Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: smelmoth on August 24, 2020, 10:41:02 PM
Inevitably Joe will say something stupid after a while but he will throw a few gems in along the way.

He at least is prepared to verbalise his thoughts. If a player or manager is behaving like a sc**bag they deserve to be called a sc**bag. Maybe Joe's presence will trigger the others to be a bit more honest and forthright

He also fabricates stories about players, managers and individuals to exercise personal grievances and uses his role as a pundit or columnist to do so, which is very nasty and cowardly in itself.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

BennyCake

Quote from: Angelo on August 24, 2020, 10:44:36 PM
Inevitably Joe will say something stupid after a while but he will throw a few gems in along the way.

He at least is prepared to verbalise his thoughts. If a player or manager is behaving like a sc**bag they deserve to be called a sc**bag. Maybe Joe's presence will trigger the others to be a bit more honest and forthright

He also fabricates stories about players, managers and individuals to exercise personal grievances and uses his role as a pundit or columnist to do so, which is very nasty and cowardly in itself.

Yes, read Joe Cassidys interview in GL. Cassidy said Brolly dropped him in it at training once, saying him and others were complaining about the training, when they'd said nothing of the sort. He was clearly up to fabricating lies in his playing career too. He's a narcissist and a shit stirrer.

marty34

I just think 2 is enough as three, regardless of who it is, just tends to develop into a 'speed dating' thing of who can say their piece in 30 seconds and it then goes off in a tangent.

With two, they have more time to develop points and explain them etc. and it's not as forced in the time frame.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyCake on August 24, 2020, 10:50:08 PM
Quote from: Angelo on August 24, 2020, 10:44:36 PM

Yes, read Joe Cassidys interview in GL. Cassidy said Brolly dropped him in it at training once, saying him and others were complaining about the training, when they'd said nothing of the sort. He was clearly up to fabricating lies in his playing career too. He's a narcissist and a shit stirrer.

Ah he's a great man for the, "and I was talking to a player of theirs recently and he told me..."

He's not a bad soul but he tends to flirt between reality and fiction with alarming ease. Suppose if you do it during the day.... Its easier at night.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on August 24, 2020, 08:30:51 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on August 24, 2020, 06:22:29 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 24, 2020, 04:50:15 PM
That's BBCNI's coverage fecked then.

Oisin and Marty Clarke are very good pundits and very easy to listen to. All we need now is thon bollix in to feckin' ruin it.
Would agree Oisín and Marty both top drawer, Joe would need to be on his game to
Match them in terms of knowledge of the modern game.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about Brolly's knowledge of the modern game. I just don't want to see him or listen to him. Especially on a show that already has two very good pundits. He'll take over the show and make it all about him.
I've been watching Oisin in his role as manager of Inniskeen (v Ballybay), he's a man on fire constantly, sidelines don't exist in Oisin's world.
Do you think he would allow Brolly to make it all about him?
I agree though, the balance was already perfect at BBC NI with the triangle of cheerful chappy presenter Sidebottom, Oisin and Marty

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on August 28, 2020, 10:03:07 PM

Oisin and Marty Clarke are very good pundits and very easy to listen to. All we need now is thon bollix in to feckin' ruin it.
Would agree Oisín and Marty both top drawer, Joe would need to be on his game to

To be honest, I couldn't care less about Brolly's knowledge of the modern game. I just don't want to see him or listen to him. Especially on a show that already has two very good pundits. He'll take over the show and make it all about him.
I've been watching Oisin in his role as manager of Inniskeen (v Ballybay), he's a man on fire constantly, sidelines don't exist in Oisin's world.
I agree though, the balance was already perfect at BBC NI with the triangle of cheerful chappy presenter Sidebottom, Oisin and Marty

I've seen many pundits on TSG interrupted, flustered, lose concentration when Brolly is chirping in their ear, while they try to analyse or speak their opinion. A few has resorted to telling Brolly to more or less shut up. There's only so much a pundit can do on screen when faced with an ignoramus like Brolly. He's just an ignorant hoor. Putting his hands across people, talking over them and telling everyone about his ideas for new rules/championship format etc. It becomes all about him.

Oisin and Marty Clarke give each other the time and have manners to listen when the other is speaking. They both put their points across very well, and are very informative. There is no egos. I enjoy listening to them, and Sidey keeps the talk and banter going.

If the BBC take thon Brolly bollix into the show, they will absolutely ruin it.

imtommygunn

His best move is to put his hand on their arm when they want to speak to try and trick them into shutting up. It really changes everything for other pundits who have to nearly shout to be heard.

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 29, 2020, 10:15:43 AM
His best move is to put his hand on their arm when they want to speak to try and trick them into shutting up. It really changes everything for other pundits who have to nearly shout to be heard.

The tv studio is just another courtroom for him.

imtommygunn

Yeah I think that is pretty much it.

From the Bunker

Bad news is he will get more air time as there is no ad break.  :-[

marty34

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 29, 2020, 01:16:18 PM
Bad news is he will get more air time as there is no ad break.  :-[

I think that's when they go down to the on-field analyst, taking on the side-line for 2 mins...hopefully.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: BennyCake on August 28, 2020, 11:56:19 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 28, 2020, 10:03:07 PM

I've seen many pundits on TSG interrupted, flustered, lose concentration when Brolly is chirping in their ear, while they try to analyse or speak their opinion. A few has resorted to telling Brolly to more or less shut up. There's only so much a pundit can do on screen when faced with an ignoramus like Brolly. He's just an ignorant hoor. Putting his hands across people, talking over them and telling everyone about his ideas for new rules/championship format etc. It becomes all about him.

Oisin and Marty Clarke give each other the time and have manners to listen when the other is speaking. They both put their points across very well, and are very informative. There is no egos. I enjoy listening to them, and Sidey keeps the talk and banter going.

If the BBC take thon Brolly bollix into the show, they will absolutely ruin it.

Agree with everything you've said there. Pat Spillane put his hand on Joe's leg, as you would to shut the hoor up and try to get a point across and Joe took a strop asking Pat to 'stop touching me'. He had no authority to speak about touching people. I watched a few matches on BBC and I found McConville in particular to be a very good analyst when he was on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Main Street

I think Oisin could be at the top of the queue to succeed Banty, if he had that ambition.

That is, after shooting Banty first.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2020, 10:13:38 AM
Speculation linking Joe Brolly with Sinn Féin candidacy in Mayo

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2020/11/22/speculation-linking-joe-brolly-with-sinn-fein-candidacy-in-mayo/

Hardly have the time, running between 2 houses, barrister, Twitter, TV and getting pished