Edendork St Malachy's GFC clubhose badly damaged by fire

Started by red hander, November 08, 2008, 11:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Shocked to hear this about my old club ... hope to f**k it was accidental and not arson ... anybody got any details?

orangeman

GAA clubhouse destroyed in blaze 

A GAA clubhouse in County Tyrone has been destoyed in a fire.

The blaze at the premises in Edendork, Dungannon, was discovered at 0500 GMT on Saturday. Police are attempting to establish the cause of the fire.

The Fire and Rescue Service described the building as being reduced to "basically a shell".

Station Commander Davy Lawrence said: "It had been burning for such a long time that the roof had actually collapsed on top of the first floor.

"The building was completely destroyed and when we left it this morning, it was basically a shell," he said.

red hander

Jesus, that's bad all right ... it was a big building too

orangeman

Coming in the wake of two orange halls being attacked last weekend, it's probably a revenge attack - bigotry is still alive and well in irish society.

red hander

Quote from: orangeman on November 08, 2008, 11:11:13 AM
Coming in the wake of two orange halls being attacked last weekend, it's probably a revenge attack - bigotry is still alive and well in irish society.

Unfortunately, you're probably right orangeman

Lecale2

I went through Edendork yesterday on my way to the Tyrone Crystal factory. Is the club house that big hall in a car park set back a bit from the main road?

orangeman

Quote from: red hander on November 08, 2008, 11:13:35 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 08, 2008, 11:11:13 AM

Unfortunately, you're probably right orangeman

Too much of a coincidence me thinks.

It's a large red brick building at the top of the field on the left hand side as you go to Tyronre Crystal from Dungannon.

Gaffer

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 08, 2008, 11:22:04 AM
I went through Edendork yesterday on my way to the Tyrone Crystal factory. Is the club house that big hall in a car park set back a bit from the main road?

No. That is the old parish hall.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

omagh_gael

really bad news for edendork gac, pure scum who carried this out but what really f**k's me off are the wankers who attacked the orange halls, these pricks more than likely see themselves as some sort of big men flying the flag for republicanism but have the shortsightedness not to realise the consequences of their actions and I know it hasn't been confirmed it was arson but yet again it's the ordinary gaa folks from edendork an st johns in down who are the losers!

red hander

I have no time for the orange order but there's absolutely no excuse for attacking their halls, it's pathetic

Norf Tyrone

Good luck to the members of Edendork in the rebuilding process, and they can be sure Tyrone's clubs will row in behind them re whatever assistance they need.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

orangeman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 08, 2008, 12:21:34 PM
From the description the fireman interviewed gave, unless Edendork had a load of petrol or some sort of fire accelerator stored in the building for some reason, it's almost certainly arson. Gutted for them.

No doubt w**kers that do this and also commit arson to other sport & cultural property to make them think they're some sort of uber-patriot where setting things like these up in flames will re-unite Ireland or tell Republicans and Nationalists "don't fĂșck with us". I hope that the replacement that Edendork will almost certainly build to replace their old clubhouse will be bigger and better than before.

Rest assured - I'd say plans are already under way ! Is the famous Edendork Bingo still going ?   ;)

rrhf

Sympathies with Edendork and their community - a terrible end to a tough year for them.   Just passed the clubhouse Building there and its destroyed.  Theres a youth game being played in it at the moment and there seems to be a huge crowd out and fair play.  Just the harsh reality of the GAA in the North.     

Rufus T Firefly

Very sorry /angry to hear about this! I was in that Clubhouse about eighteen months ago with the Harps Over 35s, and we were treated royally by the locals!

Best wishes to the fellow Gaels of Edendork in the rebuilding process!

By the way - whilst not wanting to deflect the blame - the genius that thought it a good idea to torch nearby orange halls may want to think about the consequences of doing that this morning!   >:(