Adultery is not "ok"!

Started by Aerlik, December 17, 2008, 10:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Korean adultery actress sentenced 

Ms Ok apologised for stirring up a controversy
One of South Korea's best-known actresses, Ok So-ri, has been given a suspended prison sentence of eight months for adultery.

She admitted the offence and the court suspended the sentence for two years.

The trial took place after Ms Ok failed to get the constitutional court to overturn the strict law that makes adultery a criminal offence.

In her petition she said the law was an infringement of human rights and amounted to revenge.

According to the BBC correspondent in Seoul, John Sudworth, the scandal has kept South Korea's tabloid newspapers and internet chatrooms buzzing for months.

'Damaging to social order'

South Korea is one of the few remaining non-Muslim countries where adultery remains a criminal offence.

A person found guilty of adultery can be jailed for up to two years.

Ms Ok failed to get the Constitutional Court to overturn the law
More than 1,000 people are charged each year, although, as in this case, very few are actually sent to jail.

The law has been challenged four times, but the country's top judges have always ruled that adultery is damaging to social order, and the offence should therefore remain a crime.

In this case, Ms Ok was sued by her former husband, Park Chul.

She admitted having an affair with a well-known pop singer, and blamed it on a loveless marriage to Mr Park.

The 40-year-old actress sought to have the adultery ban ruled an inconstitutional invasion of privacy, and in a petition to the Constitutional Court, her lawyers claimed the law had "degenerated into a means of revenge by the spouse, rather than a means of saving a marriage".

But the adultery ban was upheld, and judges in Seoul have now given her an eight-month suspended sentence, and her lover a six-month suspended term.

"I would like to say I'm sorry for stirring up such a controversy," Ms Ok said after the court judgement.

According to a survey carried out last year, nearly 68% of South Korean men and 12% of women confess to having sex outside marriage.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

5 Sams

If it was a crime in Ireland you'd have to turn Croker into a jail. :-\
The Aristocrat Years

illdecide

She should have got the Electric chair for that...Women... >:(
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 17, 2008, 10:49:05 AM

It wouldn't be big enough !!  ;D ;D

Croí na hÉireann

That 12% must really love spreading it around...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

orangeman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 17, 2008, 11:54:45 AM
That 12% must really love spreading it around...

Do you mean literally ?  ;)

Orior

79% of men commit adultery in America.

The other 21% do it in Europe.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

carribbear

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 17, 2008, 10:49:05 AM

Only while Landsdowne Road is being built....and even at that I am displeased at the stadium being made available for that type of sport.

armaghniac

They should tax fornication as a way of raising much needed funds during the present economic difficulties.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on December 17, 2008, 01:14:06 PM
They should tax fornication as a way of raising much needed funds during the present economic difficulties.

Piss off. It's stressing enough having to sneak around and cover my tracks.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

kickingmule

Quote from: Orior on December 17, 2008, 01:17:31 PM

Piss off. It's stressing enough having to sneak around and cover my tracks.
Jayas you're right Orior, ..... its a fecking pain! :-X

Hardy

I thought they did that already? I hear lads complaining all the time about f***ing tax.

orangeman

This is shocking - she gets stoned to death and only gets a 100 lashes ??

God help us all if these people get to take over the world !

Somali woman stoned for adultery 

A 20-year-old woman divorcee accused of committing adultery in Somalia has been stoned to death by Islamists in front of a crowd of about 200 people.

A judge working for the militant group al-Shabab said she had had an affair with an unmarried 29-year-old man.

He said she gave birth to a still-born baby and was found guilty of adultery. Her boyfriend was given 100 lashes

It is thought to be the second time a woman has been stoned to death for adultery by al-Shabab.

The group controls large swathes of southern Somalia where they have imposed a strict interpretation of Islamic law which has been unpopular with many Somalis.

'Lenient'

According to reports from a small village near the town of Wajid, 250 miles (400km) north-west of the capital, Mogadishu, the woman was taken to the public grounds where she was buried up to her waist.

The Islamists want to impose a strict version of Sharia on Somalia
She was then stoned to death in front of the crowds on Tuesday afternoon.

The judge, Sheikh Ibrahim Abdirahman, said her unmarried boyfriend was given 100 lashes at the same venue.

Under al-Shabab's interpretation of Sharia law, anyone who has ever been married - even a divorcee - who has an affair is liable to be found guilty of adultery, punishable by stoning to death.

An unmarried person who has sex before marriage is liable to be given 100 lashes.

BBC East Africa correspondent Will Ross says the stoning is at least the fourth for adultery in Somalia over the last year.

Earlier this month, a man was stoned to death for adultery in the port town of Merka, south of Mogadishu.

His pregnant girlfriend was spared, until she gives birth.

Last month, two men were stoned to death in Merka after being accused of spying.

President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, a moderate Islamist, was sworn in as president after UN-brokered peace talks in January.

Although he says he also wants to implement Sharia, al-Shabab says his version of Islamic law would be too lenient.

The country has not had a functioning national government for 18 years.

Lazer

Quote from: orangeman on November 18, 2009, 01:02:49 PM
This is shocking - she gets stoned to death and only gets a 100 lashes ??

Thats not about inequality between the punishments for the man and the woman

Quote from: orangeman on November 18, 2009, 01:02:49 PM

Under al-Shabab's interpretation of Sharia law, anyone who has ever been married - even a divorcee - who has an affair is liable to be found guilty of adultery, punishable by stoning to death.

An unmarried person who has sex before marriage is liable to be given 100 lashes.

Its about punishment for the crime
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

theskull1

Thats fair enough then

At least there's sexual equality in their justice sytem which has to be applauded. These things get lost in the story don't they  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera