The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

excellent news. well done Everton.

Everton have banned the Sun "from all areas of its operation" after the newspaper published "appalling and indefensible" allegations about Ross Barkley and the people of Liverpool.

The article, written by columnist Kelvin MacKenzie, appeared on Friday.

MacKenzie was suspended after comparing the midfielder, whose grandfather was born in Nigeria, to a "gorilla".

He also wrote that men with similar "pay packets" to Barkley in Liverpool were "drug dealers".

Everton said in a statement: "The newspaper has to know that any attack on this City, either against a much respected community or individual, is not acceptable."

Merseyside Police are investigating whether MacKenzie's comments constitute a "racial hate crime".

The Sun apologised "for the offence caused" and added that it was "unaware of Barkley's heritage".

In a statement of his own, MacKenzie reiterated the latter sentiment, adding that it was "beyond parody" to describe the column as "racist".

In February, Liverpool banned Sun journalists from its grounds over the newspaper's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

This Saturday, 15 April, marks the 28th anniversary of the disaster.

'The people's club have listened to the people'

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson had led calls for Everton to ban the newspaper and he spoke with Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright on Saturday.

"Today of all days it's good news, " Anderson told BBC Sport. "We at Everton have always been proud of the fact that we have supported Liverpool FC and their fans through this.

"Everton prides itself on being called the people's club, they have listened to the people and I am delighted with how they have reacted. All credit to Bill Kenwright, he spoke to me this morning and understood that people had strong feelings on it."

Anderson had called for fans to protest at today's Premier League game at Goodison Park against Burnley.

But he now says that is not necessary, adding: "Everton have responded in a positive way. We will today remember and pray for those who lost their lives in the Hillsborough disaster."

Former Liverpool striker Stan Collymore tweeted: "As we always knew. The People's Club. Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum. Thank you Everton, thank you."
nil satis nisi optimum

seafoid

McKenzie is believed to be working on an article about Tranmere Rovers
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Avondhu star

While remembering Hillsborough lets not forget Heyssel. 39 dead 600 injured. 14 Liverpool fans convicted of manslaughter.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Esmarelda

Quote from: The Stallion on April 14, 2017, 07:52:02 PM
Seems to be an awful lot of people being outraged about a paper they claim not to read. Apparently quite a few have chosen to read this Sun article at least.
I think you realise that most people have seen the article reproduced on other websites.

Why do you feel the need to make a point you know to be untrue?

Main Street

Quote from: johnneycool on April 15, 2017, 12:48:33 PM
Quote from: Hectic on April 15, 2017, 09:05:23 AM
To pull out the racist card in this instance is wrong. It is subjective and turns it into a debate about the implication of one sentence in what was an overall disgusting attack on a young man whose crime is being a public figure.

I don't think McKenzie meant to be racist, although his constant jibes at Liverpool and it's inhabitants says more about the odious p***k that he is.
It's time the PFA stood up for it's members and canvas it's members to not give interviews to the Sun and it now should be a given that Everton ban them as well.
Fwiw, you don't need to prove racist intent in a questionable racist statement in order for that statement to be judged racist.
But it would be wise to look at the context.

One question is what did McKenzie intend by comparing Ross to an ape?
He's saying that he's not human, below a human, dehumanize the target as if to indicate that being a non human is the problem. That why black people were historically  compared to apes/monkeys and still are. It became part of the everyday language of racists and slave trade apologists.

Imo, the racist tag still applies in this case even if McKenzie was unaware that it was in the public domain that Ross could  have declared for Nigeria, due to his family blood ties. McKenzie used the traditional racist put-down of black people and applied it to what he probably thought was a lowly scouser. I think we can reasonably infer that McKenzie is dehumanising  by association, equating a lowlife scouser to a lowlife black person by trying to dehumanise Ross with the  ape comparison.

Here is an example of context, how a word could sound racist if you ignore the vital importance of context.
Recently an Australian pundit who likened a development in the play by Venus Willams to a  guerilla effect (tactic). UnfortunatEly for him, an outraged public thought he said gorilla and context was totally diminished as a value by which we understand the spoken language, it was replaced by ignorant blind emotion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/01/19/espn-analyst-says-he-did-not-liken-venus-williams-to-a-gorilla-but-a-guerrilla/?utm_term=.c5cf8b285d2d

The Stallion

Quote from: Esmarelda on April 15, 2017, 06:09:37 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on April 14, 2017, 07:52:02 PM
Seems to be an awful lot of people being outraged about a paper they claim not to read. Apparently quite a few have chosen to read this Sun article at least.
I think you realise that most people have seen the article reproduced on other websites.

Why do you feel the need to make a point you know to be untrue?

I don't know it to be untrue. It's quite apparent many people who have read this Sun article are the same people who claim not to read the Sun.

Hectic

Quote from: Main Street on April 15, 2017, 09:01:48 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 15, 2017, 12:48:33 PM
Quote from: Hectic on April 15, 2017, 09:05:23 AM
To pull out the racist card in this instance is wrong. It is subjective and turns it into a debate about the implication of one sentence in what was an overall disgusting attack on a young man whose crime is being a public figure.

I don't think McKenzie meant to be racist, although his constant jibes at Liverpool and it's inhabitants says more about the odious p***k that he is.
It's time the PFA stood up for it's members and canvas it's members to not give interviews to the Sun and it now should be a given that Everton ban them as well.
Fwiw, you don't need to prove racist intent in a questionable racist statement in order for that statement to be judged racist.
But it would be wise to look at the context.

One question is what did McKenzie intend by comparing Ross to an ape?
He's saying that he's not human, below a human, dehumanize the target as if to indicate that being a non human is the problem. That why black people were historically  compared to apes/monkeys and still are. It became part of the everyday language of racists and slave trade apologists.

Imo, the racist tag still applies in this case even if McKenzie was unaware that it was in the public domain that Ross could  have declared for Nigeria, due to his family blood ties. McKenzie used the traditional racist put-down of black people and applied it to what he probably thought was a lowly scouser. I think we can reasonably infer that McKenzie is dehumanising  by association, equating a lowlife scouser to a lowlife black person by trying to dehumanise Ross with the  ape comparison.

Here is an example of context, how a word could sound racist if you ignore the vital importance of context.
Recently an Australian pundit who likened a development in the play by Venus Willams to a  guerilla effect (tactic). UnfortunatEly for him, an outraged public thought he said gorilla and context was totally diminished as a value by which we understand the spoken language, it was replaced by ignorant blind emotion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/01/19/espn-analyst-says-he-did-not-liken-venus-williams-to-a-gorilla-but-a-guerrilla/?utm_term=.c5cf8b285d2d

Yes we have all these laws and definitions around topics like racism, sexism etc where someone simply has to be offended in a certain manner for it to be that manner of offence. But there was a lot of stuff in his article that was highly distasteful and a lot of stuff where there can be no ambiguity that was pretty disgusting to stick in a newspaper column. But look guys like this are writing articles like this is titles like the Sun because there is a demand among readers for this type of crap. It says a lot about a section of the GB public that this passed through the editorial process as something that was deemed suitable consumption for their target audience.

Walter Cronc

Pickford to Everton for £30 million!!!

SHEEDY

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 13, 2017, 12:33:32 PM
Pickford to Everton for £30 million!!!
apparently its 18million up front with another 12million in add ons. he's only 23 and if he's about for next 10 years it will be money well spent, great signing.
nil satis nisi optimum

SHEEDY

Everton have completed the signing off ajax captain davy klaasen for 26 million. Splashing the cash early in the window,  another good signing.
nil satis nisi optimum

manfromdelmonte

£56 million in deals already

this could get interesting
spending the lukaku cash in advance?
or morshiri showing the ambition of the club

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 15, 2017, 10:39:43 PM
£56 million in deals already

this could get interesting
spending the lukaku cash in advance?
or morshiri showing the ambition of the club

Bill is only getting round to spending the Arteta money, he's still to spend the Stones and Fellaini money  ;D

Walter Cronc

Is this the Lukaku/Barkley money?

Klassen a good signing.

Fuzzman

Who cares where the money is coming from as long as we are showing ambition by not being scared to pay £25M+ for decent players now rather than our old attitude of ahh that's far too dear. He's not worth that!

I'm delighted we're getting these deals done early and not just talking about it for weeks. Klaasan was Ajax's captain last year and their 2nd top scorer. With all the defensive midfielders we have we badly needed a scoring midfielder.

Hopefully Barkley will stay and fight for his place but I reckon Rom will definitely leave.
I don't think this Niang lad is that great though from what the Milan fans were saying on their discussion boards
He has only scored 29 goals in his 157 game club career to date, a worse record than Niasse, yet loads of clubs seem interested in him.

I'd much rather this Sandro lad who looks to have it all but I think he's taking his time and looking around to see who's interested in him before he decides where he wants to go to. At £6M he would be a steal.

Captain Scarlet

Everton fans tell me this one now...
I see on Twitter than there is a decent split re Barkley in terms of letting him off or keeping him. I honestly want to know how you lads rate him.
In terms of transfer rumours talk of Spurs are flying but he wouldn´t get a sniff with Dele Ali at 10 and the workrate seems to be an issue for Koeman, and Pochettino demands even more in terms of pressing.
I just don´t get how a lad who blows so hot and cold at 23 is valued so much while some Everton fans on twitter are saying Klassen is crap. He is a year older and is way more established.
I am not trolling or messing here, as I genuinely don´t see Barkley being a consistent player all season.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.