Ulster Club Minor Hurling Championship

Started by Colonel Cool, December 28, 2006, 03:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Cool

Does anyone know when the second semi final will be played. I think it's Slaughneil v Keady. Ballycran beat Cushendall by 2 pts in the first semi final. Awful time of the year to be playing hurling, never mind an Ulster final.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

Colonel Cool

Thank you Sludden. The forcast for Sunday is very bad. Gale force winds! Just what you need for a good game. :-\
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

Mac hinery

It couldn't be any worse weather than the day Slaughtneil beat Carrickmore, gale force wind and driving rain.

Lecale2

Quote from: Mac hinery on December 29, 2006, 05:52:30 PM
It couldn't be any worse weather than the day Slaughtneil beat Carrickmore, gale force wind and driving rain.
It was the same for the Down county final and the other semi final. There really must be some way of playing important championship matches when the weather is better. Can somebody post the result?

rolloutking

There's little you can do at this time of year. Although you can fix the match for a dry day the pitch is still going to be heavy and cut up easy. I remember we played St Johns in 2004 in late november and drew with them. The replay was fixed about 4 times and had to be called off every time. We were even going to play on a tuesday during the mid term break for the schools. It was delayed that much that the replay wasnt untill the week before Easter and the final was the week after. By the time we actually played the game some of the lads had turned 19! and were playin the 2004 Minor Championship 3 months into 2005!

The pitch was still terrible and was cut up in about 10 mins. We wernt allowed to warm up on it and had to warm up in a field with sheep and cows in it accross the road. Ballinascreen pitch is just a poor field that floods easily. However if they play it up on the new back pitch they would be fine. I played there this year for the school and it was great, nice and wide too. But there is no viewing facilities and the stand is down on the other pitch so it remains to be seen how they will cope.

treborstemme

Match cancelled as predicted.  On next sunday 7th January, probably same time.  Agree with everything said above! Our boys are fed up, and a new season almost upon us.  What can you do?

Lecale2

Is this in Ballinascreen next Sunday? I didn't notice it in the Irish News today.

johnneycool

Great competition and all that it is could be greatly improved if the minor championship fixtures within each county could be brought forward to earlier in the year and hence this would make a better spectacle not to mention turning the game into a lottery by playing it on a bog of a pitch. This is no way a slur on Ballinascreen who had the foresight to start this competition in the first place.

On a similar note a lot of the Ulster minor hurling league fixtures were set very late in the year as well and to be honest caused us problems with youngsters twiddling their thumbs for the best part of the summer, then going to the soccer when it started in August. Then with the UHL also on a saturday some the youngsters weren't prepared to give it up to go to hurl in november. We've enough problems keeping youngsters without shooting ourselves in the foot.

SouthArmaghBandit

Irish News today - Semi Final in Ballinascreen @ 2.00pm on Sunday. Ref E McHugh - who he??

Lecale2

Shaughneil v Keady - Can someone post the final score? Assuming it goes ahead.

johnneycool

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on January 05, 2007, 12:28:32 PM
Irish News today - Semi Final in Ballinascreen @ 2.00pm on Sunday. Ref E McHugh - who he??

Eugene McHugh from Ballycastle, not a bad ref on his day. I wonder does he still wear that knee bandage which seems to be hanging on

robertemmet

Slaughtneil won by 5-6 points.  They play Ballycran in the final next Sunday.

johnneycool

Is this game good to go on sunday?

I think Down and Derry are playing a friendly before it in Ballinscreen, so might be worht a visit if the pitch(es) hold up with all the rain we've had the last few days?

Derry Daisy

Match is cancelled, due to waterlogged pitch, so can't see the seniors playing a friendly there either.

johnneycool