No
37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

Jinxy

'PR catastrophe' is hyperbole.
Now that the venom has been taken out of the conversation, the only people who will bear a grudge about this going forward are the people who had a grudge before this ever even happened.
And, if it turns out to be a catalyst for change at the next Congress, it will have done the association some service.
All the GAA-related social media chatter today is about how,
a) 'The hurling at the weekend was unbelievable',
and,
b) 'I can't get tickets for Thurles, the GAA are a shambles/disgrace'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

As I said this going ahead has ruined a lot of people's "outrage".,
Including 3 here.
How many of those outraged  will buy a ticket or make a contribution?
Will Ross or Martin or Griffin?
As J says most talk in GAA circles is now about the hurley and 3 of next weekends football matches.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2018, 02:48:03 PM
Including 3 here.
As J says most talk in GAA circles is now about the hurley and 3 of next weekends football matches.

Most of the talk the week before the AISFs was about how the GAA were gobshites. If you think that was a success you are as daft as usual. It sounds like yesterday's game underwhelmed in terms of attendance too. Telling.

Franko

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2018, 02:54:59 PM
Including 3 here.

Most of the talk the week before the AISFs was about how the GAA were gobshites. If you think that was a success you are as daft as usual. It sounds like yesterday's game underwhelmed in terms of attendance too. Telling.

No it didn't.  WUM fail.

From the Bunker

There was no bad PR! The GAA went against it's rules for the game to happen. If anything it shows that the GAA are becoming more adaptable.

As a person who has as much vested in Soccer as Gaelic football/Hurling at underage. It makes me happy to see old boundaries gradually vanish.

My kids wear Irish Soccer Shirts to Gaelic training and Mayo Jerseys to soccer training! Why? Because they don't see any divide. They just see the game and the connection!

Well done to the GAA again. It's not easy going against old, ingrained values. (I know because i have plenty of old ingrained values).

This is not the end. It's the beginning. There will be similar situations down the road. So the GAA need to get their house in order to deal with this coming down the road. And it will come again because of opening this can of worms. With careful consideration money is there to be made wisely.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 02:31:04 PM
I think this is a pretty unique case.
To take the example of the soccer team wanting to use a GAA stadium with a bigger capacity for a competitive game, it wouldn't have anything like the groundswell of support that the Miller charity game has had, and could be easily shot down if necessary.

Who would shoot it down?

If the county board decided to - do you think the social media warriors would wade in supporting the U-14s whose final was that night?

Cancer is in the news every day of the week, so when you refuse access to a stadium for a fundraising game on the basis that 'rules is rules', you're pulling in a massive constituency that has no real interest in sport, but cannot understand why everything is not being done to support a charity game for a young husband and father who died of cancer.

But rules *are* rules - the most recent query on this rule would have been Clare's motion on opening up grounds that were not Croke Park. Defeated by approx 77% to 23%.

The best ad-hoc the GAA could have done would have been a telephone vote of county delegates on a one-off opening of PUC for this game.

As I have said before, congress should separate Croke Park, PUC and a stadium in each of Connacht and Ulster, from the rest of the GAA grounds in the official guide.
Let them run any event they see fit.
If Munster need more capacity for a big European game, let them use PUC.
If Connacht need more capacity, let them use Pearse stadium.
The reality is that there are not a massive amount of big sporting events that would be able to make use of the additional capacity, outside of European Cup rugby games.

That suggestion makes sense. However, to take this case, would PUC have been the designated Munster stadium? Or would it have been Semple Stadium?
i usse an speelchekor

Syferus

Quote from: Franko on July 30, 2018, 02:57:18 PM
Including 3 here.

No it didn't.  WUM fail.

Someone wasn't listening to the commentary.. too quick on the trigger and you've managed to embarrass yourself again. I usually leave you on ignore but this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Jinxy

PUC would definitely be the designated stadium for Munster.
a) Location makes sense for rugby (core support is Limerick/Cork),
b) It has to be paid for,
c) No foreign game savages are getting anywhere near Semple Stadium.  :)

larryin89

I'm sound with the one off game going ahead ,no bother .

But I find it bizzare that there is a feeling in here of a want of a free for all . GAA needs to promote GAA not f**king helping rival organisations at every turn. Absolute freaks some of ye.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2018, 03:17:15 PM
Including 3 here.

No it didn't.  WUM fail.

Someone wasn't listening to the commentary.. too quick on the trigger and you've managed to embarrass yourself again. I usually leave you on ignore but this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

What was underwhelming in terms of attendance yesterday? It was over 70,000 I think? That's very healthy for a semi final.

Franko

Including 3 here.

No it didn't.  WUM fail.

Repeating your mistake and throwing in an attack on me doesn't undo it.  If you'd like to post some evidence of your assertion, I'll consider it - but you won't and hence, will continue to be wrong.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 03:07:42 PM
To take the example of the soccer team wanting to use a GAA stadium with a bigger capacity for a competitive game, it wouldn't have anything like the groundswell of support that the Miller charity game has had, and could be easily shot down if necessary.

Who would shoot it down?

If the county board decided to - do you think the social media warriors would wade in supporting the U-14s whose final was that night?

Cancer is in the news every day of the week, so when you refuse access to a stadium for a fundraising game on the basis that 'rules is rules', you're pulling in a massive constituency that has no real interest in sport, but cannot understand why everything is not being done to support a charity game for a young husband and father who died of cancer.

But rules *are* rules - the most recent query on this rule would have been Clare's motion on opening up grounds that were not Croke Park. Defeated by approx 77% to 23%.

The best ad-hoc the GAA could have done would have been a telephone vote of county delegates on a one-off opening of PUC for this game.

As I have said before, congress should separate Croke Park, PUC and a stadium in each of Connacht and Ulster, from the rest of the GAA grounds in the official guide.
Let them run any event they see fit.
If Munster need more capacity for a big European game, let them use PUC.
If Connacht need more capacity, let them use Pearse stadium.
The reality is that there are not a massive amount of big sporting events that would be able to make use of the additional capacity, outside of European Cup rugby games.

That suggestion makes sense. However, to take this case, would PUC have been the designated Munster stadium? Or would it have been Semple Stadium?
What about the rules the GAA agreed with the EU over the funding? You seem to have avoided that

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on July 30, 2018, 02:32:35 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 30, 2018, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 30, 2018, 12:56:13 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 28, 2018, 11:55:19 PM
Quote from: currychip on July 28, 2018, 10:08:11 PM
Which full time officials were incompetent?
Exactly.
It must irritate a lot of critics that the GAA Hierarchy and the Liam Miller Committee sorted things out quietly and amicably in a dignified manner.
Amicible and dignified? Seriously?
The whole thing has been a PR catastrophe for the GAA.

Whilst I don't think you are wrong, what impact going forward will this PR disaster have on the GAA?

Will sponsors pull out?
Will the attendances drop?
Unlikely, not to any significant degree and propably not lot.  Its more ammo for the usuals.

However the political side has been damaged. Funding model may change and not to the GAA's benefit.

Breheney in the Indo going on a ludicrious rampage against the state hasn't helped either.

Jinxy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 03:07:42 PM

Who would shoot it down?

People weren't outraged about the Liam Miller game because they are such huge soccer fans.
If it was just soccer fans, we wouldn't be where we are now.
Look at the example below, which is pretty much the scenario you are describing.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/serious-gaa-and-soccer-fall-out-up-north-as-derry-city-are-sent-to-donegal-105692
Plenty of anger on social media, but because it is predominantly coming from Derry City fans, it's not a big story.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2018, 03:36:01 PM
Including 3 here.

No it didn't.  WUM fail.

What was underwhelming in terms of attendance yesterday? It was over 70,000 I think? That's very healthy for a semi final.

The forecasts where higher, AZ. A Dublin AISF could grab 70,000 and still be underwhelming - it's less about the gross and more about what is expected. The fact Cork was one of the two teams involved yesterday should not be ignored either.