Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonAndWhite

Quiet confidence in the Gap & Joyners DuineEile.....the usual, ya know.......everyone is shite til they win and then theyre the best footballers in the county! Sure you'd have to be hopeful given half them are pucking the heads off each other up by the sea and the other half have the shites  ;D It might be the one favour crypto sporidium did Galway!!!
Id say Frank will take a stab at holding the other jobs too......you'd bet your life he wouldnt take a penny less that the bould Paidi either!!

orangeman

orangeman

Owenmoresider

There were no football games til today, i.e. on now. Patience is a virtue etc. Castlegar and Portumna into the hurling semi's.

orangeman

Owenmoresider

Killererin 1-7 Salthill-Knocknacarra 0-6. FT.

Owenmoresider

Athenry knocked out Loughrea 0-11 to 0-8. Pity, a rematch with Portumna would have been, erm, interesting. Kinvara in the semis too.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway SFC semi-finals

Killererin v NUIG
Caltra v Milltown

Duine Eile

Killererin 1-07 0-06 Salthill Knocknacarra

Not a great game played in dire conditions but a brilliant win all the same!More details tomorrow.

Semi finals to be played next Sunday in Tuam,

Killererin v NUIG  2.30

Caltra v Milltown 4.00

MaroonAndWhite

Great win for Killererin. Shocking evening for football but Killererin adapted better to the conditions. Thought Padraig Joyce was a class apart yesterday, cute as a fox........won some very important frees and when a calm head when necessary. Tom "the Bomb" was very good too......in fact the whole backline limited the "superstar" Salthill forward line to one goal chance. I though that Killererin were in trouble with only five points on the board at half time with a gale behind them but the backs holding Salthill scoreless in the first half was a massive boost.
Now, if only Nicky would stop acting like a Salthill "superstar".....................
NUIG now, God knows what that will bring. They could be awesome or they could be dire. Dangerous game though.
Anyone else fancy the Scans to beat Caltra?

Duine Eile

Brilliant win for our lads. ;D Has to be said Salthill were brutal though. Didn't score a single point until the 38th minute. Dead right MAndW, Padraic gave a real exhibition yesterday, didn't have a great game the first day out but more than made up for it yesterday. The way he robbed Mikey Donnellan of that ball was something else. Nicky had a strange kind of a game really, he saw plenty of ball but didn't do a whole lot with it, he tended to take too much out of it and wasted it a lot of times, not like him really. Solid enough team performance which was pleasing. Alan Keane dealt with most things that came his way with confidence, slipped with a kick out which led to a S/K point but it was forgivable in the conditions, you wouldn't put the dog out in that rain.Back line were brilliant, Tommy Joyce is like a new player this year, my man of the match yesterday, Mike Mitchell was good, made some brilliant interventions, Declan Kelly dealt well with Armstrong, he was virtually anonymous. Half back line were brilliant, all 3 of them, Tom Flynn, Damien FLa and Ian R were excellent throughout. Micheal Keane and Tom Hughes lorded it at mid field and should be something for Liam Sammon to look at in the coming months, they've been our most consistent performers all year. Young Keane would want to watch himself though, goes in a bit hard at times! Half forward line was alright, James Hughes played fairly well, Jonny Keane and Nicky can and hopefully will play better next weekend. Shane Hughes at 13 was good and did brilliantly to get that goal after his initial attempt was stopped. Padraic was his brilliant best, form is temporary class is permanent after all, Tomas Fahy did ok, played well for a man after a week of celebrations. Tommie Wilson did well after he came on, he's some man to be able to bring on really, well into his 30s and always makes a difference. Young David Raftery did well for his first experience of senior championship.

Next Sunday we're kind of stepping into the unknown, would I be right in saying Fiachra Breathnach, Gareth Bradshaw, Alan Glynn (all Galway panelists) could be on the college team?Any big names on the team this year? To be honest I think we'll win, the spirit and never say die attitude of this Killererin team is something to be reckoned with and I think it could carry them through. After all, they're playing for pride of their parish, for their families and their friends and neighbours, who are NUIG representing? Don't agree with colleges competing in county club championships to be honest.

As for Milltown Caltra.....anything is possible!Milltown beat a fancied Corofin team so who knows. Could be a right hum dinger. Anybody hear of the supposed bust up after Milltown's league game with Tuam over the weekend?

MaroonAndWhite

Yeah, NUIG are a step into the unknown and I think theyre dangerous. They have a lot of better intermediate players in Galway..........Breathnach, Bradshaw, Gottsche and the odd handy blow in like Ronaldson from Shrule  ::). Ya wouldnt know what theyd do.....alot depends on the quality of CP's on Thursday/Saturday night!!!!!!! Id fancy us to take them though......these lads wont go down without a serious fight. I was talking to a Caltra man at the minor final and they said they hoped for a Killererin win against Salthill because they seem to have the hex on us in the championship..........Id love for us to get the chance to put one over on them. Sound bunch the Caltra lads but wouldnt want them thinking like that now would we  ;)
Heard nothing about a Milltown blow-up but jesus, wouldnt it be just typical in a year when they look so good and are in with a serious chance for the Frank Fox for them to lose the plot. If they in decent form, I think they have enough good backs to limit Meehan, Killilea and Co........I expect a very good game though, roll on Sunday

mouview

Normally I'd fear for Killererin against a useful NUIG side who've been putting up some big scores to date; however the Barna' lads are the essence of a team. Take the 3 J's out of there and, on paper, they wouldn't have names that would frighten any opposition. But, like the current Cork hurling team, they are much greater than the sum of their parts and are damned hard to beat. I do think they will be examined (no pun intended) against the students greatly on Sunday. (I backed Killererin at 12/1 at year start so I'm still alive int hat one). For the other semi', I'd favour Milltown who have a fair bit of steam built up this year over a Caltra team in slow decline. (Apparently the Milltown pot boiled over in the league game v Tuam at the weekend where several prominent Milltown mentors, unsure if players were involved, got stuck in to the referee, to say the least. More anon)

In the Inter' c'ship a solid Moycullen side easily progressed to the final with a handy win against a weak Carna team. (How did they reach the co. senior final  2 years ago?) They have a wait to see who their opposition will be; Monivea/Abbey have to replay v Lettermore Saturday evening to see who will play Oughterard in the other semi'. Will Gareth Bradshaw of Moycullen and NUIG win Senior and Inter' medals in the same year?

In the small ball sector, wins for an improving Castlegar over declining Gort, Portumna in 3rd gear over a middling Clarinbridge, Athenry over reigning champs Loughrea (no great surprise - Loughrea, like Corofin footballers,  were always a team who struggled for scores), and a useful Kinvara side over Mullagh who could have been tired after their trip to Tipp. Kilconeiron have been relegated. Draws for the hurling semis' on tonight. Port' are still the team to beat followed by Kinvara, Cashel' and Athenry in that order IMHO.

Duine Eile

Quote from: mouview on September 25, 2007, 04:30:51 PMTake the 3 J's out of there and, on paper, they wouldn't have names that would frighten any opposition.

I would have agreed with that a few months back mouview but apart from Tommy, Padraic and Nicky haven't really sparked in this year's championship, its the strength of our midfield and back line that have gotten us this far, Padraic was back to his best last Sunday and hopefully it'll be Nicky's turn this Sunday. It's all coming together nicely now, just hope they keep the heads right for the game on Sunday. Hopefully Declan Kelly will be alright for Sunday, he's been playing brilliantly this year. I think we'll do it, have a feeling it'll be a Killererin Caltra final again this year, hopefully with a different result this time round! We owe them a beating after the final of 03 and last year when Kinneavy gave a 45 that wasn't a 45 at all which resulted in Caltra levelling. But I'm not at all bitter. ;D

Think Caltra will beat Milltown, it won't be all one way but Caltra have more up front than Milltown and that should carry them through. About the row at the Tuam match, supposedly (not naming names here) but the one that wears the togs and jumps, roars and generally hurls abuse at all and sundry on the field had a bit of a barney with the referee. I heard some supporters got involved also but most of it is hear say so don't know how true any of it is.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway SHC semi-finals

Athenry v Portumna
Castlegar v Kinvara