Ladies football

Started by ExiledGael, May 07, 2007, 03:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay in to watch ladies football?

Yes
65 (52%)
No
60 (48%)

Total Members Voted: 123

imtommygunn

Way better than the mens. Dublin quite a bit fitter and stronger in tackle i thought which told in the end. They also played a sweeper which left cork not able to kick it in while dublin got loads of space.

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 16, 2018, 05:26:19 PM
Way better than the mens. Dublin quite a bit fitter and stronger in tackle i thought which told in the end. They also played a sweeper which left cork not able to kick it in while dublin got loads of space.

Yes, Dublin unsurprisingly look better conditioned! ;)

armaghniac

Enjoyable, but long periods of handpassing and no foot involved.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on September 16, 2018, 05:33:12 PM

Your posts in this thread are very transparent. Don't assume you're fooling anyone.

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on September 16, 2018, 05:55:36 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 16, 2018, 05:33:12 PM

Your posts in this thread are very transparent. Don't assume you're fooling anyone.

Transparent? You need to change the font setting on Gaaboard.
Perhaps you have wrong color

I'm not trying to fool anyone, I made two posts, one about a  nicely taken goal and another observation about the style of play.
You are losing the plot.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

befair

Good game, but I fear we're looking at an unstoppable Dublin juggernaut, as in men's football. Bigger population to choose from, more resources, hard to see what the answer is, as I love the Dubs

priceyreilly

The effect of the financial doping is widespread. At club and county level in all age grades in both hurling and football and yes, ladies football too.

bannside

The skill level and enjoyment factor in ladies football is rising all the time. Today's game was one of the best games seen all year.

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on September 16, 2018, 04:27:06 PM
That was a worldie, reminds me of Gooch's against Mayo in 2011. Art.

The way Carla Rowe finished her two goals was Gooch-esque alright.
Dunno why so many players go for power in that situation.
Just pass it into the net with the side of your boot.
No need to put the head down and bury it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Anyone watch the ladies semi-finals, in particular Galway v Mayo?

The ref had earlier disallowed a Galway goal when the player had burst through a couple of tackles , had a couple of girls hanging out of her and got the shot off (buried into the net) just as the ref whistled. First I thought it might have been a penalty, but then realised the signal was for a free out. I rewound it and the Galway player had taken 10 steps, so the ref got it spot on (makes a change from what we see in the men's game!).

So 30 seconds left at the end, Mayo one point down, the Mayo full forward is bearing down on goal, riding a number of tackles, and is finally nailed with a shoulder to the chest, clear free-in, probably just outside the box, but a handy 14m free. The referee clearly, from my view and from watching it again, is pointing for a free-in. A couple of the Galway players are remonstrating that the Mayo girl hopped it too many times. On replays you could see the Mayo player definitely hopped it twice in a row.

After the replays were shown on TG4, it went back to live play, and much to the commentators surprise, the free was now to Galway! They took the free, ran down the last few seconds, and held on by a point.

It was definitely the correct decision in the end, but I'm wondering did the ref see the replay on the big screen and then change his mind!? His own version of VAR!

cornerback

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2019, 08:09:15 AM
Anyone watch the ladies semi-finals, in particular Galway v Mayo?

The ref had earlier disallowed a Galway goal when the player had burst through a couple of tackles , had a couple of girls hanging out of her and got the shot off (buried into the net) just as the ref whistled. First I thought it might have been a penalty, but then realised the signal was for a free out. I rewound it and the Galway player had taken 10 steps, so the ref got it spot on (makes a change from what we see in the men's game!).

So 30 seconds left at the end, Mayo one point down, the Mayo full forward is bearing down on goal, riding a number of tackles, and is finally nailed with a shoulder to the chest, clear free-in, probably just outside the box, but a handy 14m free. The referee clearly, from my view and from watching it again, is pointing for a free-in. A couple of the Galway players are remonstrating that the Mayo girl hopped it too many times. On replays you could see the Mayo player definitely hopped it twice in a row.

After the replays were shown on TG4, it went back to live play, and much to the commentators surprise, the free was now to Galway! They took the free, ran down the last few seconds, and held on by a point.

It was definitely the correct decision in the end, but I'm wondering did the ref see the replay on the big screen and then change his mind!? His own version of VAR!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0826/1070917-irate-leahy-claims-var-over-ruled-referee-for-late-free/

blast05

I was equally frustrated that Kearns didn't get an easy tap-over free shortly after the Galway over-carrying.
The referee called her for over-carrying ..... 5 maybe 6 steps. Very much a case of the ref trying to balance the earlier call. Which is poor referring.

GalwayBayBoy

Thought the ref was very good on the steps rule. He called it consistently on both sides. Compared to how often players get away with it in the men's game.

shark

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 26, 2019, 12:56:15 PM
Thought the ref was very good on the steps rule. He called it consistently on both sides. Compared to how often players get away with it in the men's game.

It's essential that it's called correctly in the ladies game, as the only way to dispossess (or even slow down) the ball carrier is to flick the ball mid solo or hop. Of course it should me called more often in men's game too, but the consequences of not doing so are not as extreme.

Blowitupref

Meath 1-10 Dublin 0-9 in the All Ireland final with 12 minutes to play.

A great underdog story and no 5 in a row titles for Dublin. FT Meath 1-11 Dublin 0-12
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose