New Derry Manager

Started by JMohan, September 09, 2008, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone86

I'd imagine big Brian and Scullion would be the cheapest options out of those 6.

Is it a surprise Barton isn't nominated considering he was touted as the DCB's early favourite for the job?

time ticking away

Did Mickey Boyle train the team at screen or just tell the jokes  :P
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: tyrone86 on September 10, 2008, 09:45:07 PM
I'd imagine big Brian and Scullion would be the cheapest options out of those 6.

Is it a surprise Barton isn't nominated considering he was touted as the DCB's early favourite for the job?

Nail on the head!
Will we ever see another one?

unforgiven

Why do you think Scullion would be cheap?

JMohan

Quote from: tyrone86 on September 10, 2008, 09:45:07 PM

I'd love to know what Derry people would think about money for the manager (internal or external) and if it matters?
Do you get what you pay for?
Was it the main criteria for the last appointment?

Doire abú

Croizer wasn't paid a penny for the job. Can't see Scullion taking money either.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Doire abú on September 10, 2008, 11:33:53 PM
Croizer wasn't paid a penny for the job. Can't see Scullion taking money either.

serious naivety on both counts.

the green man

saffron sam2

Quote from: Rav67 on September 10, 2008, 05:09:06 PM
SS2-  what about Cassidy's Championship win in 05 with Bellaghy and subsequent run to the Ulster final?

The very least that would be expected of someone managing Bellaghy is a county title. Since winning their first title in 1956, Bellaghy have, on average, won a championship every 2.52 years. Hence if you manage Bellaghy for three years, an average manager would win one county title. When half that team have played senior championship for Derry, then you would expect better than average results. How many years has Cassidy managed Bellaghy?

So no, Cassidy's achievements with the Vintnerstown based team are not impressive. Compare them with one of his predecessors, Frank Dawson. When Dawson's Bellaghy team lost to Glenullin in the championship, he was run out of the town; when Cassidy's did the same, he is nominated as the new Derry manager.

And Max complains about my lack of logic.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Maximus Marillius

SS2 the difference between the Glenullin that Dawson managed to loose to and the current Glenullin team are considerable. And the fact that you are unable to appreciate that shows a serious lack of knowledge of football. Bellaghy have been to 3 finals since 2000...all of these under cassidys management. In other years when other people managed Bellaghy they have been poor and in dawsons cae a total mess...so figure it out. Also, and in my opinion this bit is crucial...none of the players wanted him to go....and in a club where success is everything and managers get shit for not being up to stratch....that in itself says alot. I mean even the beloved paudi O'Shea got hounded out of Kerry ;)

Also reading through a few of your posts where you say to have talked to this player or that about this manager or that manager. All of the players that i have met and talked to about his ability, both with derry as coach in 2000-02 ish to bellaghy  have all said he is county material.

NAG

Scullion cannot take up any post with Derry without special permisson from Ulster council which i dont think would be too forth coming, how is he going to work in the coaching set ups of tyrone and armagh whilst coaching derry. It simply isnt workable in his current position.

screenexile

He has the same position as Pat O'Shea who is the current Kerry manager who also sought the same permission and was granted it.

I highly doubt that Scullion is involved in too many Senior County Setups... managers would maybe get him in an odd time for a talk or something but every county has their own coaches of a high level without relying on TOny Scullion. This would not be the issue preventing him from taking the Derry post!

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on September 11, 2008, 11:26:38 AM
SS2 the difference between the Glenullin that Dawson managed to loose to and the current Glenullin team are considerable. And the fact that you are unable to appreciate that shows a serious lack of knowledge of football. Bellaghy have been to 3 finals since 2000...all of these under cassidys management. In other years when other people managed Bellaghy they have been poor and in dawsons cae a total mess...so figure it out. Also, and in my opinion this bit is crucial...none of the players wanted him to go....and in a club where success is everything and managers get shit for not being up to stratch....that in itself says alot. I mean even the beloved paudi O'Shea got hounded out of Kerry ;)

Also reading through a few of your posts where you say to have talked to this player or that about this manager or that manager. All of the players that i have met and talked to about his ability, both with derry as coach in 2000-02 ish to bellaghy  have all said he is county material.

You do make some valid points and I won't dispute anything you say about Frank Dawson's managerial ability. However, I will point out that Dawson's Longstone team reached the Down final last year.. so figure it out.  There are also admittedly differences between the two Glenullin teams, but there are also differences in the way the Derry championship was run in the two seasons in question. In Dawson's era, it was a straight knockout and as such it is not inconceivable that on a one-off occasion, any team could beat any other team. Now, the way in which the system is structured favours stronger teams. Is it unreasonable to guess that Dawson may have hit the same heights last year as Cassidy, had he had the same championship structure in place?

You rightly state that Bellaghy have been to three finals under Cassidy, winning one. As I said before, for a man with a Bellaghy team that is only an average record, and hence based on this, he is an average club manager. Whether or not an average club manager can make the step up to senior inter-county management is the issue here. What you don't state is that two of the loses were to Slaughtneil (their first ever win) and Glenullen (their first in many years). In short he lost finals to two admittedly strong sides, but two with a limited championship tradition.

Paidi O Se was hounded out of Kerry because, by their standards, he was crap. He subsequently proved this in Clare.

I have never spoken to any player who played under Cassidy (it was Brennan I was referring to); I am basing my opinion on cold, hard statistics and the statistics, I feel, bear out my point. It may well be that the players rate Cassidy and that he is the best man for the Derry job, but I don't see it that way.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

orangeman

Quote from: screenexile on September 11, 2008, 12:12:16 PM
He has the same position as Pat O'Shea who is the current Kerry manager who also sought the same permission and was granted it.

I highly doubt that Scullion is involved in too many Senior County Setups... managers would maybe get him in an odd time for a talk or something but every county has their own coaches of a high level without relying on TOny Scullion. This would not be the issue preventing him from taking the Derry post!

Mickey Harte gives wee talks to a lot of clubs -  he even goes to Derry clubs - he goes wherever he is asked to go and the same for Scullion.

NAG

It is more of an issue within ulster that it would be in munster with the more competitive nature of the counties up here. This is where the system falls down in that a full time emploed memeber of Ulster GAA should not be involved at this level within any one county.

Im not saying that he is involved at the top level in all counties but he is involved down through the age groups and this could lead to a conflict of interest situation (not a reflection on TC) but in a professional way this is no acceptable.

MH is not employed bu Ulster GAA he is an free lancer!