Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 04, 2014, 12:43:36 PM

They have contributors with reasoned and analytical opinions on the game. RTE serve up dirge. Pre ordained and inevitable market share is not any commentary on quality

RTE/TG4 have the best pundits on the telly if only they would use them more. Unashamed to say they are both from West Kerry.
The Aristocrat Years

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 11, 2014, 12:20:17 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on September 04, 2014, 12:43:36 PM

They have contributors with reasoned and analytical opinions on the game. RTE serve up dirge. Pre ordained and inevitable market share is not any commentary on quality

RTE/TG4 have the best pundits on the telly if only they would use them more. Unashamed to say they are both from West Kerry.

You always were a cut above 5Sams.  ;D
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

BennyHarp

Quote from: J OGorman on September 04, 2014, 10:59:42 AM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on September 03, 2014, 10:31:00 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 31, 2014, 02:24:48 PM
Repeating a "joke" he used on Twitter earlier in the week

brollly is getting a little bit out of date...the format of that show, bar the soundtrack, will have to change for next year, given what sky are at...maybe its time joe took time out

what are Sky at apart from moving the TV3 show to a platform with less people who provide the games being able to watch? RTE could mimic Sky OK and employ Keith Woods and Rosanna Davidson to front the show. Oh, and buy a big wall mounted tablet as a display....WHAMMY !

Yes that would be an improvement. They could also get main pundits who know about modern tactics and who aren't purely there to cause controversy and big up their own profile.
That was never a square ball!!

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 11, 2014, 07:05:05 AM

brollly is getting a little bit out of date...the format of that show, bar the soundtrack, will have to change for next year, given what sky are at...maybe its time joe took time out

what are Sky at apart from moving the TV3 show to a platform with less people who provide the games being able to watch? RTE could mimic Sky OK and employ Keith Woods and Rosanna Davidson to front the show. Oh, and buy a big wall mounted tablet as a display....WHAMMY !

Yes that would be an improvement. They could also get main pundits who know about modern tactics and who aren't purely there to cause controversy and big up their own profile.

Only paid passing attention to Sky coverage, but it's a fairly TV3-esque effort alright. Brian Carney discussing tactics and Rachel having no clue about the games make a slight farce of it. Paul Earley is from the Tommy Carr school of co-commentary also.
Still bugs me less than RTE giving airtime to clueless numptys like McHugh, O'Hara, Carney, Carr and sadly Spillane has to be included also. I mean Carney seems to be their go-to man as Co-commentator and he can't control his own emotions for a start when Mayo or Donegal are playing..it's embarrassing.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on September 11, 2014, 09:01:35 AM

Only paid passing attention to Sky coverage, but it's a fairly TV3-esque effort alright. Brian Carney discussing tactics and Rachel having no clue about the games make a slight farce of it. Paul Earley is from the Tommy Carr school of co-commentary also.
Still bugs me less than RTE giving airtime to clueless numptys like McHugh, O'Hara, Carney, Carr and sadly Spillane has to be included also. I mean Carney seems to be their go-to man as Co-commentator and he can't control his own emotions for a start when Mayo or Donegal are playing..it's embarrassing.
To be honest, I think it is a better version of the TV3 coverage (which was already better than RTE to start with)
I think you are being harsh on Rachel Wyse,  she presents the show well and has as much a clue about the game as Lester does at times.
The big thing is that they actually discuss the game at hand and its incidents and tactics rather than the pundits using it as a soapbox for their own agendas and trotting out the same cliched views every week.
In fairness to RTE tomas o'se has been a breathe of fresh air, but they need a lot more like him and a clear out of the rubbish we have had to endure for years.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 11, 2014, 09:26:59 AM

To be honest, I think it is a better version of the TV3 coverage (which was already better than RTE to start with)
I think you are being harsh on Rachel Wyse,  she presents the show well and has as much a clue about the game as Lester does at times.
The big thing is that they actually discuss the game at hand and its incidents and tactics rather than the pundits using it as a soapbox for their own agendas and trotting out the same cliched views every week.
In fairness to RTE tomas o'se has been a breathe of fresh air, but they need a lot more like him and a clear out of the rubbish we have had to endure for years.

Correct. I think Rachel Wyse has been fine, in her role. She understands sport, and the dedication it takes. She also has an insight into the GAA in terms of it's place in Ireland. As an 'anchor', that's all you need. I don't see the need for Brian Carney as well mind you, I think he and Rachel could alternate presentation duties, or better again let him host a proper mid week review/analysis program, and let Rachel keep the Sunday/Saturday gig.

In general I think Sky's approach has been good. Not because of loads of technical wizardry, but because they have been generally upbeat and positive about the games and the players, as I expected they would be. It stands in stark contrast to the Football pundit(s) on RTE who are anything but, normally.

BennyHarp

Just out of interest - what gave you the impression that Rachel Wyse had no clue about the game? I think she's done a decent job and left it to the analysts to analyse - which they have done without the need to resort to personal insults and generalisations.
That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

I don't know why people are picking on Rachel Wyse for having no clue about the game when there's Spillane, Carney, Morrissey, Carr, etc. out there

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 11, 2014, 12:26:59 PM

Just out of interest - what gave you the impression that Rachel Wyse had no clue about the game? I think she's done a decent job and left it to the analysts to analyse - which they have done without the need to resort to personal insults and generalisations.

Not knowing the names of players/mentors without glancing at notes (or being prompted) from recollection. I didn't expect her to be an expert obviously. I tuned out from Sky coverage after a couple of games to be honest when I saw Senan Connell appear...

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on September 11, 2014, 12:37:34 PM
I don't know why people are picking on Rachel Wyse for having no clue about the game when there's Spillane, Carney, Morrissey, Carr, etc. out there

She needs to get herself a catchphrase a la 'Very much so' or 'Huuuuuge one in' before I can take her seriously.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on September 11, 2014, 01:06:05 PM

She needs to get herself a catchphrase a la 'Very much so' or 'Huuuuuge one in' before I can take her seriously.

Maybe not the latter. Jamsie O'Connor would be mortified. He looks like a lad after making his confirmation at the best of times.

johnneycool

Haven't got Sky, but did big Daíthí get the call to go over along with all the other TV3 pundits?

Asal Mor

Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2014, 01:12:48 PM
Haven't got Sky, but did big Daíthí get the call to go over along with all the other TV3 pundits?

Jamesie and Ollie Canning were the analysts the last day and Nicky English was doing co-commentary. I think Nicky's very good. He tells ya things like "Colin Fennelly is a great athlete and ball-carrier but his first touch is poor" which is the kind of info I'm looking for from an analyst. And in the Galway v Tipp game he spotted very early on that there was a total mismatch for pace between Seamie Callanan and Ronan Burke. Callanan skinned Burke  for the vital goal with 20 minutes to go.

Would agree that Rachel Wyse knows little enough. She was asking Ollie and Jamesie after the game about the huge impact bringing on a legend like Henry Shefflin can have. The two boys looked a bit puzzled since Henry had made absolutely no impact.

I'd question the value in bringing on Henry at this point in his career. It gets a big cheer but not much else(aside from the late point against Galway which was almost the match-winner.)

johnneycool

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 11, 2014, 02:39:53 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2014, 01:12:48 PM

Jamesie and Ollie Canning were the analysts the last day and Nicky English was doing co-commentary. I think Nicky's very good. He tells ya things like "Colin Fennelly is a great athlete and ball-carrier but his first touch is poor" which is the kind of info I'm looking for from an analyst. And in the Galway v Tipp game he spotted very early on that there was a total mismatch for pace between Seamie Callanan and Ronan Burke. Callanan skinned Burke  for the vital goal with 20 minutes to go.

Would agree that Rachel Wyse knows little enough. She was asking Ollie and Jamesie after the game about the huge impact bringing on a legend like Henry Shefflin can have. The two boys looked a bit puzzled since Henry had made absolutely no impact.

I'd question the value in bringing on Henry at this point in his career. It gets a big cheer but not much else(aside from the late point against Galway which was almost the match-winner.)

I wouldn't fault Rachel for that as more experienced commentators on RTÉ were wondering when Henry would appear as if it was inevitable, with Cody duly obliging with 5 minutes to go. Cody obviously thought Henry would have an impact as well.

I like Henry, fantastic hurler and all that, but his intercounty race is run and a monumental run is has been. I don't think we'll see the likes of it again in my lifetime.
I think I said back in the spring that if Kilkenny do win an AI it would be off the backs of the Fennelly's, Paul Murphy, Richie Hogan and Richie Power and not Henry. I still stand by that.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on September 11, 2014, 01:06:05 PM

That would get the boys on this board fairly excited if she starting talking about huge ones...
#newbridgeornowhere