Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

AIB GAA Club Footballer of the Year, Liam Silke, believes the All-Ireland Club Championships should be completed in a calendar year.

It's long been the tradition for the All-Ireland Club Finals to be held on St. Patrick's Day the year after the county and provincial championships have been played.

But even though Silke's club Corofin have won two All-Ireland Club Championships in the past four years he's not a fan of the current system.

He says it puts excessive demands on elite club players like him who are also members of inter-county panels, and would much prefer if the All-Ireland Club Finals were held in December.

"Yeah, 100 per cent," he told GAA.ie "There needs to be something done to address the problem. The way it is, the last five years I've been on the go non-stop, going from club to county.

"Obviously it's only a select few who are in that position or have that problem because there are only eight or so clubs going onto that stage of the year.

"But there still needs to be some divide put in place and something needs to be done to rectify the problem because it's not really fair on players.

"Those Corofin players (who have rejoined the Galway panel) are now are on the back foot.

"They haven't got those few months pre-season put in and they've missed the whole League.

"So it's going to be hard for them to try to break into the team because there have been players there doing it for the past few months."

Having the All-Ireland Club Finals on St. Patrick's Day has made it something of a red-letter date in the GAA calendar, but Silke doesn't take it would detract from the occasion if the Finals were held in December instead.

"After a few years you'd nearly forget it was on St. Patrick's Day," he said.

"You'd be looking forward to December for the All-Ireland Finals.

"It's great to have that tradition, but it's more important to be looking after the players and making sure that they're getting their best opportunity to prepare well for both club and county.

"And, as you can see, Croke Park is always in great shape. I don't think the weather is going to have any impact on that, really."

After a hectic few years with club and county, Silke has decided to take a break from the game for the summer.

Currently studying a Postgraduate Degree in Medicine in UCD, once he completes his exams in early May he'll head to Boston for the summer with his girlfriend and a few others.

It was a difficult decision to make because the Galway footballers have started the season so impressively, but he's still content that it was the right one.

"Yeah, it does make the decision harder when they're going so well," admitted Silke. "But, look, this is my last opportunity to do it. It was this year or never, really.

"With the course I'm doing it's the only year that I'd have the full summer off. I kind of just want to take the opportunity to travel while I can because I won't get it again.

"And, also, I'd like a bit of a break because I've been on the go for the last five years with Corofin and Galway. It's nice to be able to take the break, but, again, I don't like missing out on the Championship and that.

"It's great to see Galway do so well, I'm very happy for them. What they've built this year will be there to see in the next few years and they'll reap the rewards.

"I still want to play for Galway, I love playing for Galway. That's not going to change, it's just to take a short break and hopefully be back in there."

Duine Eile

Rumour has it that Ronan Steede has been axed from the panel because he's gone to New York for 5 days with Corofin. Madness if true.

larryin89

Quote from: ballinaman on April 26, 2018, 02:24:19 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 26, 2018, 01:14:09 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 26, 2018, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 25, 2018, 10:06:14 AM
Mayo lost a challenge to Donegal. 2-21 to 2-18.

Any team anywhere for that Farr?

Haven't heard. Harrison rumoured to have taken part though.
Gavin Duffy played full forward

That's a lie , he actually played full back despite the daft rumours.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Duine Eile on April 26, 2018, 04:57:37 PM
Rumour has it that Ronan Steede has been axed from the panel because he's gone to New York for 5 days with Corofin. Madness if true.

Presumably the other Corofin lads in the panel (Burke, Molloy, Power) stayed in Ireland?

Duine Eile

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 26, 2018, 07:29:01 PM

Presumably the other Corofin lads in the panel (Burke, Molloy, Power) stayed in Ireland?

Looks like it yes so they're missing out on the trip, presumably after getting the same warning as Steede, these lads need a life too, what difference is 5 days going to make and it's not as if the Mayo game is next weekend, it's still over 3 weeks away.

Syferus

Quote from: Duine Eile on April 26, 2018, 07:42:04 PM

Looks like it yes so they're missing out on the trip, presumably after getting the same warning as Steede, these lads need a life too, what difference is 5 days going to make and it's not as if the Mayo game is next weekend, it's still over 3 weeks away.

This is the GAA we're talking about, common sense doesn't come into player management.

I don't rate Walah as highly as some but he's far from the only IC manager who would have tried to micro-manage players like that.

GalwayBayBoy

I guess the fear is that it could turn into a 5 day drinking session over there and that and the long flights might mean the players aren't even right at training next week after missing out completely this week. You can understand why lads would want to go on a team holiday with their club mates after winning an All-Ireland though. It's a difficult situation.

Corofin's long run was great for them but not so great for their players chances of getting on the Galway team. Especially a team that has been winning. They probably feel they are behind everyone else before even getting involved.

GAAFantasy

Big decisions to be made in regard to your Fantasy Gaelic Football team www.fantasygaelicfootball.com

Do you go
A: 2 Galway thinking they will win?
B: 2 Mayo thinking they will win?
C: Hell yea 2 from both as both All-Ireland Contenders?
D: Sure there is back door games, might make me more points there!! 2 from both it is! :P

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 26, 2018, 08:10:21 PM

I guess the fear is that it could turn into a 5 day drinking session over there and that and the long flights might mean the players aren't even right at training next week after missing out completely this week. You can understand why lads would want to go on a team holiday with their club mates after winning an All-Ireland though. It's a difficult situation.

Corofin's long run was great for them but not so great for their players chances of getting on the Galway team. Especially a team that has been winning. They probably feel they are behind everyone else before even getting involved.
You're in New York on a trip with your clubmates - of course it'll be a 5 day drink fest :-)
Did Ian Burke play any part in the A v B game at the weekend?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on April 26, 2018, 10:31:29 PM

You're in New York on a trip with your clubmates - of course it'll be a 5 day drink fest :-)

No but some of the Corofin lads were in Dublin the night before for the club awards.

I see Lavelle has transferred from Renvyle to Salthill. Always sad to see small rural clubs lose players to big clubs in urban areas but that's the way it is now unfortunately. Renvyle is an hour and a half drive from Galway as it is. Let alone if you're working even further east.

Duine Eile

Quote from: galwayman on April 26, 2018, 10:31:29 PM

Comes down to trusting your players to take care of themselves too though, still think it's extremely harsh. Ian Burke didn't play that A v B game but Steede did and played very well apparently. Kerin  came off injured at some stage too, hopefully it's not serious.

Farrandeelin

Less than 3 weeks.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

galwayman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 27, 2018, 07:19:41 AM

Less than 3 weeks.
Yeah it's two weeks and two days away now.
The way the club AI series is structured is making it very hard for lads to break in with the county.
It's ridiculous to force lads who are trying to break into their county team to miss the entire league.
Crazy.The way it worked out a lad like Steede may well have got the run in midfield that Duggan ended up getting instead.

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on April 27, 2018, 07:27:46 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 27, 2018, 07:19:41 AM

Less than 3 weeks.
Yeah it's two weeks and two days away now.
The way the club AI series is structured is making it very hard for lads to break in with the county.
It's ridiculous to force lads who are trying to break into their county team to miss the entire league.
Crazy.The way it worked out a lad like Steede may well have got the run in midfield that Duggan ended up getting instead.
The time between the end of the league and the start of championship is short but if they get to the Super 8 they will need a deep panel. When Galway had a really good team the 15 that played at the start wouldnt be the exact same 15 that played in the final. Players get injured or lose form.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Think he was pulling out anyway as he hadn't been going too well. Was never quite county standard IMO. Ml Farragher is the one they really should make an effort to get in. Lot of lesser players there ahead of him.