FYI - the number e

Started by Orior, July 25, 2007, 10:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

The mathematical constant e is the unique real number such that the value of the derivative (slope of the tangent line) of f(x) = ex at the point x = 0 is exactly 1. The function ex so defined is called the exponential function, and its inverse is the natural logarithm, or logarithm to base e.

The number e is one of the most important in mathematics alongside the additive and multiplicative identities 0 and 1, the imaginary unit i, and π, the circumference to diameter ratio for any circle in a plane. It has a number of equivalent definitions; some of them are given below.

The number e is occasionally called Euler's number after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler, or Napier's constant in honor of the Scottish mathematician John Napier who introduced logarithms. (e is not to be confused with γ – the Euler–Mascheroni constant, sometimes called simply Euler's constant.)

Since e is transcendental, and therefore irrational, its value cannot be given exactly as a finite or eventually repeating decimal. The numerical value of e truncated to 20 decimal places is:

2.71828 18284 59045 23536...
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Thanks for clearing that up
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Orior on July 25, 2007, 10:55:50 PM
The mathematical constant e is the unique real number such that the value of the derivative (slope of the tangent line) of f(x) = ex at the point x = 0 is exactly 1. The function ex so defined is called the exponential function, and its inverse is the natural logarithm, or logarithm to base e.

The number e is one of the most important in mathematics alongside the additive and multiplicative identities 0 and 1, the imaginary unit i, and π, the circumference to diameter ratio for any circle in a plane. It has a number of equivalent definitions; some of them are given below.

The number e is occasionally called Euler's number after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler, or Napier's constant in honor of the Scottish mathematician John Napier who introduced logarithms. (e is not to be confused with γ – the Euler–Mascheroni constant, sometimes called simply Euler's constant.)

Since e is transcendental, and therefore irrational, its value cannot be given exactly as a finite or eventually repeating decimal. The numerical value of e truncated to 20 decimal places is:

2.71828 18284 59045 23536...

Tell me something i don't know already ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Orior

Quote from: Orior on July 25, 2007, 10:55:50 PM
Since e is transcendental, and therefore irrational, its value cannot be given exactly as a finite or eventually repeating decimal.

Sorry guys, I should have said, its that bit above that cracks me up everytime.

PS. I used to have a girlfriend that was transcendental once a month.

ziggysego

You're a geek..... aren't you Orior?  :D
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Quote from: ziggysego on July 25, 2007, 11:09:56 PM

Yeap, grade 2 actually. I'm aiming to be grade 3 by next year (and get my golf handicap down too). Sure what the feck else is there to do when Armagh are out of the All-Ireland?

ziggysego

Quote from: Orior on July 25, 2007, 11:12:32 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 25, 2007, 11:09:56 PM

Yeap, grade 2 actually. I'm aiming to be grade 3 by next year (and get my golf handicap down too). Sure what the feck else is there to do when Armagh are out of the All-Ireland?

Well last year, I was at a lost of things to do.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Quote from: hardstation on July 25, 2007, 11:26:14 PM
All the maths symbols (or whatever you call them) were at a party. 'Cos x' noticed that 'e to the x' (e to the par of x) was standing on his own. So he and 'Tan x' went over and asked 'e to the x' to join them for a drink.
'e to the x' replied, "No, I don't integrate'.
I'll get my coat.....

Geek alert!!!!

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Orior

Only if their handicap is in the high teens :(

Six is fecking good.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Orior on July 25, 2007, 11:47:13 PM
Only if their handicap is in the high teens :(

Six is fecking good.

Im a geek so  :-[
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on July 25, 2007, 11:52:41 PM
Well when I wore my checked trousers, polo shirt and sweater to school on non- uniform day, I got a lot of abuse. Geek being one word used.
And my chat up line is "Nice eyes" as you already know LL.

He turned me down.

And mine is "Do i know you from somewhere" as you know Hardstation

He also turned me down
You'll Never Walk Alone.