Know your place....

Started by iluvni, January 15, 2009, 11:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iluvni

"With 24 countries having approved the treaty, I am not sure whether the voters of Ireland should have a right of veto over the aspirations of all the other people of Europe. I am not sure whether that is, or is not democracy."

UK Foreign Office Minister, Lord Malloch-Brown.

---

Still voting Yes for the Lisbon Treaty?

Tubberman

Nothing in that quote to make me change my mind one way or the other.
I can see where he's coming from. To use a GAA analogy, if all counties voted to bring in a new disciplinary system yet Tyrone (or any other county before the accusations start flying!) were somehow able to veto it, there were be uproar.
People would say that's not democracy, that the vast majority want change and Tyrone shouldn't be able to block it.
He's making the same point.   
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

In all fairness, who the feck gives a sh*te what he says, he'd do better trying to sort out the mess that is Britians foreign interventionist policies in Iraq and Afganistan!
Maybe a quote from him condemning the Israeli's actions in Gaza would be better placed.
Lord (my arse) he was Kofi Annan's lickspittle for long enough.

Rant over.  ;)
Tbc....

thejuice

Quote from: iluvni on January 15, 2009, 11:18:02 AM
"With 24 countries having approved the treaty, I am not sure whether the voters of Ireland should have a right of veto over the aspirations of all the other people of Europe. I am not sure whether that is, or is not democracy."

---

Funny how the only other people who have a say in the Lisbon treaty sit in the European Parliament. All the other people in Europe never had a say in any of it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Quote from: Tubberman on January 15, 2009, 11:24:49 AM
Nothing in that quote to make me change my mind one way or the other.
I can see where he's coming from. To use a GAA analogy, if all counties voted to bring in a new disciplinary system yet Tyrone (or any other county before the accusations start flying!) were somehow able to veto it, there were be uproar.
People would say that's not democracy, that the vast majority want change and Tyrone shouldn't be able to block it.
He's making the same point.  

There's a difference, though, in that there's no indication at all that a majority in Europe, vast or otherwise, want this change and every indication of the opposite, in that all electorates who have been allowed to vote on it have rejected it (in its various guises).

red hander

Quote from: iluvni on January 15, 2009, 11:18:02 AM

---

At least the Irish people were given the opportunity to vote ... I don't think Ireland requires any lessons on democracy from the brits