Websites

Started by Zulu, December 31, 2008, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Lads I was wondering if anyone could tell me how websites make money if they don't sell anything or ask for a memebership fee to join? I have been doing a bit of web surfing and some sites ask for nothing but provide a lot of information and other stuff. Surely these sites make money for the people who set them up but I don't see how, I'd appreciate any information posters involved in the computer industry can furnish as it is something I want to look into.

Pangurban

They do not make any Money, unless and until they can generate enough hits to make it worth some businesses time to place an Ad. on their site. They can then charge for advertising. The returns from this would be very limited. Most of the sites of the kind you refer too, are run by enthusiasts who do it as a hobby

DrinkingHarp

Some actually sell your info to certain companies when you register for their sites.

EX: sign up for a GAA ;) site and they sell your email to a company that sells footwear, sports supplies or even memorabilia.

NOTE----I have not received anything from signing up to this board
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Zulu

Hardy

Google Ads, They get paid every time someone clicks on a Google ad on their site. Also referrals - if they direct you to a commercial site and you buy something there, they get a referral fee.

Orior

Shop windows dont make money, but they are a vital part of luring in dump sheep like me who then get fleeced.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians