The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Aaaaaanyway...

I hear Claire Hanna is on the radio trying to defend the indefensible decision to attend this commemoration. Only about two weeks ago, she was all over the airwaves trying to defend Michael D Higgins for his refusal to attend. Laughable stuff.

Mind you, if there's one thing Claire Hanna is consistent in, it's being inconsistent. She's a member of the SDLP, which is a sister party of FF - a party she says she doesn't like, while she has appeared at numerous Labour Party conferences but canvased at the last election for two FG candidates.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on October 08, 2021, 12:32:09 PM
Aaaaaanyway...

I hear Claire Hanna is on the radio trying to defend the indefensible decision to attend this commemoration. Only about two weeks ago, she was all over the airwaves trying to defend Michael D Higgins for his refusal to attend. Laughable stuff.

Mind you, if there's one thing Claire Hanna is consistent in, it's being inconsistent. She's a member of the SDLP, which is a sister party of FF - a party she says she doesn't like, while she has appeared at numerous Labour Party conferences but canvased at the last election for two FG candidates.

They cant be a sister party, sure boys were saying SDLP are not nationalist and FF by definition are republican. Show some consistency yourself ffs

red hander

Aaaaaanyway...

Verbose isn't the word for that one. Never even comes up for air. She and the Croppy Boy obviously have their eye on some ermine, just like Richie. Huge own goal for Stoops.

Rossfan

Would the people who vote for them think it's an own goal?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Snapchap

Quote from: red hander on October 08, 2021, 01:00:01 PM
Aaaaaanyway...

Verbose isn't the word for that one. Never even comes up for air. She and the Croppy Boy obviously have their eye on some ermine, just like Richie. Huge own goal for Stoops.

Talked herself into knots on Talkback today. Was repeatedly pressed to explain the logic behind how she maintained (and still maintains) that Higgins was right not to attend and yet argue that the SDLP is right to attend.

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on October 08, 2021, 01:02:30 PM
Would the people who vote for them think it's an own goal?

Some will, some won't. I suspect they will take some level of a hit. Going to a commemoration of partition is just so out of step with the sentiment of northern nationalism that you'd wonder how on earth anyone in their party decided this was a good idea - especially on the back of spending the best part of a fortnight telling any media outlet that would listen how Michael D was so right to decline his invite. You'd definitely wonder - but then again, they didn't earn their "stoop" nickname for nothing.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

people will like and dislike this stuff.

But people vote on jobs not this stuff

Tres Bien

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 08, 2021, 01:29:58 PM

Bottom line is the Stoops will cowtow to unionism at every given step and that's why they have been emphatically rejected by the nationalist electorate.

Voting for the stoops won't bring jobs, prosperity, better public services or facilities - it will bring a enablement of dinosaur unionist politics.

Silver hill

Fear,
On a personal level, do you think the sdlp are right to attend?

Snapchap

Yeah cos people in the six counties are so famously relaxed about the constitutional issue when it comes to politics.

Need I remind you that FG lost 15 seats at the last general election, and while that wasn't solely down to their proposal to commemorate the Black & Tans/RIC, it certainly played a part. And that's not me saying so, take it from the horses mouth:

Noel Rock (FG TD) asked if the proposed commemoration effected their performance in the subsequent general election replied ""No question. It was a big issue early in the campaign when it was fresh in the memory". Also this response to the same question from Neale Richmond: ""I have no doubt it unfortunately did have an impact on some people's campaigns".

As I say, if a proposal around a commemoration of something a century ago can cause a party to take an electoral hit in the south, you can bet your bottom dollar that it can do so in the north, and much more readily.

Rois

Quote from: Tres Bien on October 08, 2021, 01:35:56 PM

Bottom line is the Stoops will cowtow to unionism at every given step and that's why they have been emphatically rejected by the nationalist electorate.

I don't think that's the bottom line at all - I think they are cowtowing to FF, not unionism.    And I'd imagine that there's a lot of disarray internally about the decision.

I am really disappointed and don't think it's the right thing to do.  But I won't change my vote until there's a better option for me, and SF is not it. 

Tres Bien

Quote from: Rois on October 08, 2021, 01:43:41 PM
Quote from: Tres Bien on October 08, 2021, 01:35:56 PM

I don't think that's the bottom line at all - I think they are cowtowing to FF, not unionism.    And I'd imagine that there's a lot of disarray internally about the decision.

I am really disappointed and don't think it's the right thing to do.  But I won't change my vote until there's a better option for me, and SF is not it.

Whoever it's to, cowtowing is what the SDLP do. Hume was a obviously a very courageous and important political figure on this island but bar him what have they ever produced? Nothing but a bunch of self-serving Uncle Toms who will allow unionist bigotry walk all over the nationalist community without any struggle.

Eastwood is just a rotten character, the gaslighting comments he makes against the nationalist constituency at every turn is beyond sickening at this point, there's an arrogance within the SDLP to fail to accept they have been rejected by the community they claim to represent and are actively loathed by a large section of that community.

Snapchap

A brief summation of Clare Hanna's Radio Ulster interview this afternoon:

At the start of the interview, defended her partys decision to go by stating that a Church commemoration is very different to, for instance, an academic event discussing the past. Then later attacks SF for having attended an panel discussion about partition, claiming that it's "no different" to going to a Church commemoration.

Said Michael D was right to refuse to attend, but that the SDLP are right to attend.

Said Michael D rightly decided that his political neutrality meant he could't go, then repeatedly argued that the SDLP are right to go because it's definitely not a political event - (even at uttering the line "Of course it's not a political event. Everything is political")

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Silver hill on October 08, 2021, 01:41:09 PM

Fear,
On a personal level, do you think the sdlp are right to attend?

no i said that above-ive been a republican all my life.

But we are getting a UI anyhow by default and not because of any party, so people based on this are voting based other stuff

red hander

Quote from: Snapchap on October 08, 2021, 01:58:14 PM
A brief summation of Clare Hanna's Radio Ulster interview this afternoon:

At the start of the interview, defended her partys decision to go by stating that a Church commemoration is very different to, for instance, an academic event discussing the past. Then later attacks SF for having attended an panel discussion about partition, claiming that it's "no different" to going to a Church commemoration.

Said Michael D was right to refuse to attend, but that the SDLP are right to attend.

Said Michael D rightly decided that his political neutrality meant he could't go, then repeatedly argued that the SDLP are right to go because it's definitely not a political event - (even at uttering the line "Of course it's not a political event. Everything is political")

She'll disappear up her own hole one day. Absolute Stoop spoofer.