School daze and nostalgia.

Started by Puckoon, January 26, 2009, 01:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2009, 04:11:49 PM
Glenroe on a Sunday evening was like a reality check. Then you realised it was the time it was and you had no bloody homework done for the next morning. Cue panic stations.

QuotePatrick football boots: Always with winter studs training on frozen pitches coming up through the soles cutting my feet to bits and always too small. Still better than Gola cause Liam Brady wore them.

Used to wear them myself but never thought they were that bad. A few scores and telling passes were hit with them back in the day.  ;)

It probably only happened a couple of times but the memory plays tricks. Played once against feckers from Summerhill in them.

We lost 5-0.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

I remember being gutted that the folks wouldnt buy me a pair of levis - even though my mate had tons of pairs sent over from Amerikay.

All I wanted was a pair of red tab jeans.

Had the Patrick '90 football boots and trainers. Fecking useless they were (I was).

Remember winning 50quid at the bingo in the foresters hall with my grandma and not calling "Check" for at least 3 more numbers because I was worried I hadnt done it right. Straight into Marty Woodheads place the next day and bought my first pair of Nike Air Max.

illdecide

Do any of you remember "Monkey Magic" i used to love that show...

what about grocery day, when your ma came home with the grocerys and as soon as you got you ma's back turned you were burried to the straps in the biscuits...lol

Jasus i remember playing "Veitnam" in a place called Bellsie (short for Bells Row) during the summer holidays you up in that place till dark jumping from walls and making swings from the trees not to mention having your way with the girls in your underground hut...them were the days
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Our Nail Loney

Used to get a day pass at the leisure centre beside where I live

In the pool, playing indoor soccer, bouncy castle, a small chip and rounding off the day with a fight...

Or going into town (lurgan), walk in to save money for your carry out later but tell your am you are getting the bus, get your hair cut at jim mcilroys as he did it for 1.30, again saving for the carry out, probably get into a fight with some lurgan ones in town that you had seen ni centrepoint under age or the stables!!

Hereiam

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2009, 04:12:48 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 26, 2009, 04:02:11 PM
When there was bad snow getting an empty peat bag and sliding down the field on it, getting soaked at the bottom and then racing up to do it again.

Used to do that too except contruct a ramp at the bottom. The empty coal bag gave very little protection on landing!

Jesus we had the best time in the snow. Used to get old fertilizer bags and but some hay/straw in them and tie it at the top with a bit of baler twine. Straight up the the hills and we would be there for hours.

The Iceman

used to always have baler twine in my pocket - was big into hunting and there were always dogs left behind - always handy in case you seen one knocking about to catch and bring home lol
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Shamrock Shore

Tyrones own

Remember the wee bit of a cornflakes box folded up and held in to the rear spokes of the bike
with a clothes peg for the "motor bike sound" :D
Place suddenly becoming a ghost town when the Dukes of Hazzard was coming on.
At that age Daisy may have played a part in that :o
Being so Afraid of getting caught smoking we'd walk about a mile to this big wall
to hide the new 20 deck of Bensons we'd gotten someone to buy for us, find a loose stone and stash them
then spend about 2 days looking for them cause we couldn't remember which stone they were behind..
only to give up and curse each other out of it for being so stupid.... :D
The dizzy head after having smoked said Bensons :(
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

SidelineKick

Not sure if its been mentioned but Cremola Foam.

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 26, 2009, 06:22:26 PM

Being so Afraid of getting caught smoking we'd walk about a mile to this big wall
to hide the new 20 deck of Bensons we'd gotten someone to buy for us, find a loose stone and stash them
then spend about 2 days looking for them cause we couldn't remember which stone they were behind..
only to give up and curse each other out of it for being so stupid.... :D

I'd say it was more that one of your mates went back and robbed the fags for himself !
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

My grandparents lived in the arsehole of nowhere - at the top of Knockmanny Forest. There used to be a man called John McDonagh who drove a mobile grocery shop. Every Tuesday he'd pull around the back of the house and granny would stock the pantry.

Was great being there for the visit, I always got a packet of something.

Anyone else ever come across a mobile grocery shop?

maggie

Quote from: Puckoon on January 26, 2009, 06:48:26 PM
My grandparents lived in the arsehole of nowhere - at the top of Knockmanny Forest. There used to be a man called John McDonagh who drove a mobile grocery shop. Every Tuesday he'd pull around the back of the house and granny would stock the pantry.

Yip-was the highlight of our week.
Living in the sticks-we were simple folk.

fred the red

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 26, 2009, 06:22:26 PM
Remember the wee bit of a cornflakes box folded up and held in to the rear spokes of the bike
with a clothes peg for the "motor bike sound" :D

Do you mind getting the wee 'spokies' the you put on the spokes of your bike that you got outta cornflakes!

Puckoon

Were they the wee coloured balls that went on the spokes?

Stunt pegs for the BMX was another bicycle addition.

The Iceman

Quote from: Puckoon on January 26, 2009, 06:48:26 PM

Used to be a van with Mother's pride on it came down our road and stopped at the houses - came once a week  - remember lifting two wham bars but only paying for one every time because his eye sight wasn't great - thought I was a real smart ass ha
Remember the farmers asking us if we wanted to collect from their hedges for the halloween bonfires - only realise now we were doing them a favour
Rolling boiled eggs down a grass hill at easter
Riding on the back of Silage trailors up the lane and jumping off without getting killed
Making random huts in hedges and trees
Getting a pair of white DM's and never wearing them when i realised how cack they looked
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight