"It's time for the GAA to drop the national anthem"

Started by seafoid, September 21, 2016, 09:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyboard Warrior

Rule is the anthem can only be played once at a venue on any particular day. Generally reserved to before the second game.

Hardy

Quote from: larryin89 on April 05, 2018, 01:08:45 PM
I dunno but I find a section of Irish society really odd. Why would you want the anthem abolished before games, what actual reasons could you have?  Secretly west brits ?

If they ever abolish it I will sing it as a point of principal till the day I cant go no more , if im alone , so be it . TAL , ye absolute traitors.

I will defend with my life your democratic right to elevate your opinion to a position of primacy over the collective wish of the majority. It's a basic human right that everybody gets their own way.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on April 05, 2018, 02:35:01 PM
I dunno but I find a section of Irish society really odd. Why would you want the anthem abolished before games, what actual reasons could you have?  Secretly west brits ?

If they ever abolish it I will sing it as a point of principal till the day I cant go no more , if im alone , so be it . TAL , ye absolute traitors.

I will defend with my life your democratic right to elevate your opinion to a position of primacy over the collective wish of the majority. It's a basic human right that everybody gets their own way.

I don't want to drop the anthem, I just want to drop it unless it's before county finals, provincial finals or All Ireland finals. The reason why, is I think it devalues it playing it in a national league game with some scratchy recording or a young one just after winning the local Scór singing it.

larryin89

"Collective wish of the majority"  says who
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hardy

Quote from: larryin89 on April 05, 2018, 02:59:07 PM

If the anthem was dropped it would presumably be by a democratic decision of the membership. If it wasn't, I'd be shouting with you - "I don't care about playing the anthem, but you have to give the members their say".

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 05, 2018, 02:53:54 PM

I don't want to drop the anthem, I just want to drop it unless it's before county finals, provincial finals or All Ireland finals. The reason why, is I think it devalues it playing it in a national league game with some scratchy recording or a young one just after winning the local Scór singing it.

I take your points about the terrible recordings and funeral paced Scór winners versions. The anthem should be properly respected. People need to remember it's a march, it's meant to have an upbeat tempo. It's not a ballad. I like it before league games but agree it needs to be done properly.

BennyCake

Quote from: Hardy on April 05, 2018, 03:14:41 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 05, 2018, 02:59:07 PM

If the anthem was dropped it would presumably be by a democratic decision of the membership. If it wasn't, I'd be shouting with you - "I don't care about playing the anthem, but you have to give the members their say".

Yes but does that really happen? Didn't the CPA table a motion about the transparency of delegates votes at congress? Even if there was transparency, are all members really getting their say?

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on April 05, 2018, 11:42:23 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 05, 2018, 11:39:05 AM
What harm is the national anthem doing ?
Our game v Cavan hadn't the anthem before it.
Was the game null and void then?

Aye, so hand that trophy back  ;D

Rossfan

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on April 05, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
Rule is the anthem can only be played once at a venue on any particular day. .
Rule 1.8 doesn't say that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 05, 2018, 02:53:54 PM

Yeah I'd agree. It's not even the poor versions, it's just I don't think it's needed at every farts end.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 05, 2018, 11:44:39 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 05, 2018, 11:42:23 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 05, 2018, 11:39:05 AM
What harm is the national anthem doing ?
Our game v Cavan hadn't the anthem before it.
Was the game null and void then?

Never an anthem before the 'minor' match  :-*

Nor before a meaningless game, which in reality what it was, dar le Syf.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

westbound

Quote from: Rossfan on April 05, 2018, 04:30:59 PM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on April 05, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
Rule is the anthem can only be played once at a venue on any particular day. .
Rule 1.8 doesn't say that.

It's not a Gaa rule not to play the anthem more than once at a venue on a particular day, it's protocol with regard to the national anthem. This applies to ANY venue/event (not just GAA / sporting venues).

It's not necessarily always adhered to but that is the protocol. Similarly with things surrounding the flag (e.g. it should never be defaced, nor displayed if worn or frayed). Not always adhered to, but the 'rules' are there.

The Iceman

I would hate to see the anthem done away with at games. I think it goes hand in hand with gaelic games for me.  It's sad to see so many other countries where the flag and anthem and pride in where you are from outshines the Irish. I have the Irish flag flying proudly outside my house here in Florida. I wish living in the North of Ireland I could even have one without fear of being targeted.  Any time I've been to a bar out here to watch a game every one to a man stood for the Anthem (over the flippin telly!).  I went to see Armagh play Derry in 2007 before I left for the States. I recorded the anthem at that game. Gaelic games, national pride and the anthem are so intertwined I would be devastated for that to be watered down
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

BennyCake

Quote from: The Iceman on April 13, 2018, 10:20:20 PM
I would hate to see the anthem done away with at games. I think it goes hand in hand with gaelic games for me.  It's sad to see so many other countries where the flag and anthem and pride in where you are from outshines the Irish. I have the Irish flag flying proudly outside my house here in Florida. I wish living in the North of Ireland I could even have one without fear of being targeted.  Any time I've been to a bar out here to watch a game every one to a man stood for the Anthem (over the flippin telly!).  I went to see Armagh play Derry in 2007 before I left for the States. I recorded the anthem at that game. Gaelic games, national pride and the anthem are so intertwined I would be devastated for that to be watered down

It probably has more significance now you live away from home. People tend to attach more significance to anything Irish when away from home.

Yes you risk being targeted having a tricolour on your house in the North, but how many in the South fly a tricolour on their house? Very very few. Because the South is not a divided society and therefore few feel the need to nail their colours to the mast.

trileacman

No one says get rid of all together just reserve it for finals. A sensible suggestion and I really don't see what the fuss is about.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014