Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Who are the top 2 on the county and what is that assessment based on ?

Smurfy123

Top 6

1- Kilcoo
2 CPN
3 Burren
4 Clonduff
5 Mayobridge
6 Ballyholland

Wobbler you talk a lot of sense
A great read and I fully agree

Magil and Cunningham  in with JMC in Burren from what I hear?

All outsiders you would need to get some Burren men on the ticket

whitegoodman

Why are CPN at 2 ? What is that based on ? 1 championship final ?

Wouldn't believe all the rumours u hear otherwise Oisin would still be rocking up in Burren this wk ?

Godsown

Quote from: whitegoodman on November 03, 2020, 09:02:32 PM
Why are CPN at 2 ? What is that based on ? 1 championship final ?

Think it's also based on Set Dancing and recitation achievements as well. Just not sure about Ballad group

DuffleKing

Johnnysboys

Quote from: whitegoodman on November 03, 2020, 08:51:42 PM
Who are the top 2 on the county and what is that assessment based on ?

Best two in county are kilcoo for obvious reasons and CPN.. CPN got to a final last year Burren got beat in 1/4 finals and they got to semi final this year whereas burren got to last 16.  The only team to beat CPN in cship in two years is kilcoo (2) whereas burren have been beaten by kilcoo (2), CPN and Mayobridge in last two seasons.. So it makes sense Burren have slipped down the order to 3.. There are others catching them too such as Clonduff, Ballyholland and Carryduff.  So they need to make sure Jim has his ducks in a row or they could end up worse off next season...

OgraAnDun

I'd say Burren are quaking in their boots over Ballyholland and Clonduff alright.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 04, 2020, 04:54:08 PM
I'd say Burren are quaking in their boots over Ballyholland and Clonduff alright.

Well maybe they should be.. they haven't beaten them (Ballyholland) by much in the leagues lately and indeed have succumbed to them on a few occasions. Last game of last year being a good example where Ballyholland tore them apart on the scoreboard to save their division one status. The good Ballyholland minor team also hammered burren in the county final a few years ago so they hold no fear of them. Clonduff are a strange club and when they get their act together as seen in some games this year are a real threat but other times they look very ordinary (Bryansford in championship).. the players they can field and the physicality they being surely they are in the top 5 of the county??

Johnnysboys

Team named.. will they line out in the positions stated??

Smurfy123

That team will not start
Unless some players have improved since the club championship
No McAleenan Quinn or Kerr?
I would expect all 3 to start with McKernan Poland and Laverty  to miss out
A strange team selection

Mourne Rover

Late changes are always possible but Tally does not usually name fake teams. There will probably be some positional switches, with Poland and Doherty operating around midfield, Flynn dropping back and McKernan at sweeper. However, throwing Kerr and Quinn in after the break when the game opens up is not a bad plan.

DuffGael

Whatever the team I think we can beat Fermanagh,  then there is Cavan who are not world beaters.  Let's get behind them.. Down Abu

Sandstorm

When intercounty football returned, Down had 2 potentially competitive games to prepare for the championship. Leitrim pulled out of the first one so nothing could be done about that. Down then played a second string team against Louth meaning the team that take on Fermanagh today have  not had a competitive game. I hope I am wrong but I hope the decision not to play the championship team against Louth does not come back to bite them!

SHEEDY

Very good 2nd half secured a comfortable win. Barry deserved motm, some brillant long range points. Thought Daniel guinness, Pierce laverty and Peter fegan had good games as well. Caolan mooney and Donal also showed up well and showed good leadership. Good options off the bench led to an easy enough win in the end.
nil satis nisi optimum

Johnnysboys

My god can we please get off this Branagan bandwagon.. even the commentators talked about it.. Aidan is nearly 37, Niall is 33, Aaron is 30, Daryl and Eugene are a hood age to play inter county football but that's it.. plus Doherty loses his first 4 balls in the tackle today and PD fails to shine yet again for county - let's be honest kilcoo have Ryan and Jerome ready for first team and Ryan McEvoy with bit of league football next year could step up - I doubt Sheelan will - I remember him with minors few years back - beat Armagh on his own in extra time but other games - attitude was poor..
Big Murdock was solid in full back ably supported by Peter Fegan, McKernan looks rusty - can't understand teams allowing him to be sweeper!! OHagan was very good, O'Hare will be disappointed with being taken off and Jerome in flashes showed what he is capable off..
subs RJ and Cory Quinn kicked good scores. Bench will be important next weekend v Cavan