Club Flood lights

Started by thebackbar1, February 14, 2018, 10:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebackbar1

I'm looking to find out more about the current state of play in regard to Floodlights

As a club our longer term goal is to get proper match ready floodlights, however the pricing we have got is circa 100k.  Any recommendations on what contractor to use ?

Until we get the money gathered for the proper floodlights we're looking at alternatives. We're considering getting a local electrician to erect some lighting that will enable us to train but not play matches until we get the proper flood lights. Has anyone tried this approach ? was it expensive ?

I noticed that you can now buy portable floodlights, ones you can carry away in a bag ? Has anyone tried them ?

LooseCannon

Last Man

What about a couple of these yokes as a temporary solution. You would need somebody sensible to set them up and store them securely. Most of the plant hire firms have them, so you could trial them.
http://www.torrenttrackside.co.uk/product/mobile-lighting-towers/

LooseCannon

https://www.ramrugby.co.uk/collections/new-portable-floodlights

With the price of them, ye'd be better off going all out to get proper ones.

Are ye a small rural club?
Apply for grant funding. Can get up to 80% with national lottery grants.

Keyser soze

Those portable ones are all right [just all right] if you are doing a bit of fitness work at this time of year but not really effective even for training games as they have a very limited height extension. Nowhere near match standard even temporarily.

illdecide

I have worked on several projects with floodlighting, you can have whatever you want if you have the money...It's all down to the club budget, if money is tight and you men are only a bunch of Junior (Farmers) footballers/Hurlers (thats a joke BTW) nah is it for training or for matches. Training lights usually are about 200 Lux and for matches you'd be looking for around 500 Lux. TV as far as i remember require 1000 Lux (Minimum), if money is tight you could also try for 2nd hand lights of a County or club that has up-graded theirs.

Abacus are good but i have found that Philips were the dogs bollocks, technology moves on so quickly and they're trying out LED flood lights now...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

TabClear

Any idea what sort of running costs are involved, say for the 200 lux version?

illdecide

Quote from: TabClear on February 14, 2018, 01:36:31 PM
Any idea what sort of running costs are involved, say for the 200 lux version?

Depends on your lights and who you pay your bill with and what time you have your lights on at...

In General we have 500 Lux at our club, 15no lamps per column with 4 columns (one each corner of the pitch = 60no lamps) and it works out around £27 per hour to light the pitch
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

rosnarun

is planning permission required to erect lights .
Castle bar always see to leave it very late putting them on not sure if its meanness of a planning issue to please the snowflakes of McHale Road
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thebackbar1

Thanks for the feedback guys, who supplies/fits the Philips lights ?

LooseCannon

I think that they're included in the price paid, whether they themselves install them, I don't know.

johnneycool

Quote from: rosnarun on February 14, 2018, 03:22:34 PM
Castle bar always see to leave it very late putting them on not sure if its meanness of a planning issue to please the snowflakes of McHale Road

Probably saving a few quid in electricity or diesel

rosnarun

Quote from: johnneycool on February 16, 2018, 09:39:30 AM

Diesel I reckon the noise off them is shocking
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

LooseCannon

Quote from: rosnarun on February 16, 2018, 10:08:26 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 16, 2018, 09:39:30 AM

Diesel I reckon the noise off them is shocking

Unless your club is sponsored by the ESB, I wouldn't run floodlights on electricity.
It would cost a fortune.

thebackbar1

lads,

on a related issued has anyone heard of a club using led floodlights ?