Tipperary v Mayo, Round 2 Qualifier, Semple Stafium. 23/6/18.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 11, 2018, 10:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Chimley

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 23, 2018, 07:12:17 PM
Quote from: Chimley on June 23, 2018, 07:00:44 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2018, 06:47:53 PM
Quote from: Chimley on June 23, 2018, 06:46:53 PM
There's been many a time I've prepared the obituary for this team and at half time they looked in real trouble again. I think everyone can agree that Mayo give great value for the neutral fans. Most of the best games in the past 8 years have featured us.

In the days of blanket defence we still plug away with naive man on man defending.

Poor oul Keith is not a sweeper. Now we developed McLoughlin in to a very decent sweeper a few years ago. That's gone out the window for some reason.
Ye play with a sweeper just like every other team in Ireland..

Answer me this then. Why do so many of our games end up as thrillers. We are obviously the second best team in the country but we still bring every game down to the wire.

Because the sweeper isn't very good

Hound

There's been many a time I've prepared the obituary for this team and at half time they looked in real trouble again. I think everyone can agree that Mayo give great value for the neutral fans. Most of the best games in the past 8 years have featured us.

In the days of blanket defence we still plug away with naive man on man defending.

Answer me this then. Why do so many of our games end up as thrillers. We are obviously the second best team in the country but we still bring every game down to the wire.
Supporters of defensive teams think playing a forward or midfielder as a sweeper is the same as playing a defender as a sweeper.

Very impressive by Mayo after the flukey goal. Different league to Tipp, who had battled well up to that. Quinlivan is beautiful to watch, and they've a few great runners, but were well overrun in the 2nd half after the goal

Tubberman

Quote from: cornetto on June 23, 2018, 07:02:42 PM
All winners from round 2 out again next week.
Whew!! I hope the draw throws up a few crackers.
No possibility of Monahan v Tyrone in round three.

Open draw isn't it , so all pairings a possibility
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on June 23, 2018, 08:06:49 PM

Supporters of defensive teams think playing a forward or midfielder as a sweeper is the same as playing a defender as a sweeper.

Very impressive by Mayo after the flukey goal. Different league to Tipp, who had battled well up to that. Quinlivan is beautiful to watch, and they've a few great runners, but were well overrun in the 2nd half after the goal

We didn't play a full time sweeper today. As a result, when we did, the sweeper wasn't deep enough to be effective in providing cover to the FB back line.

Our half back line was playing very high up the pitch which meant that any time Tipperary won the ball at MF, there was a huge gap in front of our FB line for them to run into or play a ball in in front of their forwards.

macdanger2

Overall a decent result for us, we were on the ropes ten mins into the second half but took control at MF from the 10-25th minute of the second half and scored on most of those attacks.

Keegan improved hugely in the second half, he was lost in the first half which is maybe not surprising when he's  not used to that position. Doc was excellent today, motm for me.

Losing our second midfielder for the season pretty much f*cks us though, even if we make the super 8s it means our bench is weak.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Tubberman on June 23, 2018, 08:16:16 PM

Wrong, Tubberman.  Tyrone cannot play Monaghan, as repeat pairings are to be avoided.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Hound on June 23, 2018, 08:06:49 PM

Exactly.

Higgins or Keegan being left with nobody to mark is not the same as Tipp bringing back Brian Fox as sweeper. Roscommon bring back Kilroy who is also a forward.

highorlow

Tipp ought to regret not going man to man. They have some great players and we were there for the taking except for this defensive fad now that all so called weaker teams play.

We might have to call Jason Gibbons back to the panel. I was surprised he was omitted from it anyhow.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tubberman on June 23, 2018, 08:16:16 PM

Not if met previously I believe. Thank God Mayo are still in it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: highorlow on June 23, 2018, 11:00:10 PM
Tipp ought to regret not going man to man. They have some great players and we were there for the taking except for this defensive fad now that all so called weaker teams play.

We might have to call Jason Gibbons back to the panel. I was surprised he was omitted from it anyhow.
I heard that he was dropped because of a long-standing injury but I can't confirm this. Barry Moran at this stage of his career wouldn't be as effective as Tom Parsons or Seamie. I remember Farr saying before the Galway game that we would be in trouble when Seamie tires and is taken off- or something like that. Looks like his fears could be well-founded.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

omagh_gael

Who is your midfield next week? Does Willie Joe still have a pair of boots?