School daze and nostalgia.

Started by Puckoon, January 26, 2009, 01:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

Bath after Doctor Who , always ended in tears as the brother hated getting the hair washed .

Toys - Evil Kneevel , Action Men , Marbles . Solders . Dinkies . Grifter .

Clothes young Lad - Cords , flares , itchy trousers , tank tops , aran jumpers (yer Ma knitted ) Snorkel Jackets , Duffle Coats , Handed down efforts from yer cousin ,

Clothes Teenager - Parka Jacket , Harrington , Denim Jacket , Doc's Boots / shoes , Loafers , George Webbs , white socks . Wrangler jeans , black cords drain pipes . Combats . Grandfather shirts . Madness Jumper .

Music - Madness , The Specials , The Beat , Bad Manners

Lar Naparka

I remember the oul fella waking me and my brothers up in the early hours. He'd have the transistor radio with him. (It was one of the earliest models and it was quite big and cumbersome.)
He'd get in under the bedclothes and start tuning and muttering under his breath until he picked up AFN (American Forces Network) from Germany
Then through all the crackle and hissing we'd listen to Patterson fighting Johansen or Clay fighting Sonny Liston and other heavyweight title contests.
I don't think he ever bothered with fights at lighter weights unless some high profile boxer, such as Sugar Ray Robinson or Archie Moore , was involved.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

The Watcher Pat

Going fishing and my da falling in to the river...Soooo funny!!
Getting a new fishing rod for my 10th birthday and practicing casting in my side garden...

Having a paper round and getting paid 2p for every Belfast Telegraph i delivered......I really hate that paper now....

5p meanies and woppa chews!!!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Treasurer

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 26, 2009, 11:38:49 AM
He'd have the transistor radio with him.

That reminds me of listening to Radio Luxembourg - a music station - wow!!  Before the cominatcha days!!

I had a little transistor in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head (still works) which I got one Christmas - I can still remember lying in bed with the radio to my ear listening to the crackles as I waited for the beeps that signalled the start of the radio for the day.

Random thought - fishing for prinkeens in the local stream with a jam jar tied with string.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: downredblack on January 26, 2009, 11:35:32 AM
Bath after Doctor Who , always ended in tears as the brother hated getting the hair washed .

Toys - Evil Kneevel , Action Men , Marbles . Solders . Dinkies . Grifter .

Clothes young Lad - Cords , flares , itchy trousers , tank tops , aran jumpers (yer Ma knitted ) Snorkel Jackets , Duffle Coats , Handed down efforts from yer cousin ,

Clothes Teenager - Parka Jacket , Harrington , Denim Jacket , Doc's Boots / shoes , Loafers , George Webbs , white socks . Wrangler jeans , black cords drain pipes . Combats . Grandfather shirts . Madness Jumper .

Music - Madness , The Specials , The Beat , Bad Manners

I remember getting into the bath with the Y fronts on and thinking I was Tarzan

Toys - Tonka toys, Chopper (avoiding the dreaded speed wobble at all costs)

Clothes  - Nature treks and anything from Tom Connolly out of the back of his car.  He always had the latest fashion!

Music - anything you could get the air guitar out to and head bang.  Crazy stuff

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Treasurer on January 26, 2009, 11:48:00 AM

That reminds me of listening to Radio Luxembour - a music station - wow!!  Before the cominatcha days!!

I had a little transistor in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head (still works) which I got one Christmas - I can still remember lying in bed with the radio to my ear listening to the crackles as I waited for the beeps that signalled the start of the radio for the day.#

Random thought - fishing for prinkeens in the local stream with a jam jar tied with string.

Used to listen to Atlantic 252....Is that still going?

Billys Boots

QuoteThat reminds me of listening to Radio Luxembourg - a music station - wow!!  Before the cominatcha days!!

Oh yeah, the charts were on a Monday night - I remember Shamrock Shore used to tune in for a Beatles night fairly regularly too.

Anyone remember the Ghost-Story on RTÉ1 around 11 o'clock at night??
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 26, 2009, 11:51:38 AM
Quote from: Treasurer on January 26, 2009, 11:48:00 AM

That reminds me of listening to Radio Luxembour - a music station - wow!!  Before the cominatcha days!!

I had a little transistor in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head (still works) which I got one Christmas - I can still remember lying in bed with the radio to my ear listening to the crackles as I waited for the beeps that signalled the start of the radio for the day.#

Used to listen to Atlantic 252....Is that still going?
No. There is something on the channel but it's not in the format you remember with crazy dj's such as Dusty Rhodes etc. You can recreate the Atlantic 252 experience by taking Now That's What I Call Music 25 and playing it on a loop 24/7.

ziggysego

CB Radio. Used to sit up half the night talking on it. Great craic. I was known as the Phoenix Flame. Used to chat to a blade on the Shankill Road, can't mind her handle. Sometimes, if the weather was right, the skip would take me as far as Germany. They could speak English, but I could speak German. Embarrassing really. Great times.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Donagh on January 26, 2009, 11:13:13 AM
Quote from: winsamsoon on January 26, 2009, 10:55:27 AM
Another i remember was when we used to get out at break time in primary school for a wee carton of milk (class) That was until the bitch known as Thacher took it away  ;)

I remember the wee half pint bottles before the cartons.
With the skinny blue straws? Remember some of the bottles still having ice in them or the silver foil pecked off by a hungry bird when the crates were left outside in the morning.

full back

Quote from: ziggysego on January 26, 2009, 12:20:21 PM
CB Radio. Used to sit up half the night talking on it. Great craic. I was known as the Phoenix Flame. Used to chat to a blade on the Shankill Road

Always a horn dog ziggy

Wasnt Rick O Shea from 2fm originally on Atlantic 252?

illdecide

Swimming in Lough Neagh and avoiding the cow dung in the fields and what was left of the clay pigeon's to get to the Lough at Castor's Bay...Oh and the tar melting on the roads walking to it...

My blue R Grifter bike i got for my birthday...thought i was the dogs bollocks
What about when you got a new pair of guddies (trainers to most of ya) and you thought it would make you run faster...lol
Playing Gaelic football in St Teresa's primary school and the field riddled with daisy's and the late Gerry Fegan taking us to away matches all crammed into his car (yes thats correct 1 car for a whole team)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

full back

Quote from: illdecide on January 26, 2009, 12:34:40 PM
What about when you got a new pair of guddies (trainers to most of ya)

I thought it was gutties.... ???

What about finding the empty Tennants cans in the fields with the semi-dressed women on the side of them :o

the green man

Gathering up Money Back bottles. Playing tennis for however long Wimbledon lasted.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: the green man on January 26, 2009, 12:43:28 PM
Gathering up Money Back bottles. Playing tennis for however long Wimbledon lasted.

I used to be andre Agassi...Now I've less hair than him....

No matter how hard i tried i still havent beat that wall....still manages to return all my serves!!!