Spotlight

Started by full back, June 20, 2007, 10:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Anyone see the show last night?

Thought it was going to reveal a lot more, going by the previews of it. At the end of the day it just confirmed what was already thought.
Why was Mc Cormick (sp) so annoyed about impersonating a priest?

Mack the finger

Programme promised a lot and delivered nothing.

For all the talk of the skills and courage of Nairac, how naive and stupid was he to think he could flounce about
Cross then go to Dromintee and expect nobody to recognise him?

Difficult to have any sympathy.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

YOU TAKE THE MONEY, YOU TAKE THE RISK!
Tbc....

An Fear Rua

Getting what he deserves is a inflammatory way of saying what I think you actually meant 5 Times? However given he supposed involvment in the ShowBand killings(edit: need to check on Pitchfork , I recall him being stationed there at the time), some may feel justice was done...

Nairac was arrogant and cocky, these "missions" to the Three Steps, included him getting on stage and singing in a mock Belfast accent. They were unofficial missions too, never sanctioned by HQ etc.  It hardly suprising that he was found out, he was a marked man for a while, but accoring to martin dillion, his end was premature. The local brigade wanted to use him for info etc, but he was collared by a few locals in the carpark, who then summoned the provos after giving him a beating.
Its Grim up North

5 Sams

There were a lot of words used to describe Nairac in the show...brave, etc, etc, .......the one that wasnt used is the only one that applies....stupid.
The Aristocrat Years

Aghdavoyle

Nothing new at all in that show. might as well just have read out existing literary accounts.

That was McCormac all right.

The plan to hold nairac and extract info from him was scuppered when the locals thought it'd be a good idea to phone Townsend.

guy crouchback

something i dont understand about mc cormacks version of events from last night.
he said he was there when they grabbed Nariac in the car park and brought him to the field, and he said that he then asked him if he wanted a priest, and that he then proceed to impersonate a priest.
did Nariac not spot that it was the same person all along.

GweylTah

If a British solider, maybe an RIR person, was frequenting a pub in south Armagh these days, and got done-in, would he 'get what he deserved'?, and how would that square with support for the Peace Process and a complete, permanent end to the armed campaign?

Mack the finger

Quote from: guy crouchback on June 20, 2007, 12:49:46 PM
something i dont understand about mc cormacks version of events from last night.
he said he was there when they grabbed Nariac in the car park and brought him to the field, and he said that he then asked him if he wanted a priest, and that he then proceed to impersonate a priest.
did Nariac not spot that it was the same person all along.

I didn't get that either. Maybe he put on a different voice or something, impersonated Father Dougal McGuire maybe.

Mack the finger

Quote from: GweylTah on June 20, 2007, 12:57:18 PM
If a British solider, maybe an RIR person, was frequenting a pub in south Armagh these days, and got done-in, would he 'get what he deserved'?, and how would that square with support for the Peace Process and a complete, permanent end to the armed campaign?

Homestly think its changed times and he wouldn't get done in.

However, it would be a bit daft for him to be there, having been part of a group which abused, harrassed, injured and killed members of the local community, and expect people to be buying him drinks.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: GweylTah on June 20, 2007, 12:57:18 PM

You will need to qualify your question , would this modern day soldier be supporting sectarian murder gangs etc?
Then you could prob get an answer from the relevant poster.

As for the priest, it was reported elsewhere that he asked for a priest but was instead told to say a prayer.
Its Grim up North

Donagh

Was there any mention of his killing sprees into County Monaghan and his trophy photographs of his victims? Any mention of him arming unionist paramilitaries in mid Ulster while based in Mahon Rd barracks on Portadown?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Donagh on June 20, 2007, 01:38:04 PM
Was there any mention of his killing sprees into County Monaghan and his trophy photographs of his victims? Any mention of him arming unionist paramilitaries in mid Ulster while based in Mahon Rd barracks on Portadown?

Nope Donagh that he was a mighty "brave" man.

Personally I would replace the word "brave" with "stupid, cocky bast*rd" -

We reap what we sow!
Tbc....

hitzelsperger

spotlight has gone to the dogs since the well noted 'students of the holylands' episode...quality watching that night! :S

ziggysego

I missed it last night. Is it repeated anytime during the week?
Testing Accessibility