The Kingdom v The Pale

Started by Fuzzman, March 20, 2017, 10:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I think this photo sums up how Kerry people must feel about Dublin at the moment.

With the Dubs drawing with Tyrone in HQ, hammering Mayo and drawing away to Donegal this was probably the last chance for a Dublin defeat, in the league anyway, for 2017. Dublin had put out quite an inexperienced side yet Kerry again failed to get over the line.

I didn't see the game on Saturday night but I heard it was quite dirty. Do people think Kerry are any closer to overcoming the Dubs or will they maintain this run over their old enemy for a few years yet?

No wonder Fitzmaurice is happy to get the super 8s as they will get a few more challenging games before playing the Dubs again.

seafoid

Kerry won't beat the Dubs. Maybe some other team will.
Kerry have been sub par for a good while

yellowcard

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 20, 2017, 10:25:46 AM
I think this photo sums up how Kerry people must feel about Dublin at the moment.

With the Dubs drawing with Tyrone in HQ, hammering Mayo and drawing away to Donegal this was probably the last chance for a Dublin defeat, in the league anyway, for 2017. Dublin had put out quite an inexperienced side yet Kerry again failed to get over the line.

I didn't see the game on Saturday night but I heard it was quite dirty. Do people think Kerry are any closer to overcoming the Dubs or will they maintain this run over their old enemy for a few years yet?

No wonder Fitzmaurice is happy to get the super 8s as they will get a few more challenging games before playing the Dubs again.

I'm not sure exactly what the photo shows other than 2 managers shaking hands after a match.

Kerry were certainly a lot more revved up for the match on Saturday night than the Dubs and that was only the crowd! And they used to say that the league meant little in Kerry but it certainly didn't look like that on Saturday evening and they still failed to put the Dubs away. They really should have won the match though as they missed several good chances in the second half to close out the game. I don't think that the Dubs are as invincible as many make out and they will struggle to maintain hunger levels as the year goes on. Take Paul Geaney out of the Kerry forward line at the minute and they look slightly threadbare up front. 

Avondhu star

Kerry dont play "dirty" according to Daragh O Se. Their football is of the "manly" type.
Its great to see Dublin go down to Tralee and let Kerry know they are not going to be pushed about
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Fuzzman

I think the face on Fitzmaurice looks like he's thinking I'm fed up shaking this smug little Dub'd hand feeling like this.
He probably knew this was their best chance to beat them in a while and the next time they meet might be in the AI final should they get that far.

The Dubs have come close to defeat a few times now in the league but are still hanging in there however they have experimented quite a bit with lads who normally wouldn't be 1st team starters

On Saturday night they had a weak enough half back line which you would imagine will be replaced by McCarthy, O'Sullivan and McCaffrey. Scully, Carthy and McHugh will hardly be there in the latter stages of the summer you would imagine with even O'Gara, Mannion and McManamon more likely to figure as super subs than getting a starting slot.

S Cluxton; D Daly, P McMahon, M Fitzsimons; J Small, D Byrne, E Lowndes; B Fenton, MD Macauley; N Scully, C Kilkenny, SB Carthy; D Rock, P Andrews, C McHugh. Subs: C O'Sullivan for Byrne (h-t), P Flynn for Scully (41), K McManamon for Macauley (44), E O'Gara for Andrews (46), P Mannion for Small inj (48), B Brogan for McHugh (69)

Shamrock Shore

I though it was a great game.

Ok - there was a lot of off-the-ball shite but in terms of passion and excitement it was hard to beat.

Kerry threw it away of course at the end.

straightred

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 20, 2017, 12:50:38 PM
I though it was a great game.

Ok - there was a lot of off-the-ball shite but in terms of passion and excitement it was hard to beat.

Kerry threw it away of course at the end.

I was at it and really enjoyed it.

1st half was dire and nasty at times but the 2nd half more than made up for it. From a dublin perspective I thought the draw was barely (if even) deserved but i'll take it. Ref had a hard job to do and he didn't seem to get much help from the other officials but overall he did well - if anything maybe dublin got the rub of the green overall.

I loved the ground. I was early enough to get into the stand which was great. 12,000 odd people packed in made for a great occasion.

twohands!!!

Some one posted the match below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ6qMvb8Y48

I think the ref let things get out of control a bit - should have done more to stamp out the messing in the first half - with players if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile and he gave them a lot of inches in the first half.

Kerry seemed to get a lot of joy in terms of putting pressure on Cuxton's kickouts - Dublin didn't seem to be able to move the ball as quickly up the pitch as much as they normally do.
In terms of newcomers I thought Lowdnes and McHugh for Dublin and Morley for Kerry showed the most promise.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Avondhu star on March 20, 2017, 11:41:40 AM

Kerry dont play "dirty" according to Daragh O Se. Their football is of the "manly" type.
Its great to see Dublin go down to Tralee and let Kerry know they are not going to be pushed about

You'd be far better off concentrating on your own disaster of a county team I'd say rather than posting childish stuff like that.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Fitzmaurice is just a dour man so the photo is just normal for him. Charismatic, he ain't.

If you look at the Kerry team last August, those who are gone now or impact players at best (my view of Donagh and Gooch if he doesn't retire) and those who are taking their place in the squad..it's bordering on delusional to see us beating Dublin this year. Barring a few 21s stepping up in a big way, which I think is 2 years away yet.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on March 20, 2017, 11:18:57 PM
Fitzmaurice is just a dour man so the photo is just normal for him. Charismatic, he ain't.

If you look at the Kerry team last August, those who are gone now or impact players at best (my view of Donagh and Gooch if he doesn't retire) and those who are taking their place in the squad..it's bordering on delusional to see us beating Dublin this year. Barring a few 21s stepping up in a big way, which I think is 2 years away yet.
Yet he's almost Mickoesque in comparison to the guy beside him in the photo in that regard.