FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 13, 2020, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on January 13, 2020, 06:36:24 PM
Very difficult to know with great certainty where mayo are at , how do you even define “finished “ in today’s inter county world . Let’s pretend Mayo get to the super 8 this summer,  for arguments sake if they progressed to a semi final say v Kerry , would you bet your house on a Kerry victory ? 

There is definitely some promise in a dozen players coming into the reckoning now and with Boyler (50mins r so)Higgins(same as boyler),Tom p (? Over getting back to the player he was obviously) Aido, lee, Cillian, paddy , Diarmuid  still very much top players it’s not beyond them to win games . So ,finished as all Ireland contenders, probably have been since after 17 (should of won Sam simple as ) but finished as a top 4 side , I wouldn’t be certain that’s for sure .
I go along with that. I'm not confident that Mayo will recapture the form of '16 or '17 this year but I see no reason to suppose they won't make the Super 8s. With the obvious exception of Dublin, I can't see any side I'd be 100% certain we would not be able to handle- and that includes Kerry.
Kerry had an indifferent league, a relatively easy run-in to the Super 8s and like Mayo on more than one occasion ran Dublin close in the first game.  But Dublin made no mistake in the replay and were in cruise control long before the end.
Apart from Clifford, O’Shea and possibly Geaney upfront  and David Moran at midfield , I don’t think they have anyone else who’d bother Dublin in the slightest.
Donegal? Seems MacNiallais is and McBrearty won’t feature this year so I’d respect them but certainly not fear them.
Who else is left?
Galway I suppose but they’ve been stuck in the same gear for some years now and unless Pee Joyce has something up his sleeve, there’s no reason to suppose they will do any better this year than in the previous couple.
It’s far too early in the year to start coming up with firm predictions about anything but I’ll still predict that Mayo will  be a top four side when the season finishes.

Kerry were pretty phenomenal  the day down in Killarney , I Really thought they would win the all Ireland after that and that day I may have agreed with From the Bunker  that mayo were on the way out , but the way they Took Dublin on and made them pay pehaps dome of their best ever football to beat them show me that mayo are still very much a force ,
As for top 4 /meaning nothing that a very entitled view mayo have to work very hard to maintain that level of excellence and most counties would kill for such a position, your Corks kildares armaghs kildares even Westmeath  are there waiting for sign of weakness nd would find it easier to hold onto their players if a semi final possible final was on the Horizon, look how much beating mayo meant to Kildare a couple of years back.
But remember it was Mayo that came back the  stronger the following year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

greatpoint

Kerry were out of sight after about 15 mins against Mayo, Dublin had their game won in the 37th minute once O'Callaghan scored the goal. Roscommon put Mayo out of Connacht.

In 2018 Galway beat them in Connacht and then Kildare put them out in the qualifiers.

What exactly are people basing Mayo not regressing on? Beating an underperforming Donegal in poor weather at home?

larryin89

Quote from: greatpoint on January 14, 2020, 11:58:32 AM
Kerry were out of sight after about 15 mins against Mayo, Dublin had their game won in the 37th minute once O'Callaghan scored the goal. Roscommon put Mayo out of Connacht.

In 2018 Galway beat them in Connacht and then Kildare put them out in the qualifiers.

What exactly are people basing Mayo not regressing on? Beating an underperforming Donegal in poor weather at home?

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing but there in a nutshell you have what people describe every fooking victory mayo have " underperforming opposition, if it was  final mayo would of lost, other team was tired ( donegal 13) other team was rebuilding (Kerry 17,) . It just goes on and on and on , we never get credit for a win .

Mayo have fell back slightly in 18&19 , but despite the narrative we have been bringing in new blood whom I believe might be able to add a bit this year if not perhaps 21 anyhow .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

MayoBuck

Dublin also had the replayed all Ireland won after 35 minutes, once Murchan got the goal. Mayo were poor throughout 2018, no denying that, but were much improved in 2019 across league and championship. That doesn't signal regression IMO.

Donegal went 2 points up against Mayo after 2 minutes last year. That is hardly an underperforming team? They also came into the game in brilliant form after playing Kerry in Croke Park. That game was also played in poor weather although I'm not sure what significance that has?

Rossfan

I thought the FBD was between Ros and the Herrins as usual!!
Open a Rhubarbology thread if ye need to get things off th'oul chests.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MayoBuck

Quote from: Rossfan on January 14, 2020, 01:21:55 PM
I thought the FBD was between Ros and the Herrins as usual!!
Open a Rhubarbology thread if ye need to get things off th'oul chests.

Discussion about all Ireland semi-finals and finals certainly isn't relevant to Roscommon anyway.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on January 14, 2020, 12:11:31 PM

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing but there in a nutshell you have what people describe every fooking victory mayo have " underperforming opposition, if it was  final mayo would of lost, other team was tired ( donegal 13) other team was rebuilding (Kerry 17,) . It just goes on and on and on , we never get credit for a win .

Mayo have fell back slightly in 18&19 , but despite the narrative we have been bringing in new blood whom I believe might be able to add a bit this year if not perhaps 21 anyhow .

Mayo have got plenty of credit for wins over the past decade and are as good as what's out there with the one obvious exception.
Some of the narrative around Mayo won't change until they land the big one, there's not much that the 2020 team can do about previous years and losses which should be irrelevant to the competition this year, Mayo have a good squad and there are surely more players coming through, certainly Mayo's new players stood out much more than any of the Galway debutants last Sunday.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: MayoBuck on January 14, 2020, 01:12:32 PM

Dublin also had the replayed all Ireland won after 35 minutes, once Murchan got the goal. Mayo were poor throughout 2018, no denying that, but were much improved in 2019 across league and championship. That doesn't signal regression IMO.

Donegal went 2 points up against Mayo after 2 minutes last year. That is hardly an underperforming team? They also came into the game in brilliant form after playing Kerry in Croke Park. That game was also played in poor weather although I'm not sure what significance that has?

Much improved in the league certainly, went from just about staying up to winning the league. Championship from 3rd round exit to semi final appearance a improvement also but was some of performances a big improvement? For example at home to Armagh was not a lot different than the performance v kildare in 2018. Long stages of the Meath game in Croke Park wasn't great either. I'm thinking Mayo will need to win Connacht this summer to reach the semi final again as if they don't they could find themselves in the same super 8 group as Dublin, Kerry.

Anyway back to the thread topic. Another Galway v Roscommon final which should be intriguing contest.

Lar Naparka

There is a helluva difference between saying Mayo hasn't regressed and that they have disappeared off the radar. Mayo have gone back somewhat without a doubt and will take some time to rebuild and there is no guarantee that that will happen anytime soon.
But, IMO, they are still a Super 8 team at the very least. And that's more because there is a scarcity of top teams about rather than perceived excellence on Mayo's part.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2020, 09:04:53 AM
The dominance of the Dubs has led to the emergence of a glass ceiling

Normally that Mayo team would have won Sam. The Dubs would have faded and it would have been Mayo's turn in 16 or 17. Tyrone would have kicked on as well.

But not with the Dubs way ahead. Not possible.
The sport is rigged.

You want to be careful what you say Seafoid. The romantics believe still (despite all the published facts and figures) that we are dealing with the same way of progressing/coaching/traning/selecting of a squad/team to push on for to try and win an All Ireland as one did 10 years ago.

Anyway, I look from a distance anymore. It'd disgust me to pay into an Inter-county match.

I'll be shouting for Dublin again this year!

Rossfan

Aye but can they win the FBD.
Nobody's going anywhere till they win the FBD.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 14, 2020, 02:30:57 PM
Much improved in the league certainly, went from just about staying up to winning the league. Championship from 3rd round exit to semi final appearance a improvement also but was some of performances a big improvement? For example at home to Armagh was not a lot different than the performance v kildare in 2018. Long stages of the Meath game in Croke Park wasn't great either. I'm thinking Mayo will need to win Connacht this summer to reach the semi final again as if they don't they could find themselves in the same super 8 group as Dublin, Kerry.

Mayo didn't play that well in every championship game last year but still beat 3 if this year's division 1 teams. That's no worse than 2016 and 2017 tbh (remember Fermanagh and Derry!), when they were supposedly in their prime.

Aside from Dublin, every team had 1 or 2 poor performances last year anyway.

From the Bunker

Just checked there, Mayo are 18/1 to win Sam.

Must be the highest odds since 2012?

Dublin are 8/11!

Rossfan

REMINDER!!!

FBD FINAL Roscommon v Galway Sat 18/1/2020 I bPáirc de hÍde.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Rossfan on January 14, 2020, 07:51:39 PM
REMINDER!!!

FBD FINAL Roscommon v Galway Sat 18/1/2020 I bPáirc de hÍde.

If you want to discuss the FBD final then belt away. Nobody is stopping you.