Gooch Retires

Started by Gold, April 04, 2017, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on April 10, 2017, 09:56:22 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 10, 2017, 09:31:09 AM
Sean Cavanagh isn't worth a shit either. Look at all those losses Tyrone suffered since 2008. Cavanagh is to blame for all those because he didn't show leadership.

And where was canavan's leadership in all the tight games he lost. Not worth a shit either using Brolly's criteria. He was great in the games Tyrone won but in the games they lost , that was when they needed him to step up.

Well to be fair Canavan kicked 11 points in a tight AI final defeat in 1995 and set up the phantom equalizer.
That was never a square ball!!

The Stallion

Just 11? By the absurd logic of some on here he was rubbish because he didn't score enough to win the game.

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 10, 2017, 11:04:10 AM
Sean Cavanagh isn't worth a shit either. Look at all those losses Tyrone suffered since 2008. Cavanagh is to blame for all those because he didn't show leadership.

And where was canavan's leadership in all the tight games he lost. Not worth a shit either using Brolly's criteria. He was great in the games Tyrone won but in the games they lost , that was when they needed him to step up.

Well to be fair Canavan kicked 11 points in a tight AI final defeat in 1995 and set up the phantom equalizer.

Most of those were frees and he also missed a late free which would've got Tyrone a draw. No bottle.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on April 10, 2017, 12:00:33 PM

Most of those were frees and he also missed a late free which would've got Tyrone a draw. No bottle.

😂

yellowcard

How many were free kicks?

Canavan was a brilliant footballer but could also be a nasty piece of work on the field as well. Who can forget the time he smashed an opponents jaw in the shower. Similar with james McCartan and smashing up the garda's jaw. The most ludicrous comparision in Brolly's article though was the mention of Michael McAuley who is about as far away to Cooper as you can get. I know that Brolly wasn't comparing Cooper with McAuley but quite why he mentioned him at all I do not know. 

BennyHarp

Quote from: yellowcard on April 10, 2017, 12:14:40 PM

Canavan was a brilliant footballer but could also be a nasty piece of work on the field as well. Who can forget the time he smashed an opponents jaw in the shower. Similar with james McCartan and smashing up the garda's jaw. The most ludicrous comparision in Brolly's article though was the mention of Michael McAuley who is about as far away to Cooper as you can get. I know that Brolly wasn't comparing Cooper with McAuley but quite why he mentioned him at all I do not know.

10 frees I think. Mostly for fouls on him. The Dubs weren't very disciplined in their tackling in those days - some things never change!

supersub

Aren't ye all talking about him.

Brolly that is, not Gooch.

Job done.

Jinxy

MacAuley is one of the least natural footballers around, but he always bursts himself to win every ball and drive the team on.
He has the 'warrior' mindset that Brolly referred to, so that's why he mentioned him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 10, 2017, 12:31:30 PM

MacAuley is one of the least natural footballers around, but he always bursts himself to win every ball and drive the team on.
He has the 'warrior' mindset that Brolly referred to, so that's why he mentioned him.

You have to use your foot to be a footballer.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on April 10, 2017, 08:27:07 AM
Brolly has a point about the overblown nature of the media coverage in the last week.
If he made that point, and that point alone, I would have no problem.
However, it's not Cooper's fault that the media now milk every story for every last headline or click-bait piece.
When Berno retires, which will be sooner rather than later, it'll be twice as bad.
That doesn't make him less of a player.

Agree 100% Jinxy,
There are so many pundits and wannabe pundits  nowadays that they all feel the need to attach their name to every piece of breaking GAA news, lest they miss an opportunity for a soundbite on The radio or a quote in some rag. Would it be safe to assume that a lot of them have P.R. people on board advising them to do same. I really get that impression when I read a lot of the comments today.

Sure Brolly has a point. It was total overkill.
More online clicks, more advertising pennies.
Was cooper brilliant absolutely, and I saw an interview on line a few years back that he did in a school in Leitrim, seems very genuine.

Tomas a Se while a brilliant footballer offers Fu*k all as an analyst. I am sure he appeals to some, or maybe someone at RTÉ thinks they have covered the GAA diversity box by having him on there,
But to me it is the same, "sure look I suppose", " I remember one time we played......."
When was the last time he had an something original or inciteful to say.
I tune him out,

Walter Cronc

Joe.ie are the biggest culprits for this trash.

Some of those articles by Conan Doherty would make you cringe!

lenny

And players like mike sheehy and jack o shea weren't all that good either as they didn't win too many tight matches. They won all their games easily against poor teams and when the dubs put it up to them a couple of times those boys went into hiding and didn't get their team over the line. Another poster on the joe brolly thread makes the same point about henry shefflin, he wasn't much good either using this new criteria which is to be applied for greatness.

Owen Brannigan

The entire 1982 Kerry team were useless, what did they do when Seamus Darby popped up and beat them singlehandedly, they lost.  Where were Mikey Sheehy, John Egan and Eoin Liston?  Who were the leaders on the Kerry team able to turn that game around when Kerry were being beaten in those last two minutes?

Under Brolly's dogma, Darby was the only man as he changed the biggest game of the year.

Il Bomber Destro

You've completely missed the point.

Nobody is expecting Cooper to have went through his career without having a bad day at the office or going missing now and again when needed. That happens every player.

However, in Cooper's career there has been the distinct absence of any case that can be referred to where in a big game, when Kerry really need him to take a game by the scruff of the neck, where it actually came to fruition. Canavan did it throughout his career, you might recall the time when you lads were reigning All Ireland champions and he inspired his side who were down to 13 men to an Ulster semi final victory over you. For most of the 90s Canavan was a one man team. Cavanagh has plenty of those moments as well, the Ulster final last year, the 2008 All Ireland final. Guys like Joyce, Bradley, McManus, McConville are guys who delivered the goods on a consistent basis and did it when the heat was on.

But there are none of these moments for Cooper and while he might be one of the most talented players of his generation, he's not one of the greatest.