FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Lol pipe down lad , I wanted us to win , just felt like the players weren't pushed cause of the position they were in and then not to hold on from such a commanding position but perhaps you're right and Galway are just better at FBD . 

Like I say the trip to limerick is still fresh in the mind , when a gang of fancy dans collapsed like well a gang of fancy fans do . 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

GalwayBayBoy

NUIG lose by a point to UCC so Mayo will get back Ruane and O'Donoghue. Galway will get back Finnerty, D'Arcy and O'Laoi. Molloy came on as a sub but still has the club final next weekend to play.

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on January 12, 2020, 05:09:30 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on January 12, 2020, 05:02:37 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on January 12, 2020, 04:03:59 PM
Convinced they didn't want to actually win that , last train now too cause of that shite

Mayo teams have beaten Galway twice in the last 21 attempts, ye haven't made a final of a Connacht competition for 6 years, and yet Mayo didn't want to win. You're consistent at least, have to give ya that

We were six points up in the last quarter so shouldn't not win from that position. 

Also we beat Galway in knockout championship last year and convincingly so , when it mattered .
It didn't actually matter though, did it ? Neither team was going to trouble Dublin.
It wasn't like 95-01 . There was nothing at stake.
The Dubs have drained all meaning from the All Ireland.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Whatever about th'oul meaningless All Ireland the western powerhouses of Ros and Galway meet for what seems like the 20th time in a row in the FBD Final.
A 30 point victory over a Laythrum outfit weekend by Sigerson and Stag party versus a penalty shoot out win over Mayowestros means advantage Galway.
Anthony tried out another 6 or 7 new lads today but anyone would look good in that game.
Colm Lavin who was alleged to have left the panel was in goal today and had a handy afternoon.
Enda Smith and Cathal Cregg got sinbinned, Cregg about 2 minutes from full time. I wonder had he to wait for 8 minutes for his post match grub?
Final next Saturday at 2 in the Hyde.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Manning18

Quote from: larryin89 on January 12, 2020, 05:36:45 PM
Lol pipe down lad , I wanted us to win , just felt like the players weren't pushed cause of the position they were in and then not to hold on from such a commanding position but perhaps you're right and Galway are just better at FBD . 

Like I say the trip to limerick is still fresh in the mind , when a gang of fancy dans collapsed like well a gang of fancy fans do .

You know it's a bad situation when you need to bring up a qualifier victory to stop a 16 game losing snap versus Galway at all age groups. Ultimately did you join Wexford on that lofty perch of 4 all Ireland's? No. I'd never use the word collapse either bud in your situation

cornetto

Good to see galway playing the way they are training forward if at all possible,once I think galway bay radio said the ball was played backwards in first half.
Rob finnerty had a stormer for ucg but failed by 1pt.
Nice start to the year and over 7000 to see it.
There will be some panel to choose from when all available,hope management have the balls to make the right decisions and forget about club loyalty.
Is it time to let comer loose at midfield?
If Michael Murphy can do it why not.
Lots to ponder on,roll on the league!😊

An Fhairche Abu

Can't believe there's lads here arguing over that FBD match!

Great game for this time of year, credit to both sides. Mayo should be the happier after that despite losing the 6 point lead, they looked the better team, had more new lads stand out and should have really won pulling up to be honest.
From the outside I'm baffled to see that Mayo are sticking with Hennelly, when the pressure comes on he has proven to be unreliable at key points time and time again, today was no exception at a crucial moment.

Good to see Galway stick at it to get it to penos but if that is the kick out "strategy" for the entire year we are in bother. You cannot throw away possession on 50/50 (or worse) contests for the majority of the game, Mayo owned the ball for large stretches of the match as a result of this, took Galway way too long to mix it up with a few short ones. Gleeson looks a good shot stopper in fairness and I wouldn't blame him for the kick outs entirely as it's likely just the instruction to himself and the outfield players.
Easy to see what Joyce is trying to do with the attack, quick ball in, a lot more kick passes as a result and a shoot on sight policy. Varley had a very good match today, won a huge amount of ball that was played in and Shane Walsh was imperious when on the ball. Not a huge amount of success for the new players looking to make their mark, the run out next week against the Rossies will give them another opportunity to hopefully play a bit better.

Great to see Conroy and Parsons back on the field of play as well, both getting on the score sheet with fine points.

larryin89

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 12, 2020, 10:42:35 PM

Great game for this time of year, credit to both sides. Mayo should be the happier after that despite losing the 6 point lead, they looked the better team, had more new lads stand out and should have really won pulling up to be honest.
From the outside I'm baffled to see that Mayo are sticking with Hennelly, when the pressure comes on he has proven to be unreliable at key points time and time again, today was no exception at a crucial moment.

Good to see Galway stick at it to get it to penos but if that is the kick out "strategy" for the entire year we are in bother. You cannot throw away possession on 50/50 (or worse) contests for the majority of the game, Mayo owned the ball for large stretches of the match as a result of this, took Galway way too long to mix it up with a few short ones. Gleeson looks a good shot stopper in fairness and I wouldn't blame him for the kick outs entirely as it's likely just the instruction to himself and the outfield players.
Easy to see what Joyce is trying to do with the attack, quick ball in, a lot more kick passes as a result and a shoot on sight policy. Varley had a very good match today, won a huge amount of ball that was played in and Shane Walsh was imperious when on the ball. Not a huge amount of success for the new players looking to make their mark, the run out next week against the Rossies will give them another opportunity to hopefully play a bit better.

Great to see Conroy and Parsons back on the field of play as well, both getting on the score sheet with fine points.

Bang on with hennelly , nobody outside of those who decide team selection can understand the logic in playing Robbie today and the Mitchell's keeper helping out with program selling at the ground . It just doesn't make sense to play Robbie or David C today .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

galwayman

Couldn't get to this one unfortunately as was away - how did GOD do at full back today?
Your synopsis of the kickouts is worrying as this was a huge issue for us during Kevin Walsh's tenure.
It's early days though so you'd imagine there will be a big emphasis on sorting this out going forward.

Maroon Manc

Galway desperate to find new blood in the full back line, doesn't sound like they found it yesterday either. Midfield is a worry too, I like the look of D'Arcy and I'm sure he'tall get a chance next week to shine but he's probably not the best fielder of the ball which is a concern if Galway don't sort of their kick out strategy. He's exceptionally mobile though and will work harder than any other of the other midfielders.

rosnarun

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 12, 2020, 05:23:18 PM
Convinced they didn’t want to actually win that , last train now too cause of that shite

Mayo teams have beaten Galway twice in the last 21 attempts, ye haven't made a final of a Connacht competition for 6 years, and yet Mayo didn't want to win. You're consistent at least, have to give ya that

You cannot take anything from today. Mayo are on the slide, only to be expected. Galway are not going forward or backward. They reached a standard a couple of years ago and flat-lined at that.

Both are a long (long) distance from the Dublin Machine,  So I would not get to excited by local rivalries!

why would you think Mayo are on the Slide?
league champions and All Ireland semifinalists (only losing to the 'Greatest team of all time EVER' from last year and another Excellent bunch of lads look like they're coming through this year another 40 or so playing sigurson Cup and half the starters  on holidays taking a break etc?

I Just don't get the logic
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Roscommon are hardly the "greatest team of all time EVER".
I believe ye lost to Dublin as well.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

cornetto

Highlights from mayo v galway fbd 2020.
https://youtu.be/K5AHUu7OmPc

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on January 13, 2020, 09:29:54 AM

Couldn't get to this one unfortunately as was away - how did GOD do at full back today?
Your synopsis of the kickouts is worrying as this was a huge issue for us during Kevin Walsh's tenure.
It's early days though so you'd imagine there will be a big emphasis on sorting this out going forward.

Full back line didn't go well, O'Donnell had a nice textbook dispossession of Irwin at the end which started the move for the Galway point to equalise but outside of that he was middling, good in broken play but he was left trailing behind his man a lot of the time, he looked exactly what he is, a HB trying to play in a line he's not suited to. Maybe with more games there he would improve at the position but I felt the Galway FB line was probably the worst on the pitch, McLoughlin gave them the run around and Reape got a nice few scores as well.
I was hoping to see more out of Galway's HB line but I wouldn't write them off on the basis of that match.

Outside of the result it's more about looking to see what players might come through for the year and overall out of the newbies I was more impressed with the likes of O'Hora on the Mayo team than any of the equivalent Galway players looking to brake into the team such as Murray and Boyle. Gleeson is intriguing if the kickouts improve but difficult to know either way off the back of just one game.

The kickouts seemed to be the biggest issue overall, especially given how long it took them to change up after Galway went totally out of the match in the middle after the first ten minutes.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: rosnarun on January 13, 2020, 10:50:50 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 12, 2020, 05:23:18 PM
Convinced they didn't want to actually win that , last train now too cause of that shite

You cannot take anything from today. Mayo are on the slide, only to be expected. Galway are not going forward or backward. They reached a standard a couple of years ago and flat-lined at that.

Both are a long (long) distance from the Dublin Machine,  So I would not get to excited by local rivalries!

why would you think Mayo are on the Slide?
league champions and All Ireland semifinalists (only losing to the 'Greatest team of all time EVER' from last year and another Excellent bunch of lads look like they're coming through this year another 40 or so playing sigurson Cup and half the starters  on holidays taking a break etc?

I Just don't get the logic
TBH, neither do I.
Mayo are from from being a spent force. It remains to be seen if they as as good as they were in, sy, 2016 , but there's life in the oul' dog yet as the saying goes.
Andy is the only first choice player to have retired and given the number who are game for another go, I feel Mayo won't lack confidence, whatever else may turn out to be lacking. Only time will tell and I'm not giving up on Mayo.
However, having said that, I see one of our old, old failings hasn't gone away, ya know!
Six points up with 12 minutes and Mayo still managed to blow it.
I guess life was never meant to be easy for Mayo and the fans.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi