The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Everton has spent some amount of money in the last 12 months, that about £220m. So much of that has been wasted.

Gabriel_Hurl

Maybe Walcott will help them get their first shot on target this year in the Premier League  :)

SHEEDY

with baines a long way off being fit and coming to the end of his days anyway a new left back is badly needed. cuco martina is a complete liability and shouldnt be anywhere near the 1st team.
im happy enough with walcott, he's a definite upgrade on lennon and miralles and should get us some goals or some shots at goal at least, which would be a major improvement.

im with johnneycool on big sam, dont want him about the place and hopefully he wont be around next season.
nil satis nisi optimum

Fuzzman

Fair enough lads but what is it about him ye don't like?
Is it just that he's nearly always associated with teams fighting for survival and not top 4?

Most would say Koeman is a better manager than him and look how he had that team playing.

We've virtually had no striker all season up to now and nearly all of our team is different from 2 years ago.
I knew we had to take 2 steps back to go one forward but I dont see us having wasted that much money.

I think Siggurdsson is a class player though a little too laid back at time. If he has a good target man he will look better and now with Walcott and Bolasie making good runs into space he can unlock defences.
Rooney is Rooney in that some days he'll look slow and useless and other days score goals from nowhere.
Schneiderlin is the one I am most disappointed with tbh but Gana can get back to one of the best tacklers and man markers in the game if he can curb his yellow cards.

Left back is definitely a problem as is Centre Half perhaps. Pickford will be a future England No1 and will make the odd mistake here and there but sure what keeper does.
We saw a few years ago what a good run of games and confidence can do where we can challenge a few of those top 6 teams for maybe 4th but for me the big difference now is we do have a owner where we can pay big money for players and big wages but we're not gonna attract the top top players who want to play for Utd, City or Chelsea or Arsenal are we.

johnneycool

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 17, 2018, 04:47:54 PM
Why don't you rate him JC?

Has he just got a bad rep for no reason?
He was the England manager after all until he messed it up but I think he's a wise old codger and is as good as Moyes or Bobby was and we saw what Koeman did to us.

It's too easy to say this lad and that lad isn't up to it but who is?
I think he's a lot more experienced than say Eddie Howe or man other young managers.

To be precise, he's full of his own shit.

A few of his Everton TV interviews when he took over and stumbled on a winning streak aided by a few ropey penalties was all we did this and we're doing that, but just look at the interviews he's given since the 4-0 drubbing by Spurs it was all they, they didn't do this and they didn't do that.
He's distancing himself when there's a poor result, but all smiley look how great I am when they win.

Parking the bus against West Brom and being happy with a 0-0 draw, tried the same again a week later against Bournemouth and got stung by a late goal with one shot on target the whole game and he moans about Bournemouth being lucky. If you don't shot, you don't score, its simple SAM.

I don't think they've improved or changed a whole pile since Koeman got the chop. Still haven't got a replacement in for Lukaka who seems to have been papering over a whole load of cracks last year.

Brick Tamlin

Big Sam is the closest thing to a real life Mike Bassett 'England Manager' in the game today.
Hes the living embodiment of British twattery. Gum-chewing, arrogant, snarling, untrustworthy top blokey bloke. The Man's man.

johnneycool

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on January 18, 2018, 10:04:38 AM
Big Sam is the closest thing to a real life Mike Bassett 'England Manager' in the game today.
Hes the living embodiment of British twattery. Gum-chewing, arrogant, snarling, untrustworthy top blokey bloke. The Man's man.

Except Mike Bassett's favourite formation was 4-4-fúcking 2.

Big Sam likes 5-4-1

Other than that there's not a whole pile in it.

Ricky Tomlinson for Everton management.

Fuzzman

Any manager worth his salt would know he had to stop us conceding goals.
We were in freefall for the first few months and the players didn't wanna listen to Koeman any more so Sam had to batten down the hatches and it paid dividends.
If you become hard to beat that's the first step to recovery and then you start to build your confidence.
We probably had our strongest team out against Liverpool in the cup and probably played our best game that night.

I think too many fans just need a scapegoat or someone to give out about and are never happy with anything they get. Look how many are not happy with Wenger or Maureeno and last year a lot of RS were not happy with Klopphead.

Who would ye guys like to be our next manager and I mean someone we actually have a chance of getting.
I think Sam was not Moshiri's first or even second choice

johnneycool

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 18, 2018, 05:17:31 PM
Any manager worth his salt would know he had to stop us conceding goals.
We were in freefall for the first few months and the players didn't wanna listen to Koeman any more so Sam had to batten down the hatches and it paid dividends.
If you become hard to beat that's the first step to recovery and then you start to build your confidence.
We probably had our strongest team out against Liverpool in the cup and probably played our best game that night.

I think too many fans just need a scapegoat or someone to give out about and are never happy with anything they get. Look how many are not happy with Wenger or Maureeno and last year a lot of RS were not happy with Klopphead.

Who would ye guys like to be our next manager and I mean someone we actually have a chance of getting.
I think Sam was not Moshiri's first or even second choice

I can understand battening down the hatches when playing some of the bigger but teams who are also struggling like WBA and Bournemouth speaks volumes of his expectations. One point picked up from a possible 6 isn't good.

What happened this defensive structure against Spurs?

I don't see any great improvement in defence for he's meant to be renowned for. Granted Martina is shite but why keep starting him?

Fuzzman

JC, when your team is in a bad place with zero confidence then you always go back to basics and that means get bodies back and play it safe. Before Sam took over we were leaking 4 and 5 goals a game but then he sorted it out I think we only conceded 2 goals in 6 or 7 games.

Why could Koeman not sort that out?

I dont mean to have a go at you BUT...;-)
you remind me of a few older men I know who watch GAA now who give out about everything and say he shouldn't be playing and that's rubbish etc etc but they never give any solutions.

Yes 1 point from 6 is not good form and our lack of shots on target is a huge problem but they have brought it two good attacking players so they are trying to address the problem.

Who would you realistically like to see manage Everton and you think England had a lucky escape when Sam messed up the job.

We all agree Martina is rubbish but who else do you play there? Both Sam and Koeman both picked him so that not tell you they have no alternatives. He picks himself as does Kenny these days.

johnneycool

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 19, 2018, 02:51:46 PM
JC, when your team is in a bad place with zero confidence then you always go back to basics and that means get bodies back and play it safe. Before Sam took over we were leaking 4 and 5 goals a game but then he sorted it out I think we only conceded 2 goals in 6 or 7 games.

Why could Koeman not sort that out?

I dont mean to have a go at you BUT...;-)
you remind me of a few older men I know who watch GAA now who give out about everything and say he shouldn't be playing and that's rubbish etc etc but they never give any solutions.

Yes 1 point from 6 is not good form and our lack of shots on target is a huge problem but they have brought it two good attacking players so they are trying to address the problem.

Who would you realistically like to see manage Everton and you think England had a lucky escape when Sam messed up the job.

We all agree Martina is rubbish but who else do you play there? Both Sam and Koeman both picked him so that not tell you they have no alternatives. He picks himself as does Kenny these days.

Koeman had obviously lost the changing room and was on a hiding to nothing. Not getting Giroud or another physical striker in was his downfall, coupled with injuries to Funes Mori ( I think he's underrated) and Seamus as well as a major loss of form with Williams and to a lesser extent Jagielka left Everton badly exposed. Signing Keane was a good move and I think he will come good with better players around him. He was also going to shoe horn in Rooney when it patently wasn't working. Martina should never have been signed even for free.

What has big Sam done since?
Not much else if the truth be told. New man Tosun bucked up front with no support against Spurs, defence making basic errors and giving the ball away at will.

Big Unsy got a good win against a poor West Ham a few days after big Sam came on board and he more or less stuck with Rooney playing deeper off DCL and that worked for a few games, soft penalties aside. But the same issues are there.

we'd have been better going for the likes of Eddie Howe who with a lot less resources has a team playing decent football and holding their own.
Big Sam is hopefully a stopgap till the summer.

The game on Saturday against another team that doesn't want the ball will be a cracker.............

Fuzzman

Before Sam took over we were in Free Fall
In December we played 8 matches under Sam and lost one- Away to Bournemouth
Are you trying to say Sam didn't steady the ship, stop us conceding goals and get draws at Anfield and home to the champions?
In January we've lost at home to Man Utd and gave Liverpool a real good game in the cup.
Spurs collapse was bad but when you go a goal down to a team from the top 4 they will punish you big time on the break.

To me that's quite a turnaround but in my eyes there are a lot of biased fans who cannot step back and see for themselves what is really happening but have an idea about the man that the won't change. Had he got us to 6th place would you still be saying he's not that man to take us forward. I suspect you would.
Basically he can do no right in a lot of people's eyes just because he's never been with a BIG club before which we are no longer either.

I think we've bought well in this window and would be delighted if Vardy was to come too but at least Sam has stopped the rut and we're not looking at the bottom half of the table.

From the Bunker

Sam is a decent short term solution. Everton were in trouble and he steadied the ship. But long term Everton fans would be hoping for some one to push the club on. Some one new and fresh! Along with Sam there are a heap of worn out Managers - Hodgeson, Hughes, Pardew, and Moyles. They seem to be just hopping from one club to another. Another version of a Journey man player!

gawa316

Would've thought Wagner or even Houghton would've been better options

SHEEDY

James mccarthy has suffered a real bad injury, looks like a very serious broken leg. Apparently a double break, all the players on the field visibly upset.
nil satis nisi optimum