The Half-Time Tunnel Schemozzle in the 2020 Football Final

Started by IolarCoisCuain, February 19, 2022, 06:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Philly McMahon has a column in today's Irish Independent. In it, he makes reference to the scuffle in the tunnel that happened in the 2020 All-Ireland Final. Philly says that Cillian O'Connor had just missed a free before half-time, so when O'Connor walked by Philly, Philly reminded O'Connor of the miss. Three Mayo players got thick, there was a row, it blew over.

The funny thing is that Philly told a different story at the time. He was a guest on Off the Ball the Monday after the Final in 2020 and, when he was asked about the row, he said it kicked off because the Mayo players asked Eoin Murchan to do Elf on the Shelf and Murchan wouldn't. This is the link: https://www.otbsports.com/football/philly-mcmahon-tunnel-dublin-mayo-1125574

So what I'm wondering, I suppose, is if Philly was lying then, or if Philly is lying now? I hope it's now. I loved that Elf on the Shelf crack. Bad luck for the Indo's credibility, of course, if their new columnist is telling porkies, but I suppose it's hard lose what you haven't got.

Buttofthehill

Is he not talking about when Aidan O'Shea came onto the field at the end of normal time last year?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Buttofthehill on February 19, 2022, 06:57:53 PM
Is he not talking about when Aidan O'Shea came onto the field at the end of normal time last year?

He's not Butt. He specifically mentions 2020 and Cillian O'Connor in the Indo article.

Hound

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 19, 2022, 06:20:37 PM
Philly McMahon has a column in today's Irish Independent. In it, he makes reference to the scuffle in the tunnel that happened in the 2020 All-Ireland Final. Philly says that Cillian O'Connor had just missed a free before half-time, so when O'Connor walked by Philly, Philly reminded O'Connor of the miss. Three Mayo players got thick, there was a row, it blew over.

The funny thing is that Philly told a different story at the time. He was a guest on Off the Ball the Monday after the Final in 2020 and, when he was asked about the row, he said it kicked off because the Mayo players asked Eoin Murchan to do Elf on the Shelf and Murchan wouldn't. This is the link: https://www.otbsports.com/football/philly-mcmahon-tunnel-dublin-mayo-1125574

So what I'm wondering, I suppose, is if Philly was lying then, or if Philly is lying now? I hope it's now. I loved that Elf on the Shelf crack. Bad luck for the Indo's credibility, of course, if their new columnist is telling porkies, but I suppose it's hard lose what you haven't got.
FFS, Everyone knew the 'elf on the shelf' comment was Philly joking and not the real reason. Except you it seems!

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Hound on February 20, 2022, 07:58:53 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 19, 2022, 06:20:37 PM

FFS, Everyone knew the 'elf on the shelf' comment was Philly joking and not the real reason. Except you it seems!

:'(