them. ::)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 11:43:55 AM
Again, where did I say it was just and noble? And if the IRA's campaign was a "murder campaign", what was the brits campaign?? Or for some reason was there a large proportion of people (calling themselves IRA) who just happened to like killing people knocking about in those times and it was just a coincidence that they were about at the same time as britain was carrying out atrocities? I prefer to believe the IRA were a reactionary force to the brit actions that you tend to accept/ignore.

How did I know that was coming next? Rule 3(a), Section (i): If you're not a provo you're a Brit sympathiser.

Anyway, are you now saying the provo murder campaign wasn't just? That would seem a strange reversal within the space of a few posts.

Nally Stand

No I don't regard you as a brit apologist because you didn't support the IRA, rather because you completely ignore references to British atrocities and choose to only attack republicanism. And I've made no reversal i said that Enniskillen wasn't just. The broad IRA campaign was however. I don't regard the IRA campaign as a murder campaign. That would be me regarding it as a criminal campaign which it was not.

Hardy

Standard answer No. 17. Diversionary "whatabout" tactic B2.

I'm still a brit apologist, though? Well analysed, Dr. Freud. I'm also ignoring the theory of evolution for the purposes of this "discussion". But before you scurry off to make a "creationist" placard to hang around my neck, note that I'm also ignoring creationism. Where does that leave you?

I'll leave the last word, or paragraph from the manual, to yourself, This stuff gets boring after thirteen years of it here. So fire away with whatever labels you feel like sticking on me, just because I can't console myself with "it shouldn't have happened" (in my name).

Nally Stand

Typical smug arrogant reply from someone with no good counter-argument.

Sandino

Hardy I have tried to avoid these type of debates about the troubles on this board. However its never ceases to amaze me the knowledge or lack of knowledgeof the Troubles that is displayed by some posters from south of the border. This was shown be the crowd last night. Where do people gain souch knowledge, from RTE or the BBC.

The 'Whataboutry' you accuse  Nalley of is not only from one side. I tend to think that those who have strong opinions here in the north from both the pro and anti armed struggle debate have reached their views because because of their own lives and where the trouble brought them.

PS. Young People are entitled to opinions to.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''