Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Jinxy on May 04, 2018, 10:28:40 AM
Gone are the days when you could bring a lad in during the summer because he was playing great stuff in the club championship.
Leitrim are starting a player on Sunday that never played a Championship,NFL or FBD game for them before. Must be based on club form?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 04, 2018, 02:14:25 PM
Gone are the days when you could bring a lad in during the summer because he was playing great stuff in the club championship.
Leitrim are starting a player on Sunday that never played a Championship,NFL or FBD game for them before. Must be based on club form?

Either that or they are fecked getting players to play for them!

galwayman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 04, 2018, 01:55:09 PM
Only getting revved up for this one now. Back working in Mayo and its all anyone is talking about although everyone seems to think its too hard to call

Its funny out of all the great memories I have from GAA, a lot of them are from Mayo v Galway

Winning in Team in '97 when the bull nearly burst the net
Losing the following year when I thought we were invincible and beating them the following year again was sweet, Nestor scoring a goal when Nestor used to always get a goal
There was a match around the turn of the century in Tuam again where the heavens opened, I've never seen some much rain, can't remember the result or the year.
Conor's RIP Micheal Jackson, Conor missing that free in front of me in Castlebar and child coming on and kicking it over from the same spot minutes later
The feeling sorry for them in 2013 but delighted for Andy when he stuck the fourth

I read a brilliant piece by Dion Fanning on watching Mo Salah with his young son, the piece that grabbed me was this

I do know that football - all sport - is not just about escape, it is about who you escape with and who you experience joy with. And sometimes you can lose that joy because the people you escaped with aren't around anymore and maybe then it matters less

And my two favourite GAA memories are like that and are both from Mayo v Galway matches

In 2009 myself, my dad and a girl that doesn't speak to me anymore travelled to Galway, thought we were home and hosed when Galway came back, the unspeakable happened when Meehan got that goal and then out of nowhere Paedar and Andy combined and Salthill erupted, there wasn't a Mayo man left sitting except when I turned around there was my dad, a huge smile, taking it all in

Or in 1989 in Tuam, again Mayo cruising, I was 9 and my brother 8, we knew nothing about not winning in Team, that Mayo teams didn't do that. The Galway man beside us got up to leave with a couple of minutes left "ye have it won", a couple of minutes later Val Daly stuck a goal and the ref blew it up for another day out. On the way home we debated whether your man would ever find out. it became the theme for the summer, we'd be in the bog or sitting down to dinner or down in Enniscrone "do you think he ever found out" delighted at the thought that there was a gombeen who left matches early somewhere thinking results had been different

It'd be great to get a fraction of any of those matches this May
That was 1999 in Tuam. We haven't played Mayo in Tuam in the championship since that day.
I remember it well and not in a good way. Horrible result on a winter-like day.

larryin89

I'd say he's going on about 1989 drawn game , drew with Ros too that year and then that magical moment of skill from the great Jimmy Burke in extra time when the Hyde Park erupted into a sea of green n red , my best childhood memory (sheltered life) :)
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 04, 2018, 02:34:37 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 04, 2018, 02:14:25 PM

Either that or they are fecked getting players to play for them!
Must have McStay picking their team😆😆
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

The matches had a different buzz when they were knockout and your summer was over a long time before the Galway races . Mayo could lose the next day and still be going in late August.

What now does have in common with 20 years ago is that Ros, Mayo and Galway are all playing at a high level . That is usually very good for Connacht football.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Quote from: larryin89 on May 05, 2018, 01:12:32 AM
I'd say he's going on about 1989 drawn game , drew with Ros too that year and then that magical moment of skill from the great Jimmy Burke in extra time when the Hyde Park erupted into a sea of green n red , my best childhood memory (sheltered life) :)

The abuse we got off the Rossies behind the Graveyard goal when they scored the penalty was something I had  never experienced at a match before that day......so when Jimmy Burke scored, it was complete and utter madness

Duine Eile

Rumour on the North Galway grapevine is Lee Keegan took part in a recent challenge for Mayo, at this stage I'll be more surprised if he's not playing than if he is.

REDCOL

Lee started Full Back, moved to Centre Back scored 2-5 and then he went to Centre Forward and notched up another six points from play all with his arm in a sling.

larryin89

Galway are extremely worried about an injured Mayo player , going to the extreme of completely telling lies .

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 05, 2018, 02:49:15 PM
Rumour on the North Galway grapevine is Lee Keegan took part in a recent challenge for Mayo, at this stage I'll be more surprised if he's not playing than if he is.

It really is GAA silly season now.

larryin89

Lar Naparka

That was the time Jimmy got down on his hands and knees and walked the ball over the goal line  or something like that, wasn't it? Something like Big Joe did in 2010 to rob Louth of a well-deserved Leinster title.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 05, 2018, 10:19:35 PM
That was the time Jimmy got down on his hands and knees and walked the ball over the goal line  or something like that, wasn't it? Something like Big Joe did in 2010 to rob Louth of a well-deserved Leinster title.

That's the one lar.

I can't quite recall but he must of got injured after  that Im near sure he played no part in the final v Cork.   There's something in my head about him near swallowing his tongue on the pitch in some game maybe it was v Tyrone semi. I was young so only thinking out loud here.